Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this study by luckygunner.com via TheFirearmBlog.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test
There is a 2:52min video summary, and extensive write-ups
This was a short-running study; as quickly as 10000 rounds could be run through each of four rifles. It does a good job of comparing the effects of ammo, so a shooter can decide for himself the cost/wear decision for himself.

Personally, I don't like ammo dumping, so at slower rates of fire, the difference in performance and wear will likely be un-noticeable, so steel is not totally unattractive to me.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Uncle Sam made millions of galvanized steel cased rounds of .45 SCP in 1943. I know I bought, and fired about 1000 rounds of it and had no issues other than dealing with the corrosive primers. That was pretty much par for the course anyway in my youth.

Would have been really interesting if they'd tested the steel case ammo Hornaday sells.

Wonder if the Bushie barrels were chrome plated? We had about the same barrel wear with M193 in unplated barrels, but it took more than 6K rounds.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
That was a good study, but I have to say there was nothing there that surprised me. I’ve had great results with Russian steel case ammo in a number of differing firearms. It’s a magnificent value for practice ammo. And if you’re using it in an AR you have to just understand that the propellants are not optimized for the DI gas system. So it will dirty up the works a whole lot faster than US made ammunition…But that won’t happen until you’re at a rather high round count.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts