Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retmsgt. said:
Kept bouncing back and forth between it and a USAF-Marked M15 snubbie the guy wanted $600.00 for.
I used to have a co-worker who was working OSI when they took away their chopped-and-channeled 1911's and gave them back the M-15's. He said he and his buddies pleaded to purchase the 1911's, to no avail. I get the impression that USAF has been pretty tight with anything so marked getting away from them.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Re: Recession Gun Show Report

I hope you're kicking yourself for not pulling the trigger. USAF snubbies are real goodies because most of them got the torch. Downside is that there are some fakes so you do need to look closely. Don't cry about the Gold Cup though... they're a dime a dozen/// :wink:

I used to go to every OGCA show when they were in Columbus but it's quite a hike now and the shows are a lot smaller. Still, when I do go I usually find something I can't live without.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

Kevin Gibson said:
Probably best to pass on the S&W, MOST of those are fakes.
Besides which, the 2" Smith 15 is IMHO just about the stupidest gun they ever made. (I'd love to have one of the standard 4"ers, though, like the one I carried.)

A few years ago, at a gun show, there was a guy selling custom grips and he had about a dozen of them mounted on the back HALF of torch-cut S&W K frames that otherwise had nice shiny blue on them. Two guesses where they had come from. :( :( :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Snake45 said:
Besides which, the 2" Smith 15 is IMHO just about the stupidest gun they ever made. (I'd love to have one of the standard 4"ers, though, like the one I carried.)
Differences of opinion are what make horse races.

If a square butt on a K-frame revolver fits your hand better than a round butt and...

If you need to be able to zero your revolver for a particular load and...

If you actually need a two-inch revolver, perhaps for snubby-class in a PPC match...

It may not be so stupid.

Back when I was teaching with LFI in southern California, Mas invited a well known gun writer from South Africa to be his guest in the LFI-I course. As the guy was known to be a skilled shooter, Mas suggested that he might bring a snubby, so as to challenge himself when it came time to shoot the "qualification." Not wishing to shoot less than a "possible" score, they guy went into his gun safe and dug out a two-inch M-15.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

Yeah, I know, Chuck Taylor loves his 2" M15, too. But your "ifs" don't apply to me, and I just don't get it. :ehsmile:

Round the butt and add a third inch of barrel, and I'm so there. :wink:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

Snake45 said:
Yeah, I know, Chuck Taylor loves his 2" M15, too. But your "ifs" don't apply to me, and I just don't get it. :ehsmile:

Round the butt and add a third inch of barrel, and I'm so there. :wink:
Even just a half inch makes a big difference in how they ride in the holster, and most importantly eject the spent cases

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

Snake45 said:
...Besides which, the 2" Smith 15 is IMHO just about the stupidest gun they ever made. (I'd love to have one of the standard 4"ers, though, like the one I carried.)
Couldn't agree with you more, 2" 15, 10, 64, 67, etc were a waste of time. Add just one meesly, lousy inch to a K frame and you have a completely different animal. 3 inch points better, maintains more oomph in the .38 Special, sits on your hip better; in short, pretty much do EVERYTHING much better.

The 4" model 15 is the best .38 Special combat revolver ever built. I probably isn't a fluke they're called the Combat Masterpiece. They carry well, they handle well, and OH MAN do they shoot.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

Kevin Gibson said:
Snake45 said:
...Besides which, the 2" Smith 15 is IMHO just about the stupidest gun they ever made. (I'd love to have one of the standard 4"ers, though, like the one I carried.)
Couldn't agree with you more, 2" 15, 10, 64, 67, etc were a waste of time. Add just one meesly, lousy inch to a K frame and you have a completely different animal.
Don't forget to round the butt while you're at it. If you have to carry and/or concel a full-size butt, you might as well carry/conceal a 4" barrel, too.

3 inch points better, maintains more oomph in the .38 Special, sits on your hip better; in short, pretty much do EVERYTHING much better.

The 4" model 15 is the best .38 Special combat revolver ever built. I probably isn't a fluke they're called the Combat Masterpiece. They carry well, they handle well, and OH MAN do they shoot.
Agree on both points. Being naturally contrary, I tried to think of a better 4" .38 Special (only) combat revolver than the model 15/67 and just can't do it.

I don't own one, but I do own a 4" 19 and two 3" 66s. And possibly the second best .38 combat revolver ever, a Colt Diamondback.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

I keep kicking around the idea of picking up one of these since the price is just plain dirt cheap. I'm not crazy about the DAO part, but that could be fixed by a trip to the gun show for parts. The finish is a little rough on these, but if one were looking for a handgun to keep in the car, you'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Oh, and I agree with you on the round butt part.

