Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see NBC has cancelled The Cape, and its final episode is available only for online or cable on-demand viewing. (I HATE it when they do that.) :evil: :evil: :evil:

This makes four failed sci-fi shows for the lovely Summer Glau: Firefly, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, and The Cape. None of them was bad, and at least one was truly outstanding. Is she cursed, or a curse? :?

Other Firefly alumni are doing better. Nathan Filion's Castle is completing a second (presumably successful) season on ABC (even if he's carrying the whole show on his talented back), as is Morina Baccarin's V (I didn't think it was possible to hate such a beautiful woman so much). Adam Baldwin has done four seasons now on NBC's silly Chuck, and Zoe and Kaylee turn up from time to time on TV.

Shame that Summer can't seem to find a home, especially since she looked even better on The Cape than she ever has before. :? :(

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Castles in it's 3rd season, I don't know how well it's doing against Hawi'i 50.

Geoff
Who hulus Castle, because he needs his beauty sleep.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I disagree. Yes, she's been on four series that have been canceled. However, most series are canceled, and there are actors who have worked their entire careers without having a long-running series to their name, let alone four that lasted a season or more. She is known eye-candy, and recognizable as well. She's proven to those who care about such things that she shows up on time, knows her lines, and works well with others.

What looms in her future is what awaits all pretty young actresses; not being young any more. Unless they are stunning like Jennifer Beals (Chicago Code) acting jobs for women dry up past 40 years of age. (JB happens to be 47, for those of you who care.)

So, I'm sure the plan is to work every job she can while they are there, and sock the money away. Finding a hubby might also be part of the plan. Past 40, take what jobs there are, and avoid like the plague offers from "Dancing with the stars."

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick Sweeney said:
She is known eye-candy, and recognizable as well. She's proven to those who care about such things that she shows up on time, knows her lines, and works well with others.
Oh, agreed. She's a pro, and a talented and good-looking one. She wasn't my favorite character or actor on Firefly, but I've liked her more and more with each role since then.

I didn't mean to suggest that she was doing anything wrong, or that she was unlikable or anything. Maybe that her mother had pissed off a gypsy, or she'd been bad in a previous life, or something of the sort. I'd like to see her catch a big break--she deserves one. :wink:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't forget the 4400 and The Unit.

Most series today that get canceled do so because they are not so good. A few are canceled because the "suits" are impatient. They can't leave a good show alone to garner an audience, and if it does get one, they can't keep from tinkering with it to increase the audience.

Firefly is a special case, the "suits" at SyFy are morons.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patrick Sweeney said:
Don't forget the 4400 and The Unit.
I never saw 4400 and had forgotten about her guest shots on Unit until you mentioned it.

Firefly is a special case, the "suits" at SyFy are morons.
Firefly was on FOX. Or did you mean that SyFy had a chance to pick it up and didn't? In which case, yes, they would be morons. And then so too would be HBO and Showtime. And everybody else. :wink:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Snake45 said:
>>>>>, or she'd been bad in a previous life, or something of the sort. I'd like to see her catch a big break--she deserves one. :wink:
Summer Glau in Bad In A Previous Life, I'd watch that! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fox screwed Firefly from the jump by giving it the death-slot of Friday nights. That's where you send shows to die, to burn off episodes of stuff you've cancelled but already paid for. Nobody watches TV on Friday night. If they'd put it on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday night, it would prolly still be running.

Well, on the bright side: We never had to watch it jump any silly-ass sharks, like Battlestar Galactica did from about the third season on.

I'm surprised Fringe is holding on on Friday nights now. And even more surprised that it actually seems to be getting better and better, not worse.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Snake45 said:
I see NBC has cancelled The Cape, and its final episode is available only for online or cable on-demand viewing. (I HATE it when they do that.) :evil: :evil: :evil:

This makes four failed sci-fi shows for the lovely Summer Glau: Firefly, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, and The Cape. None of them was bad, and at least one was truly outstanding. Is she cursed, or a curse? :?

Other Firefly alumni are doing better. Nathan Filion's Castle is completing a second (presumably successful) season on ABC (even if he's carrying the whole show on his talented back), as is Morina Baccarin's V (I didn't think it was possible to hate such a beautiful woman so much). Adam Baldwin has done four seasons now on NBC's silly Chuck, and Zoe and Kaylee turn up from time to time on TV.

Shame that Summer can't seem to find a home, especially since she looked even better on The Cape than she ever has before. :? :(
I don't think Ms Glau is cursed. I do think that Sci-Fi is a difficult sell on network TV. Not many Sci-Fi series make the cut. Most deserve it, some don't. The networks treat them like bastard step-children, and usually give them the lousiest time slots.

Diamondback said:
And the only two hours a week I watched were CriMi and NCIS--I've already served up the "Alpha Mike Foxtrot" on 'em, and will get my CM fixes via A&E and Ion and my NCIS from USA... other than that, Leverage on TNT has recently caught my eye as another filler when I get tired of Food Network, Discovery (for MythBusters and Sons of Guns only--Will and I are boardmates over at Saiga Forum) and History/Military Channels.
I resisted watching NCIS because of the premise. I mean, most of the crime they investigate in real life is pretty mundane. I started watching the re-runs on USA, and I got hooked. I found I could suspend my disbelief because the characters were so well written. It's in its 8th season, and the ratings are its highest ever. I think it's because they actually kill a Muslim terorrist or two. I don't watch much else on network TV. NCIS, House, Bones and SVU (My wifes favorite) are about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts