Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading over on the Garand board and saw a post about how you shouldn't fire your Garand at a high rate of fire if you don't want it to wear out. I was wondering if this can happen with the Carbine or is it because of the 30-06 round that it heats up so fast?

·
Registered
257 Posts
SK,
While I have no technical data on it all I can say is whomever posted that is full of B.S. The Garand for instance was designed as a Main Battle Rifle, And the GI's who used them in combat werent concerned with a low rate of fire in the heat of a battle, these rifles have seen thousands and thousands of rounds through them and still function flawlessly after all that is what it is designed for. The carbine from personal experience can handle a lot of ammo in a short time with no ill-effects, Back in 2000 when I picked up my first carbine a standard products, I bought a 1000 round case of ammo and within the period of a day went through all 1000 rounds, the rate of fire that I used was as fast as I could pull the trigger for much of it, and the barrel did get extremely hot(it would burn you if you touched it). And the wood stock started emmitting a strange aroma, but alas it made it through the day, the muzzle is still extremely tight and the action functions like a hot knife through butter. Like I said this is just my take on all of this and I may stand corrected. Just my .02$

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You can fire either as fast as you like and it won't bother them. These rifles are designed for rapid shooting. However, the parts will wear faster. Rifles are nothing more than mechanical devices and if abused will wear out faster. Mind you, shooting any rifle fast will wear out the parts faster.
It's a waste of ammo though. The guys who load their rifles and empty them as fast as they can are not shooters. They're kids with too much money. They'll never learn to shoot well by blasting away and they give the public the wrong idea of what shooting and shooters are all about.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
extensive use rapid fire will wear the throat of your barrel much faster.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys I was just curious. I think really the only few times I've done rapid fire was when a farmer said we could blast all the pumpkins we wanted for 15 dollars and then come back when ever we wanted. I almost felt sorry for the orange devils (NOT!). I agree Sunray those guys are not shooters they are just big kids with expensive toys that they know nothing about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts