2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Barry in IN 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The trouble with snake ...

Mad Ogre said:
Just hunt down a nice fat snake.
Thems good eating.
The trouble with snake is:

a. The more you cook it, the tougher it gets. (Is this true of all reptiles, or just snakes?)

b. It is frequently full of parasites. (Been there. Overcooked that. Like eating the tire off a racing bike.)

#6 ·
Not all reptiles are tough. Aligator is good eating and can be prepared a lot of ways. Easiest is just to cube it and fry it like chicken nuggets. Cat can be okay. Small one you tell the guys it's squirrel and big ones are rabbit - BTDT. FWIW, French law requires you to keep one paw on a cony so people will know it's rabbit, not cat.

#10 ·
Ralphie, I asked a friend of mine about gourmet gators and this is his reply:

Joel in an e-mail said:
Sam,

Alligator cooking to me, if it's not fried, is simply a variation on a theme of sauteing...

The taste can be changed significantly by just changing from butter (never margarine) to olive oil.

Cilantro and capers go really well with alligator, but not at the same time. The tastes of each one conflict with the other.

Then, Grand Marnier with Cilantro is a marvelous combination.

Capers and white wine are another great combination, as is cognac and cilantro.

A simple garlic (crushed) and butter baste is always good.

One key to alligator, like most wild game, is never over cook it. A bit
toward the medium rare side is always best for alligator.

Salt and pepper to taste, of course.
Hope this helps when you get your gator.

#11 ·
Leave one paw on..........

Boy, that takes me back.
I worked in Intracoastal City, Louisiana (the end of trhe road) for a while, and there was an old lady who bought rabbits from some of the guys. That was the rule- leave a rabbit's foot on.

More memories are coming back now.
Shudder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.