The other option is to pick up one of these , cut the barrel down to 3" and install a tritium front sight into a dovetail. The 3" HB K frame revolvers are getting rather hard to find and pricey when you do find them. If I got one of these, I could cut it down myself for nuttin, and then cut a dovetail for a 1911 sight, and install a tritium sight. I did this about 15 years ago (actually, I also did a comp in the barrel back then, but I have much better taste now), and it made for a very nice revolver. While I'm at it, I'd also chamfer the front edge of the cylincer a-la-black powder Colt SAA style.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

Kevin Gibson said:
I keep kicking around the idea of picking up one of these since the price is just plain dirt cheap. I'm not crazy about the DAO part, but that could be fixed by a trip to the gun show for parts. The finish is a little rough on these, but if one were looking for a handgun to keep in the car, you'd be hard pressed to find something better.
Sweet, but I'd want to pick mine out in person. If you get one, I might have a spare brand-new Target Hammer (stripped), with SA notch intact, I could donate to the project. Let me know and I'll try to find it (if indeed I still have one--can't promise).

The other option is to pick up one of these , cut the barrel down to 3" and install a tritium front sight into a dovetail. The 3" HB K frame revolvers are getting rather hard to find and pricey when you do find them. If I got one of these, I could cut it down myself for nuttin, and then cut a dovetail for a 1911 sight, and install a tritium sight. I did this about 15 years ago (actually, I also did a comp in the barrel back then, but I have much better taste now), and it made for a very nice revolver. While I'm at it, I'd also chamfer the front edge of the cylincer a-la-black powder Colt SAA style.
That sounds like a great project. I LOVE the dovetailed 1911 tritium front sight idea!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I had no idea that I'd stir up such a flurry simply by pointing out that some people may actually have a use for a two-inch M-15.

Personally, I think that three inches is the ideal barrel length for a revolver for discreet carry - so long as you're tall enough for it to clear leather - and I find that a round butt fits my hand better than a square butt. However, I also recognize that just because a particular firearm is a good choice for me, doesn't mean it's best for anyone else.

For example, I can imagine that a woman who is more comfortable carrying in the appendix position than in the FBI position, may find a nice companion in the form of a two-inch K-frame revolver and, in the drape of a pullover garment, may not find the square butt of the M-15 to be as big an issue with regard to printing as if the gun were worn behind the hip joint. Whether the square but would be more ergonomic for her than a round butt is a separate issue but, if she were to carry a 110 gr. load, such as CorBon's DPX, she may appreciate the adjustable sights in place of fixed sights regulated for a 158 gr. load.

As I said in my earlier comment, "Differences of opinion are what make horse races." Things come and go in the world of firearms. While the two-inch M-15 does not appear to have been a great commercial success, I'm sure there are many owners of them who do not wish to give them up. On the other hand, I find it curious that S&W no longer offers any all-steel K-frame revolvers with three-inch barrels and round butts.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

I would love to see S&W offer an aluminum K frame with round butt and 3" lightweight barrel profile. The problem with that is, it would be an ugly revolver and probably wouldn't sell.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

spwenger said:
I had no idea that I'd stir up such a flurry simply by pointing out that some people may actually have a use for a two-inch M-15.
No one denies that some people like them. I even cited one such "expert." I just said that IMHO that gun makes to sense to me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Kevin Gibson said:
I would love to see S&W offer an aluminum K frame with round butt and 3" lightweight barrel profile. The problem with that is, it would be an ugly revolver and probably wouldn't sell.
And the Ruger LCR is a good-looking revolver?

I don't happen to favor lightweight revolvers but one of my students purchased the Pro-series three-inch M-60 with the reduced-profile barrel, including a skeletonized underlug. The last time I looked on the S&W website, I no longer saw that model listed.

What I have noticed is the introduction of 2 ½" full-underlug barrels on a few of the J-frame guns.

Perhaps it's time to split off this thread.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

spwenger said:
Perhaps it's time to split off this thread.
Agreed and done.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts

Kevin Gibson said:
While I agree that the old-style fixed-sight, tapered barrels were ugly, the N-frame 520 handled it the best. It had a tapered-barrel with a rib and underlug, sort of like a Model 28 barrel without a sight ramp. For a lightweight, fixed-sight K-frame, I'd use an original Model 15 tapered barrel, minus the sight ramp.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts

Daniel Watters said:
[quote="Kevin Gibson":33j6iyk1]I would love to see S&W offer an aluminum K frame with round butt and 3" lightweight barrel profile. The problem with that is, it would be an ugly revolver and probably wouldn't sell.
While I agree that the old-style fixed-sight, tapered barrels were ugly, the N-frame 520 handled it the best. It had a tapered-barrel with a rib and underlug, sort of like a Model 28 barrel without a sight ramp. For a lightweight, fixed-sight K-frame, I'd use an original Model 15 tapered barrel, minus the sight ramp.[/quote:33j6iyk1]
I like this idea! Add Kevin's dovetailed tritium front sight and we've got a sure winner!

Come to think of it, though, couldn't the K's butt be shortened by a half or three-quarters of an inch? Would require a new mainspring, of course....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Kevin Gibson said:
My earlier comment seems to have vanished in the split of this thread...

While I, personally, have little use for lightweight revolvers, one of my students purchased the three-inch Pro Series M-60, with the slimmed barrel whose underlug is skeletonized. I notice they offer a similar barrel treatment on the Pro Series 686 SR and 627 models so I suppose it's possible. Knowing S&W, I suspect they'd be more likely to do it with a scandium-frame .357 Magnum.

I also notice that 2 ½" full-underlug barrels have cropped up on a few J-frame offerings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts