Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the warm weather here a yearly ritual is back in full swing. Every Sunday morning around 9AM waitresses at Michael’s Bar & Grill bring pots of coffee outside along with plenty of cups, creamer and sugar. Menus are put out on the benches in the patio area facing the parking lot. Munenn and I pulled into the parking lot and parked next to the wall separating the patio area with the parking lot. Three other bikers were also there. Within thirty minutes the parking lot became jam packed with motorcycles of every brand and style. From customized tourers to sportbikes, café racers, and cruisers. Young and old, husbands and wives all came to enjoy the morning and share a cup a coffee with other motorcycle enthusiasts.

Walking around the parking lot taking pictures of the morning attendees I couldn’t keep up with the influx of bikers. Four cruisers would rumble in. Behind them another three sportbikes. If awards were going to be given out, the award for most original motorcycle accessory would go to the owner of the Gold Wing with a Corvette for a trailer.

The attire ranged from full race track leathers to retro style chaps and goggles. The best part of this ritual is the fact that different styles of riders all come together to enjoy each others company.

By Noon the participants started to mount their bikes and head off. Some going for quiet leisurely rides alone on country roads. Others leaving in groups bigger than when they arrived. When Munenn and I left the parking lot and got back on the main road we passed a decent amount of bikers. With the traditional wave between riders as we passed each other, the warm weather and biking season has been ushered in.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice pictures

reminds me of a weekly get-together here in SoCal on the car side. Every Saturday morning from about 6am until 9am, one of the local strip mall parking lots becomes a hangout and is chock full of all kinds of restored iron, from full-blown Cobras to street rods, repros, kit cars, classics, etc.

It started out "way back when" as three guys with hot rods who would stop at the local donut shot for coffee and donuts. Over the years friends joined them, and today it is a major Saturday morning event with all kinds of cars and all kinds of visitors. 8)

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last Sunday I managed to pry myself away from the computer long enough to head down to Michael’s Bar & Grill again. While there were a lot less bikes out (some bike thing was going on elsewhere at the same time), some are worth posting…

Attachments

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With Munenn in front on his Triumph (his Mad Max bike) and me on my Ducati right behind we were off again to Michael’s Bar & Grill for breakfast. Turnout started real slow with the threat of rain but as the sky cleared more and more bikers showed up. Here is a sampling of what showed up…

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
You rancid little pain in my ass...

my "heart belongs to Ducati", huh?
Even if I was willing to ride 3 hours to get a bike serviced, you have to admit that fat, old, balding guys like me look about as silly riding a Ducati as we do a 19 year old honey.
By the way, you're getting on, aren't you? And how's that "middle age spread" of yours coming along?

Having said that, though- wasn't that Darmah I was stareing at something?

Oh, while I'm ragging on you, I do not "own BMW and Triumph".
I own 2 BMWs and 1 Triumph, not their parent companies. If I was that rich, I'd have a hell of a lot more bikes. Maybe even a Ducati.

You out there, Gunny? It's pile on Fernando time again.........

·
Registered
123 Posts
A 1000DS Monster with the usual engine mods, clip-ons, and rearsets would be a lot of fun, and probably paint a huge "arrest me now" target on my back.

And speaking of Schmit- Gunny, what shape is your bike in these days, anyway? When do the 3 of us get to go fo a ride?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Yo Fernando

Just where is this place "Michael's Bar & Grill?

Way, way back in the day (late 70's) before I had my spinal injury (totally unrelated to Motorcycles, of course) I had a Suzuki GS 550. (the four stroke, not the indestructible 2-stroke GT)

Man, those were the days. That was a bit before the crotch-rockets became ubiquitous. Then the speed kings were the 1100's
I'd certainly heard of Ducatis but had never seen one. I was pretty much into rice-burners. Never really got the Harley thing but that's just a different feeling.

Best,

Ed

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed – Michael’s is off of Route 15/501 in Chapel Hill, NC, which is roughly 10 miles SW of Durham.

I’m stuck between the Sport Touring and Sportbikes myself. Never got into the Harleys, although the new Victory Vegas is one very cool looking bike for a cruiser.

Ducati pretty much set the standard for “crotch rockets” with their 851 Superbike and later with the 888. In 1993 they came out with the v-twin 916 that spanked all the other bikes in the racing circuits. The 916 style (916/996/998) is probably the most famous of all the Ducatis and what most people picture in their minds when they hear the name.

One thing for sure, there is nothing like the sound of a Ducati. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Really?

Fernando Coelho said:
Ed - Michael's is off of Route 15/501 in Chapel Hill, NC, which is roughly 10 miles SW of Durham.

For some reason, I had the idea the you were from NY. Not sure whre I picked up that idea.

One thing for sure, there is nothing like the sound of a Ducati. :thumbsup:
I can lay in bed at night on warm nights when the window is open and sometimes I'll hear someone going through rour or five gears from the highway and it always brings a smile to my face.

Cheers,

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts