Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was going through some of the stuff I brought home from Iraq with me, and I ran across a couple of bottles of doxycycline. It's a broad-range antibiotic that comes in pill form, it was given to us in case we were exposed to biological warfare agents. Obviously, that never happened, although we took them fairly regularly to keep away the desert crud.

Anyway, I tossed them in the freezer, and I take a pill once in a while when I'm not feeling well, and it usually shocks the crap out of my system.

Anyone know how long these things are good for? Is the freezer a good place to keep them? What's a good replacement if I run out of them for whatever reason? And does anyone else do this?

ANM

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
might try typing the name in your search engine- a good many of the drugs have at least some information on the internet, short of that, try asking your pharmacist or md

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am fortunate to be the captain of a salvage ship engaged in international trade. That gives me access to lots of good medicines without the hassle of trying to explain to a doctor or hmo officer why I need them. I hand the pharmasist a letter on my ships stationary requesting the drugs I want and the quantities I need and the perscription is usually filled without question. I try to keep a variety of antibiotics, pain relievers, paragoric, lomitil, lidocaine, morphine, etc. in my ship's medicine locker; you never know what you will encounter at sea except that it will happen at the worst time and as far away from help as you can get.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
Holy cow!! I haven't seen anyone mention Paragoric in thirty years. Used to use it in the 1950's for Montezuma's Revenge. You also have Lomotil, so the Paragoric is for those "recalcitrant" cases? :eek: :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
My wife travels with me aboard the Lana, she has really bad periods sometimes, the paragoric helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Doxycycline, and most antibiotics are generally good for 1 year after they were given out to you. There are many things that "kill" or increase the decomposition rate for meds. Some are heat, moisture, and sun light. The best way to store them for long term, is to place the meds in a food saver freezer bag and then keep them frozen. If done correctly, then there sould be no air or any moisture inside the freezer bag. Most meds should last approx 5 years if stored that way. Most meds are still viable and can be used even after being expired. The main difference is that you will absorb a lower usable dosage. With some meds that is ok but with others, very specific dosages may be required for them to work properly. Keep you meds out of heat and wet (including humid) areas and out of direct sunlight and that simple measure should increase the life span of your medications greatly.

Hope this helps.
CS
:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anti's

Do a search for Colloidal Silver. I was on anti's for 2 years with sinus infections. Anti's did more harm to my body. I use colloidal silver. Problem went away and I feel better. Multi use.

ot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but how about some thoughts as to wshat is an adviseable/reasonable cache of medications for SHTF scenarios, esp short term? If I'm out of order just shitcasn this post, but it seemed like a logical extension. Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is my thinking, along with the other stuff in a med kit (sterile dressings, antiseptics, surgical scissors, forceps etc.):

You'll want some painkillers -- whatever is legal. Aspirin, paracetemol and codeine are a good idea I think (do you have codein in the US? It's fairly strong...) The paracetemol is an alternative to aspirin for those who are allergic.

So-called 'dihorria' (sp?) tablets (e.g. Imodium) would be useful, in case of upset stomachs. (It sounds weird, but these could actually save your life!)

Water purification tablets would be in plentiful supply. ('Piriton', 'Stereotabs', trioxane etc.)

Obviously, amount and exact types would vary depending upon the size of your group, and special needs of the group, and projected time that they would have to last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts