Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, our office got a memo from the County Commission. In it, they explained that our Health Insurance was going up by almost 50% for family coverage (from $900 to over $1350 per family). So, our monthly payments were going up, too. Wasn't shocked about that, and our portion of the bill is still pretty reasonable in this day and age. BUT...

They also stated in the memo that we (all county employees) would be paying taxes on the entire amount paid every month to Blue Cross/Blue Shield! Now, that's over $16,000 a year. What we can't find out, is just HOW this tax is going to be assessed. NOBODY KNOWS! Not our County Commission, not BC/BS, not even the freakin' IRS (the guy I talked to on the phone said they just don't know yet!?). I've heard it'll be treated as income and taxed accordingly ( in which case we're screwed) or that it will be subjected to a 40% excise tax (in which case were screwed). But no one knows!

When this was in the news, prior to the passage of Obamacare, it was touted as affecting only those "Cadillac" insurance plans, which I didn't think ours was...it doesn't pay for glasses, mental health, substance abuse, has a pretty high co-pay for prescriptions, etc. Certainly not on par with UAW plans, or the Senate and House plans! But our money guys say we're going to be hit with this tax.

And if I understand what little I know about the "Health Care Plan" correctly, we don't have the option of dropping our insurance. We must purchase health insurance from some source. So they require we purchase something, and then tax the dogs%!t out of it!

Anybody here have any idea just how this tax is going to be levied? I need to know if I should stock up on rice and dried pinto beans now, or if I got a few months!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
IrishCop said:
... When this was in the news, prior to the passage of Obamacare, it was touted as affecting only those "Cadillac" insurance plans, which I didn't think ours was...it doesn't pay for glasses, mental health, substance abuse, has a pretty high co-pay for prescriptions, etc. Certainly not on par with UAW plans, or the Senate and House plans! But our money guys say we're going to be hit with this tax. ....
Politicians constantly play "shell games" with their political promises. I never believed one word Obama(ssiah) said. Politicians today have become far too deceitful, too narcissistic for me to pay attention to without developing a severe case of heartburn -- and "heartburn" may be taken any of a number of ways; all will be right.

Plutarch once said, "the real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." And in this new "healthcare" bill we see one proof of Plutarch's statement; "a 40% excise tax." But it isn't only that. It's the income tax, the property tax, the "death tax," and all the other taxes and fees that are necessary for government to collect in order for it to spread the "bounties and donations."
I don't know how this tax will effect any particular group or organization, or individual within said organizations ... so I'm afraid that I can offer little enlightenment there, except to say, I very sincerely doubt the ultimate effect will be beneficial to your financial condition (or mine, or anyone elses' for that matter).
I will leave with a statement from a speech William Pitt offered to the House of Commons in 1783:

[center:2g4rs6tv] "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, It is the creed of slaves." [/center:2g4rs6tv]

I'd start stocking up now on the beans 'n' stuff now. I've been doing this awhile myself ....

[center:2g4rs6tv]:([/center:2g4rs6tv]

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's an interesting concept in any light:
You are required to have a health-care insurance plan.
However, should you provide yourself with a really comprehensive plan, you will be taxed at a high rate for having it.
However, should you provide yourself with an inadequate plan, the government will subsidize it.

Morton's fork?
Oxymoronic tax?
The good-health penalty?
The health-insurance loophole?
(I think that we need a new term.)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve M1911A1 said:
It's an interesting concept in any light:
You are required to have a health-care insurance plan.
However, should you provide yourself with a really comprehensive plan, you will be taxed at a high rate for having it.
However, should you provide yourself with an inadequate plan, the government will subsidize it.

Morton's fork?
Oxymoronic tax?
The good-health penalty?
The health-insurance loophole?
(I think that we need a new term.)
Steve, I have a few terms that certainly describe my feelings about all of this. But this is a family friendly board. :twisted:

I did read an article today that centered on the rise in price of individually purchased health care policies. The article described those policies as ones which are not subsidized by employers.

Our County Commission says that we (the county) are self-insured, and that we pay Blue Cross/Blue Shield to simply administer the program. Whether that has any bearing on the taxation we've been told about, I just don't know. :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts