Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you watch from start to finish "The Lord of the Rings".

Now, mind you, this is with the Extended "Director's Cut" of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers along with the newly released The Return of the King. When the "Director's Cut" of The Return is released add another half hour or so to the total (bringing it to 11 hours)

How do I know this, you ask.... simple.... I added the running times together. You see, in actual practice it takes about twice as long as that. You have to figure in eating (and food preparation), pouring beverages, bathroom breaks, then figure in a sleep period, again with the eating, beverages and bathroom breaks along with a visitor or two (of course at different times) to make things interesting.

Yeap,… Ten and a half hours my arse… but well worth it!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm just waiting for a complete box set of the director's cut....I have a friend who showed me his edition of The Two Towers, and it was a boxed 4-disc set. Two of the disks were nothing but commentary and special features.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap, those are them. I've got both the initial release and the Director's Cut editions. (the initial releases (i.e. Cinima Verisions) are the ones that can be barrowed by friends) The special features/commentaries are great.

On the Return special features they have a feature about the making of the entire film. From initial thought to compleation of the film Peter Jackson has 8 years into the project. They have shot over 5,000,000 feet of film.

What is neat is the the film came this . close to being only one film. Mr. Jackson had originally written a 2 film script and entered into a deal with a Hollywood Stuido. Just prior to the start of principal filming the studio told him to condence it into 1 film or be replaced.

Mr Jackson reminded him that he owned the scripts and told them to give him 3 weeks to find a new studio to produce it... he said if he couldn't he would walk away with out scripts or compensation.

Everyone he approached turned him down. With time quickly running out he approached New Line. He showed the head of New Line, Bob Sheye, a 35 (or so) minute video presentation showing the CGI battle parts, costumes, etc. After watching the presentation Mr Shaye though for a moment and said "Arn't there three books? You should make 3!". Of course this caused a "Page 1" re-write and the rest is history.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I got my wife the Director's cuts of the first two films (I didn't know the Directors Cut of "The Return..." was out yet). She spent a good week after the initial viewings, watching all the extras included. She absolutely loved it. I guess I'm getting her the The deluxe edition of "The Return of The King" as soon as I can find it.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Director's Cut of The Return of the King isn't out yet. Give it a few months... they have to streeeeeeeeeeettttttch out their profits. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts