Gunhub.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this AR here that I built from parts, took me over a year of saving and around a $1K investment. I thought I would like it or at least like shooting it as a 2nd weapon when I go to the range.

Well for the post 2 months It's been hiding in my safe and doesn't like to play with with the other girls so Im thinking It's time to let her go and sell or trade and get a 2nd M1A. I thought it over for a long time and I cant soo a reason to keep a AR around (I already have a 10/22) A 2nd M1A sounds to me like a better Idea since I would only have to stock 1 caliber of MBR ammo as well as keep my spares count down.

Secondly Everybody has an AR, M1A's seem to be going up in price, while AR's down, I think the tradeoffs in the investment side of things lean twoards the M14 platform.

Any reason why I should keep my AR and not get a 2nd (Prob. LRB) M14?

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
You are asking in the wrong forum. You are going to get biased replies.

Post your questions down in the AR forum and you will get some replies bised the other way to balance things out. Then maybe you'll have enough opinions to make the decision that's right for you.

Personally, I like having the capabilities of both platforms. I'd rather have one of each than two of one and none of the other. But that's just me.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think the best argument for having an AR is it's versatility. One lower can support many uppers, essentially creating a different rifle by pushing a couple of pins. Go from a carbine, to a varmint rifle, to a DCM rifle in seconds.
An AR will never replace an M14, but they are still nice to have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it isn't really necessary to sell it I'd suggest keeping it unless you can get a ton of money for it. Your interests may change next year and it is a very versatile rifle system. You can always replace it but if it's your first 'build' you can't replace that part of it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As much as I love the M14 rifle, I must say I enjoy shooting the AR-15 too, and I carried the M-16 in my military years. Great shooter, but a pain to clean, especially GI arms room clean. I would suggest keeping both and saving for a future LRB build. The M14 is a real battle rifle firing a full power cartridge, and GI parts are getting very expensive. The AR's are hard to beat on the firing line. If you don't plan on shooting High Power Service Rifle matches, then go with the M-14. If you have a wife or 12 year old son, they will get a big charge out of shooting the AR-15. Ask me how I know.

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
Old Sarge said:
If you have a wife or 12 year old son, they will get a big charge out of shooting the AR-15. Ask me how I know.
That's an excellent point. In "times of trouble" you might find it desirable to arm a wife, a teen, or perhaps a neighbor who's been a veteran sometime in the last 30 years. Such people adapt quickly to a handy AR platform--probably not so much with your second M14.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IIRC....are you the one who posted that you built an AR on the M-4 platform? IMO that's where you went wrong, should've just got a match rifle. Agree with the others...you need to have both. My wife and 10 year old son love to shoot my heavy barrelled match AR, along with the M-1 carbine...my wife has shot my M1A, did ok but hasn't shot it again...but both her and the kid go nuts for the other 2!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
It would seem that the AR15 is considered a girly gun on this forum :D

I would recommend keeping that AR. I have noticed that my interests in certain rifles waxes and wains. Sometimes I am really into my FNs. Other times I a grab my Garand more than the others. At the moment, it is my M1A that has my interest. Next month it my be my Mausers or my AR15. That is one of the advantages that guns have over women. You can keep a house full of guns and they all get along and don't mind when you fondle the others.

·
Registered
785 Posts
maddogkiller said:
It would seem that the AR15 is considered a girly gun on this forum :D
Not me.

Go to any NRA Highpower Match. Ask how many competitors think the AR is a "girly gun" (and this is from a guy who shot the M14 in Service Rifle for a few years). The AR is king of the mountain when it comes to punching paper, and lets face it; how many of us are going into combat? (with apologies and respect to our forum members who are actively serving in our armed forces).

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Keep 'em all!! I have my 3 M1A's as well as my 4 AR's not to mention my 22 Garands..... NEVER seel a rifle!!!you may never be able to buy it again!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really love both my AR and my M1A. They each serve a different defensive purpose, and both are incredibly fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Davoosie said:
...I built from parts, took me over a year of saving and around a $1K investment...
That alone should be reason enough. If we're talking a fairly run-of-the-mill configuration (ie, not a match gun, no expensive free-float rails/tubes/accessories), you will probably not get your investment back out of it. You'd have to run into a real greenhorn at a gun show to get someone to drop that kind of cheddar on a used AR. My advice would be to keep it, shoot it, and save up for another M1A/M14 if that is what you want. Don't sell guns unless you're starving and about to get evicted from your home.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd say keep it, you can never have enough battle rifles....Another thing to consider without getting to far off topic is, What if another gun grabbing democrat gets into office ??? Lets face it another AWB could happen if say hillary or someone else gets in the white house..... :? Keep your gun's...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I concur with almost all the other posters on this thread: keep it. Save up for the second M1A, if you want it. You probably won't get your money out of the AR you built. But it may well have even greater value to you down the road.

Snake45 made a good point about biases. My bias is: Don't sell it if you don't have to. Buy, don't sell. I am no big fan of ARs, but they are great rifles in their own right and definitely have their place in the safe or on the firing line. I wish all my .30s were as accurate as my AR.

And, as others have said, the kids and the ladies love 'em!

·
Super Moderator
13,161 Posts
Arby said:
Snake45 made a good point about biases.
I turned out to be wrong. I thought surely the overwhelming sentiment here in the M14 forum would be "Sell that POS and buy more 14s!" I'm pleasantly surprised to see it didn't go that way at all.

So did we talk you out of selliing it? :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't sell it...the only thing it does better than a M1A is heavy you down. Some say the .223 ain't enough to put a man down...tell them to stand 100-300 meters away and let you put one through his/her chest...no takers I assure you...morons :shock:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting!!!

AR 15-----------Awesome
M1A------------Awesome
M1-------------Awesome
1903/A3-----Awesome

Funny how things evolve is'nt it

I luv em all!!!!
Chinook3

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sell the thing. Dont buy another weapon. Wait till you are grown enough to make adult decisions on your own. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Funny.... The ONLY reason I haven't sold my AR was the fact that so many new shooters I teach LOVE them. I'll take a Mini 14 or FAL/M1A over an AR just about anytime, but I still feel like I should keep it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts