Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stephen Hunter has a new book out, The Third Bullet, it involves the JFK killing. I haven't read it yet but I think Bob Lee Swagger is in it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yessir, it is a Bob Lee Swagger novel. A little different from the rest. Bob is older and slower (aren't we all?) but is drawn into a re-investigation of the JFK assassination.

Only about 100 pages in, but it's got me hooked...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I just got it but am finishing up Clancy's newest now.

"The Third Bullet" got a very favorable review on NPR last week.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Yessir, it is a Bob Lee Swagger novel. A little different from the rest. Bob is older and slower (aren't we all?) but is drawn into a re-investigation of the JFK assassination.

Only about 100 pages in, but it's got me hooked...
All he need do is read Bill O'Reilly's new book, Killing Kennedy.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm reading O'Reilly's book now -- which is pretty good. I think I will be getting Hunter's book too.
A few years back I read another mystery that was set in and around the Kennedy assassination .... but I can't remember the title!! :censored:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Hunter touched on this in an early Swagger Novel, POI maybe?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I'll be ordering it in a couple weeks. There's a new book coming out on the A-1 Skyraider in Vietnam that I want, and the way Amazon works, it's almost cheaper to order a second book just to get the total sale over $25 and get free shipping than to order just one item, so I'll get the new Hunter book then. I hope it's better than his last, which was a bit of a letdown. But then there were hardly any Swaggers in that one at all.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Clancy book are you reading Charlie?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
"The Third Bullet" is Hunter's best Bob Lee book in quite a while.

I do have one problem and that is a disconnect between "Point of Impact" and "The Third Bullet".
At the end of "Point of Impact" Hunter left us with a plot "hook". Lon Scott left his safety deposit box to the NRA.
When opened, it contained some fired .264, 162 grain bullets.

The inference was, Scott had shot JFK with bullets fired from Oswald's Carcano using the same paper patching technique they tried to frame Bob Lee with.
However, "The Third Bullet" takes an entirely different path and ignores the hook.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Charlie, is "Threat Vector" written by Clancy? I know it sounds like a silly question, but it seems that the last few years most of his novels are "collaborations", like he maybe plots it out but someone else actually writes it.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
It’s going to be a long while before I pick that one up. I’ve decided to re-read all the Clancy “Jack Ryan Series” novels in story line chronological order. I just started a couple night ago, and I’m about 2/3 of the way through Without Remorse. Next comes Patriot Games, and then I believe Red Rabbit. I’m looking forward to re-reading Patriot Games again. Over this last year I read quite a bit on The Troubles, which has changed my viewpoints on the IRA considerably. Turns out, most often violence was either first take by, or strongly provoked by the Ulsters (Protestant Loyalists) first…and in most cases, the Brit’s just conveniently looked the other way.

Reading the issues at hand, I understand how things degenerated into the violence that it did…I don’t condone it at all; but I understand it. The British Government could have stopped it all before it got started…they really screwed the pooch bad, and paid for it. I’m glad there’s peace there (fragile that it may be), and I hope they can all continue to live together in peace. I’d love to take a tour of Belfast and Derry. The wall art (which is graffiti, just well done) is very interesting.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Charlie, is "Threat Vector" written by Clancy? I know it sounds like a silly question, but it seems that the last few years most of his novels are "collaborations", like he maybe plots it out but someone else actually writes it.
No it's another collaboration. The last two were downright decent books, fun to read; lots of action. The story telling is not up to Clancy's standards and some of the technical stuff is a little off here and there; but never more than just a very minor annoyance. They're decent stories, well written, and enjoyable.

I have to say, I'm such a huge Jack Ryan storyline fan, that there's no way I can not read the new books; I just have to know what happens in that world.

So you have to consider the books as standalone works…if it didn't have Clancy's name on the front, what would you think of the book? I would say it they were good books, and I'd read more books by those authors.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks, Kevin. I enjoyed Clancy's early works, and really liked the novels spotlighting John Clark (Hey, his real name is John Terrence Kelly!!)
and Ding Chavez.

Guess I need to check out Amazon and pick up where I left off.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Thanks, Kevin. I enjoyed Clancy's early works, and really liked the novels spotlighting John Clark (Hey, his real name is John Terrence Kelly!!)
and Ding Chavez.

Guess I need to check out Amazon and pick up where I left off.
The new books have a LOT of Ding and Clark, so you can imagine that's where the action comes from. There's also Jack Ryan Jr. who's coming into his own, and partnering up with Clark and Chavez...youd think his dad would have him keep better company; trouble follows those two and seems to rub off onto JR on a regular basis. And in the end, that's why we read those books, we like to mentally check out of the real world and enjoy a good adventure.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Just finished Clancy... very good book... and have started on Hunter.

New thought for the day: "they'd die of extreme ventilation of the twelve gauge variety."

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I started reading Hunter two nights ago. One historical nitpick: He speaks of medals with three bars signifying one killed three Tiger II tanks in the ruins of Stalingrad. The Tiger II's did not see action until a year after the Battle of Stalingrad. I know it's a little thing but it bugged me all the same.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hunter is a lot more knowledgeable then most writers who know nothing about what they write about, but he does make mistakes from time to time usually, anachronisms.

One in "Pale Horse Coming" has Earl Swagger armed with a Colt Trooper several years before it was made.

Another has him "chambering a round" in a Thompson SMG.

People make mistakes, but at least he doesn't have someone "releasing the safety" on a Glock.
He's at least a gun guy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts