Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Very clever reminder!
Yup, THAT time of the year .... get to fight with all the clocks.... the digital ones .... wondering which clock automatically compensates for daylight savings and which doesn't.
:ek: The only good thing is the extra hour to sleep. :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
It's an interesting phenomenon. I'm going to have to get used to a very confusing combination of this in the near future. Earlier this year, as most of you probably know, between April 28th and June 10th, I spent 37 days in Puerto Rico. First, it was to oversee what turned out to be my father's last days, then to make funeral arrangements, and begin handling the very complicated legal, financial and real estate based Russian Egg of affairs that is his estate.

One of the most confounding things about being down there during early June is that up here, we Noo Yawkers are already enjoying sunsets that approach 8:30 and eventually top out at 8:31 p.m. officially in Central Park, Manhattan. On that day, with the sunrise being at 5:25 a.m., there is 15 hours and six minutes of daylight in Ol' Noo Yawk. And we have residual light up here. At nine, maybe even five, ten minutes later, you can actually recognize a friend of yours down the block, and call out/wave to him/her. Down in Puerto Rico, first off, they don't change the clocks, ever. So, now I have to remember when I call down there, it's not the same time any more. But it will be again in April. But there's no residual light down there, not much. When it says the sun sets at 7 o'clock, it's pretty dang dark at 7:15 already.

And the sun never sets any later than a few minutes after seven down there, 7:12 I I think was the latest sunset I saw down there in Ponce, then had to come back to NYC before it got to be the longest day. But they never get more than 13 hours and a few minutes of daylight down there, so in one respect, we're blessed with those 15 plus hour days. But then we get what we're going to have a lot of until about late January. Very, very little daylight, culminating in about nine hours and twenty minutes or so on December 21st in NYC. The shortest day down in Puerto Rico is likely to be about 11 hours. They're showing 11 hours, 22 minutes for today, down in Cabo Rojo, where Ye Olde Fambly Farme is. I guess that would be nice, having 11 hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year. I mean, for the next few months up here, people come out of work, and it's like midnight already. You go down in to the subway, you get back to your neighborhood to do some food shopping, it's only six o'clock in the evening, you get home and finish dinner, and at eight o'clock, even though it's early, you're almost convinced it's three a.m., and you're late for bed!!!

And when I finally get this Russian Egg of a mess that my father left me, which his mother left him, done with, "Good Golly, Miss Molly," I'm going to be spending three or more months a year in Puerto Rico for the rest of my life. That's going to be mighty confoozin'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts