Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have a Super 38 AMU that was found new, in the box, with Colt's 3 round test target, and all orginal paperwork (in a box of junk in an old garage!). The guys at the 1911 Forum suggested that you all would be the best ones to speak to its rarity and value. I can't get my pics to post here but they are on the 1911 forum at http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=281061 . (I think that to view the pics, one must be registered with 1911 Forum). Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jwp.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
What came up was a thread on titanium parts. OK, you corrected that, but I can't view the pics. What little I (think I) know is that actual .38 AMU pistols were the product of the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit (hence the AMU). They were essentially chambered for 38 Special cases that had been machined into a rimless case head with extractor groove.

There may have been imitations, possibly done on personally owned pistols as "goverment work". I'd want to check the serial number of any possible AMU pistol against a list of stolen US Property, the BATFE has a list. An authenticated Colt factory prototype in that caliber might be worth serious coin. Depending upon the status of ownership, that coin could be either coming or going (fines).

Charlie Petty would be the gent to send pics to.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
William R. Moore said:
Charlie Petty would be the gent to send pics to.
Indeed. Charlie is THE MAN on these things, and might know more about them than anyone else still alive.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I am more than a little acquainted with the AMU. If it is a righteous gun from Colt it is a real goodie. The downside is that there were far more parts kits than complete guns and many were converted to .38 Special. Lots more information and a picture are needed. Pictures can be posted here as long as they are not too large.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I have tried to post the pics, which are less than 1000KB each, but the site seems to require much smaller. If there are any tips on how to get these up, I would appreciate it. They were taken at 3MP.

I'll pm Charlie Petty to see if I can e-mail them to him. Nothing else seems to be working.

Thanks,
Jwp

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
there is a free utility called PIXresizer that will easily take you to the 600x400 size that will load here. You should also be able to send them via the e-mail function on the board.

For everyone's benefit give us verbatim every marking on the frame, slide and barrel plus the serial number (you can X out the last two digits)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm stymied at present. I'm on a company computer that won't allow even free downloads, so no Pixresizer allowed. Can't see how to e-mail pics.

OIF2 on the 1911Forum reports he was in the AMU and states the gun is clearly manufactured by Colt and not a kit. I would like to get these pic up but obviously would need a little handholding or a reference as to how to do it.

Thanks,
Jwp

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
You can resize directly on Photobucket now. You want to go for about 600x480 pixels. (Keep things proportional, but don't exceed either number.)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Comes right up for me. Charlie will be pleased, I'm sure. Great pics!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Charlie is pleased.

It certainly appears to be a proper AMU. Supposedly there were several thousand made and most were purchased by the AMU at Ft. Benning and then modified for competition use. My suspicion is that this is one of those since to my knowledge Colt did not install Bo-mar sights.

Many of the guns were converted to .38 Special- a simple chamber reamer job- so it would be good to know that it will not accept a .38 Special wadcutter cartridge.

Probably the most common variation is the AMU kit which was fitted to a GI frame but I think this is the complete gun which makes is a very nice piece indeed.

Without being able to examine it in person I cannot state that for sure so the best proof would be a factory letter. The downside is they charge a bunch and are very slow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts