Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my first AR. I have settled on a RRA or if I have the money a White Oak, suggestions here?
I have been looking at the RRA A4 NM, I want to NM trigger. My main concern is, I want a rifle where I can switch between optics and iron sights. I want to use the detatch carry handle so it will act as practice for my issued M16A2/203. My question is, do I have to get flip sights so I can use a scope, or can I use the standard front sights with a scope? What kind of iron sights, mounts should I look at? Should I try to get a gas block with a sight mount?
If you have any suggestions on a different rifle, let me know. THANKS!
:soldier:

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
You CAN use a scope with a standard front sight, but since you're starting from scratch, you might as well get a gas block to start with. Bolt on GI-type front sights are available for as little as $35. Without the front sight in the way, you can mount any kind of scope or non-magnifying optic LOW, where you can get a good cheek weld.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I like Snake's idea the best. Main thing is to start laying in 5.56 brass all you can find as it is drying up fast.

you might also consider ordering it without flash suppressor as they cause more problems than they cure for accuracy down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Build it yourself.

I suggest you buy parts and put it together yourself. Or at least a lower receiver and parts kit, and then a barrelled upper. You would be surprised at how easy it is and there are plenty of resources out there for you on the internet. I built one last year and it took less than 2 hours to put together, including mounting the barrel, free float handguards and aligning sights. I used flip up rear and front sights so I can mount any kind of optic to it that I'd like. This also gives you the flexibility of switching up pistol grips, stocks, etc. as part of the initial purchase.

On my CAR upper I switch between an ACOG and an EOtech and on my standard upper, I use either the carry hadle iron sights or a 4-12x scope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts