Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
folks,

can someone post the stock number/manufacturer for the NON +P, HP 38SPL ammo i've heard about??? i think it's 135grain.

my lady lives in TX & nobody she's found in San Antonio is stocking it, but they are willing to order anything she wants.

she has a 2" Charter Arms 38 undercover for CCW.

THANKS.

free dixie,sw

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
I bet you're thinking about the Gold Dot, but it is a +P load.

I think it is unwise to try to turn a snubbie into anything more with just ammo... a better choice might be 148 gr. wadcutter and shoot well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
IF it's the Speer Gold Dot 135 +P "Short Barrel" ammo you're asking about:

23921 - 20 round box
53921 - 50 round box (usually for LE)

Forgot to add: It might be worthwhile to check with Florida Bullet/Mirage Technologies. I bought several 50 round boxes from them, each for less that most places had 20 round boxes.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to ALL,

i'm NOT inclined to shoot "+P anything" in either her charter arms snubbie OR in my treasured 1st-issue COBRA (which i carried for decades as a back-up/hideout piece, when i was "behind the star")!

the hunt for a FINE defensive ammo for the "little guys" continues!

THANKS!

free dixie,sw

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Take a look at Federals PD38HS3H 110 grain HydraShok. It's listed as a non-Plus P in thier catalog. Then there's Remington's R38S6 158 grain SWC. It's not a +P either. And there's also Winchester's 110 grain SilverTip, X38S9HP. But other than +Ps, I can't find anything in the 130-135 grain weights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Corbon's 110 gr DPX is the cat's meow in standard pressure .38 Special. Older tech, but way less expensive (when you can find it), is Federal's 125 gr Nyclad.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I shoot the Gold Dot 135 gr. +P in a 2" J-frame; it's very accurate and powerful. That said, I should note that the J-frame I shoot is a titanium S&W Model 342 (specifically rated for +P jacketed ammo). I originally purchased it in 1999 when I was in Texas and had a Concealed Handgun License.

I use to shoot it with the Uncle Mike Boot Grips...man, that was quite a handful. Now the Mod. 342 sports CT LaserGrips (LG-305). They make it more comfortable and a lot of fun to shoot. Even with the larger LaserGrips, however, the first 20 rounds of the Gold Dot are fun, the next 10 are okay, and after that it ain't much fun.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
denver dick,

"ain't much fun" how well i UNDERSTAND that! (chuckle)

free dixie,sw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts