Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sell your Sure-Fire stock. Dorcy is marketing a 2-pack of semi-6P clones with batteries for 23 bucks. They're as bright, but didn't pass my durability test. Might be good for some other non-critical uses. "Tactical" is printed right on the package, so they might be worth a look. On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know who Jean Arthur is (was)? I found an autographed picture of her hidden behind another photo when I was rummaging through some of my departed Dad's stuff.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Shane! Shane!

She was an actress (a babe too apparently) did most of her work in the 30's and 40's. She played the mother in Shane and starred opposite Gary Cooper in Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and the Plainsman.

Ed

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dorcy Tactical Light

I searched the Dorcy website and believe the model Mr. Graham refers to is the SPYDER. Now... where can I get the two-pack?

Cheers,
Nemo

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nemo - I bought and returned mine at Costco. You might want to take a look at the SureFire line here on Amback if you want the durability to match the beam. The Dorcy lights were a little cheesy in that aspect. Among other things, there's always a 6P on my person.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Jean Arthur was indeed a babe, mebbe not so much to look at, but she had a great husky voice, was cute as a button, and could act! Good comedienne, too!

SureFire rules! Has from day #1! I still have my original 6P, and it's like a Timex, sucker takes a lickin' and keeps on illuminatin'! I had been fighting a losing battle with the Brinkman "Mini-Mags" for literally years when John Farnam pulled one out of his pocket during a course at Pine Barrens, my "Mini-Mags" went the way of others' full-length recoil spring guiderods... right in the berms at the range to oxidize.

I actually have two 6Ps, one 6Z and since last SHOT Show, an E2, courtesy of Black Hills Ammunition, who annually has the best "gunwriter graft," all in a nice little package!

That E2, which uses the identical power source as the 6P/6Z but is two-thirds the size, proved so popular 'round the house that I retrieved mine from m'sweetie's envious clutches, hid it and got three of'em as stocking stuffers for Christmas for Jeanne and my pair o'progeny. (Jeanne, a Nurse Practitioner by trade, is using hers during the "Say 'AHHHHHHH!'" part of her job, and swears nothing has ever illuminateed a set of tonsils or adnoids, or a sore throat, like her E2.

I'm going to have to have Mitch Rosen make me an SOS for one, probably for a 3900-series S&W.

I repeat without fear of successful contradiction, "Surefire Rules!"

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Interesting....my 6Z now rides the nightstand for those "bumps in the night," and an E1 rides my back left pocket all the time.

·
Registered
855 Posts
DeanSpeir said:
I repeat without fear of successful contradiction, "Surefire Rules!"
Amen! I became a SureFire convert during the night shooting phase of a Ken Hackathorn defensive pistol course at the Pine Barrens Range several years ago. I showed up with what I thought was a decent compact flashlight (hey, it had a xenon bulb), only to find it barely adequate to illuminate the target. Immediately thereafter I acquired a SureFire 6Z and never looked back. I now also have a 3P (and got one for the wife), a G2 in each vehicle, and the new crown jewel, an A2 Aviator (with red LEDs).

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Tactical Impact Device for a SureFire - who'd a thunk it. Looks like I need to upgrade my light loadout...

·
Registered
183 Posts
What about Streamlight?

Pardon my ignorance on personal illumination devices. I'll follow Mr. Graham's advice and the other members choices and will look at other options for carry flashlight. The inexpensive Dorcy two-pack does seem like a good choice for glove compartment lights, especially because of the shelf life of the Lithium batteries.

Ok... Since Sure-Fire is the hands down favorite of all my light-toting forum mates, yesterday I stopped at the local gun shop to check 'em out. I can see why! These lil' things are really well made and if it wasn't for their light weight they could double as hammers. Their price however is a bit high.

(BTW, American Backyard has the best price I've seen so far)

I have an M3 rail light on my G21 and that thing is very bright and I would like to think it's fairly durable. What's yous guys opinions on the Streamlight tactical lights? Would they be a good second option to the Sure-Fire?

Hey, since I started my two sons in practical shooting I've had to start looking for savings even in my toys!!! :cry:

As always, look forward to read what y'all have to say.

Cheers,
8)
Nemo

G

·
Nemo

I've got a Streamlight Stinger XT sitting right here within arms reach. It is a rechargeable unit that I picked up from a Bail Enforcement friend cause he wanted something smaller to carry on his raid gear. Got it for $30! :D Along with the wal l charger and car charger.

The biggest reason I got it (outside of the illumination) was my kids kept using my Surefires and I was going through batteries like a hooker goes through condoms. And I couldn't beat the price either.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanx Gunny!

I've decided to go with the Streamlight, maybe later when the $$ are there I'll get a SureFire.

I'll be shooting the local match next Sunday at Eustis. Is there any chance I'll meet you personally there?

DVC
Nemo

·
Registered
656 Posts
Dean cued me in on the Surefire 6P back in 95 and I have had one riding in an SOS ever since. I would not be without it.

G

·
Nemo,

Unfortunitly no as I have my nose to the grindstone Sat - Tues. However, depending on when the match gets over if you have time you may want stop into the store. It's about 30-45 minutes from Eustis.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you are looking for a non-offensive light to ride in the pocket I can recommend the Inova X5 LED flashlight. I bought one from Dillon and ended up getting four more as Xmas gifts for family. Like most LED lights, it is a diffuse beam, but the output is white light and very bright. It is not up to the Surefire level of eye-searing lumens, but it is no fun to look directly into. The company says it will go for about 20 hours on a set of lithium batteries. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you all!

Tbeck and Don Fernando, thank you for directing me to the Inova X5, it looks like a winner to have in every car and for that price I may even be able to get a Sure Fire for my daily carry.

Gunny, I just got back in the forum today so I didn't get to read your post. I would've enjoyed meeting with you and it's definitely something I may be able to do in the near future. E-mail or PM me with your store name an location and next time I'll make sure to come by to say hey!

Hasta la vista,
Nemo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts