Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have the parts together to swap out the Collapsible stock on my S&W MP15 for a standard A-2 fixed stock. Why? Because I have a new Compass Lake Upper and trigger to use to turn it into a rifle suitable for national match course shooting. I have a new A-2 stock, buffer assembly and spring, and a small bag of springs and detents that came as a kit to install the stock. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I need to watch out for, or any little secrets to make it go smoother. It looks easy enough, but then, so are Quadrajet rebuilds as long as you don't leave parts left over. :cry:
Thanks much!
Amanda

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
There's really nothing to it, as long as you can get the old stock off without trouble, which you should be able to do if you have the spanner wrench.

As you turn the tube off, watch out for the buffer retainer detent to come out. Control it with your finger as you turn the end of the tube past it, and then it's all downhill from there. The whole thing shouldn't take more than ten minutes and that includes the time to brew yourself a cup of coffee or fix a drink to celebrate the job.

Oh, one more thing: Make sure you have the right screw for the buttstock: Short one for the A1 stock, long one for the A2. One wrong combination won't work at all, and the other will let you put the stock on but won't let the rifle function properly. If the buttstock screws on, and you can rack the back all the way, you have the right combination.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snake,
Which screw are you talking about? I assume it is the top screw in the buttstock that grabs the buffer tube?
Thanks for your help........Amanda

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Yeah, the simple little screw at the end of the buttstock, right in line with the bore. It'll probably have a small hole through the middle of it, to let out any water that might get into the tube (if you like to swim with your rifle).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"It'll probably have a small hole through the middle of it, to let out any water that might get into the tube (if you like to swim with your rifle)."
:lol: :lol:
Stop it, I'll scratch the finish on my lower while I'm cryin.
Thanks for your help. Now if I could just convince myself I can swim while dragging this thing, I can try out your grand idee..............

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Those who swim with their M16s don't usually wake up that morning planning to do so, if you get my meaning.

It wasn't a joke. That's what that hole is for--it's a drain hole.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snake45,
Thanks for your hints! Thanks to you, I installed the new buttstock without busting anything. Of course, the detent spring got away from me, but luckily the detent ball stayed put, and the spring just flew up my nose. Took my new Compass Lake upper mated to the re-stocked S&W MP15 lower out this morning and had a blast. Now the AR-15 actually shoots groups under an inch, so I don't have any excuses. Guess I can finally see why my Garand scores aint all that.
I appreciate your help, but I still aint going swimming with that thing on my back, just to see if the weep hole in the stock screw works. :lol:
Amanda

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Glad to have been of help. I knew you could do it. :wink:

If there's an easier "home gunsmithing" job than this one, it would take me a while to think of what it might be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts