Gun Hub Forums banner

Swords

7K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  VIKINGFIST 
#1 ·
Any other sword freaks out there?

Although I'm heavily into rifles and motorcycling, my real hobby has always been collecting good quality replica swords, and learning how to use them. Primarily I'm into European broadswords from about 800 AD to no later than the mid-1500s. It's been a persistant obsession for the last 27 years. I started by banging edges of cheap replicas in mock combat with a college buddy. There was very little instructional info available to us then, and no good, affordable source of good swords. Nowdays there is a wealth of printed instructional material available, and swords that any Medieval King would go to war for are readily available.

About 10 years ago I started fooling around with various forms of the Japanese Katana, and am becoming very fond of it. Especially now that "Paul Chen" (of Hanwei) has made available some really excellent Japanese style swords made in the traditional way. I've been doing my cutting practice with one of his bamboo stick katanas for the last 4 years, and even when I push it beyond my skill level it's never let me down. Yes, the grip and scabbard look like crap now, but the steel is still intact, inspite of some really dumb things attempted on my part.

The latest addition to my collection was a set of custom Criswell swords- a Katana, Wakizashi, and Tanto. They don't look like much, but they are all business. They cut with a well, and are very tough.

Anyone else?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, there is just something about a fine blade eh?
I've been known to test a blade or two on Aspens, when I had the store in Colo. I hooked up with a few wholesalers and sold quite a few steel replicas.
I had a customer swap me his fathers war trophy from some island in WW2 that turned out to be a 500+ year old Samurai blade complete with the history engraved into the tang.
A friends Japanese wife helped with the interpreting along with the ceremonial tea and much bowing.
Interesting blade testing back then eh?

G
#3 ·
Hey Phycho.... I mean Munenn

I forgot that your into swords. We recently had a couple come through the shop. One was a WWII Jap NCO Sword & Scabbard. Had a guy come in and take it apart and translate the writing on it. A few collectors looked at it and finally one bought it.

The other one, which I don't know if we still have, was another newer(?) one. Very nice... wood scabbard (stained red). I'll see if we still have it and get more info on it if you'd like.

#4 ·
Hey, Schmit- first of all, it's not "phycho", you *******, it's P-S-Y-C-H-O, and that's Dr. Psycho to you.

I'm curious about what you've got (the sword, you pervert), but the chances are real good that any antique Japanese sword I'd actually be interested in would be worth in the 6 figure catagory or better, and therefore way too rich for me.

Do you happen to remember what it was that was printed on the tang? When it was made, and by whom?

G
#6 ·
Do you happen to remember what it was that was printed on the tang?
Yeah, perfectly...... a bunch of connect squiggly lines! :D

It was marked in the low 5 figures but we sold it to a regular customer for under that (4 figures).

And what is wrong with being a *******? Hell, Fernando is now even trying to be one.... he wants sooooooo much to be like you and I.... know what I mean? :p

#11 ·
There, there, Fernando- it's okay. We were only laughing with you, not at you, you see.

By the way, it was really nice of you to set up this Forum so that Schmidt and I could rag on your butt.
Many thanks.

#13 ·
Dear *******, Miscreant, Gunny help you misspell yourScmiDt,

It's not my fault that your careless ancestors allowed the civil servants at Ellis Island to stick them with a misspelling of their family name, is it?

The honorrific "Gunny" is a given, as you actually earned that (the hard way), but don't expect me to help you perperate the mispelling of your actual family name. :D

#14 ·
I am curious. Okay, truthfully, I'm thinking of writing a book in which swordplay is involved.

So, my questions.

Which do you prefer? The broadsword/longsword? Rapier? Foil? Epee? Katana? How about tai-chi swords?

Which do you think would have an advantage against which?

Obviously, a foil would be useless against a heavier sword, as far as blocking purposes goes, and it would not work well against armor.

An OLD katana might actually cut through the armor?

I would think that the speed of the sword would be a contributing factor.

Any thoughts y'all have would be appreciated.

#15 ·
One of the things I have learned from my military, law enforcement and gunzine experience is that the world is full of wannabes... how could I have possibly left out *******?

Sadly though neither our favorite Marine nor our famous leader can ever qualify... they's from NOOO YAWK! :?

#16 ·
So Charlie, you're saying either you're born into or you're not eh? Even if you transplant yourself in Dixie and get yourself a "Redman" hat it doesn't work?

What's that old saying about a Yankee, a damned Yankee...?

Ed from the Borderline state of Delaware (I'm from the Northern end)

#17 ·
Schmidt might be able to get grubby enough to fool some by his appearance... he does have tats after all... but that Ghastly Guiness would be a major giveaway.

Fernando, on the other hand is clean cut and sorta yuppieish but any REAL ******* would take one look at that Ducati and know right off that this was only a fake *******.

#18 ·
Baboyako – While I have more experience with a Chinese Plum Blossom Sword, I would have to say that my all time favorite is the Japanese Katana. There is just something about the way they were made and the techniques used with that type of sword. Would an old Katana cut through armor? It’s quite possible if you are talking about the armor from the same time period. I’m not sure if it is so much the speed of the blade as the strength, shape and sharpness of it. Then again, once you are good enough with a sword it doesn’t matter how sharp it is. After all, it was Musashi who started using a wooden sword and he still beat everyone. Thanks, now I have to re-read The Book of Five Rings.

#19 ·
Schmit can camouflage himself as a ******* with the accent and mannerisms, but I agree with Charlie that the Guinness is the giveaway. Now if he was drinking Miller or Budweiser, then he would blend in almost perfectly. :lol:

Sorta yuppiesh? :eek:mg:

I could never be considered by the locals as a southerner or even the greater extreme, a *******. Between the NY accent (which I still say I don’t have), phrases (the term “no sh!t” is often well received), and faster pace approach to things, it’s always a dead giveaway that I’m not from around these parts. Even when I go to a local diner or restaurant, I slip up and ask for ice tea instead of “sweet tea”. A favorite comment thrown my way is.. “You’re not from around here, are ya?” or “Ya’ll from New Yawk?”. I’ve even heard the term “carpet bagger” from one of the crusty old teachers in school. I think she’s still upset over the war of northern aggression and her great-granpappy’s plantation no longer being in the family. It wasn’t me, lady! My ancestors were causing trouble in other countries, not here. Now if this were Angola, Cape Verde, or Mozambique she could complain.

But Charlie is right, no matter how well I try to blend in, the Ducati is the real giveaway that I’m not a local.

#20 ·
If'n I recall co-rectly...

A Yankee is someone from up Noth

A Damned Yankee is someone from up Noth that comes South for a visit.

A Got-Damened Yankee is someone from up Noth that comes South for a visit, likes it and decides to stay!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed

#23 ·
Baboyako,sword types changed over the centuries as countermeasures changed.As armor technology developed in Europe sword points became more cruciform in shape and blades more sharply tapered for stiffness and penetration.When gunpowder weapons became viable and armor gradually disappeared swords became lighter and faster.This eventually resulted in the rapier designs suitable only for thrusting.The japanese swords didnt change much because they were pretty well worked out for their intended use.Most jap armor was wood therefore it could be cut although not easily.Also they did not use the compound curves in their armor that the Europeans did.I suspect that the ultimate development of the cut and thrust sword would be some of the 18th and 19th century infantry NOT cavalry sabers. There are some excellent books on this subject ,among them Sir Richard Burtons "book of the sword".H.T.H

#26 ·
Viking swords

I am a big fan of the Scandanavian culture 800-1300. Has anyone seen any well made Viking type swords. I have handled the Paul Chen, I believe its called the "Godfred" Pretty cool, but not that sharp. Supposedly folded or Damascus steel. I think they are cool 'cause not only were they one of the first cultures to fold thier steel (not the same quality as the Japanese obviously) but you gotta admit they were bada$$es.
Anyone know of any other good Viking style swords?
DW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.