Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks for that Walt. I wish we could find another President like Reagan.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Thanks for that Walt. I wish we could find another President like Reagan.
Reagan was a good man for the times, but he'd never make it through the primaries today, he's too centrist. You realize he raised taxes 6x during his presidency...that's where Bill Clinton learned to just never call it a tax increase, just call it something else. And Reagan was a ardent supporter of Keyneysian economics (which is the right thing to do, Supply side and the Laffer curve have been fully debunked), but conservatives still want to hear the mantra of Supply Side economics regardless of its complete failure. He was smart enough to leave party politics for the campaign trail and when it came to economics, he just listened to be best economists he could find; and it worked.

But Reagan was a good man, and regardless if his policies were not hard core to the right, they were the RIGHT policies at the right time. The ardent supporters of the right and the left have moved too far to the right and the left and just don't want to hear anything but their own rhetoric, and they actually believe their own rhetoric.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
THE LONGEST DAY

"Many men came here as soldiers;
many men will pass this way.
Many men will count the hours
as they live The Longest Day.
Many men are tired and weary;
Many men are here to stay.
Many men won't see the sunset,
when it ends The Longest Day.
The Longest Day, The Longest Day,
This will be The Longest Day.
Filled with hope and filled with fears,
Filled with blood and sweat and tears.
Many men the mighty thousands
Many men to victory.
Marching on right into battle
in The Longest Day in history."

From the early 1960s film The Longest Day, of course, to this day it remains (IMHO) one of the best fictional films recounting the events, indeed one of the best war films ever made.
When I recall what the real men who participated in the actual event went through, I remain astounded to this day in my life that we have had people that will make such sacrifices for theor country and for freedom.
The Boys of Pointe-du-Hoc... and all allies who fought through the hedgerows 70 years ago .... Rest in Peace.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Reagan was a good man for the times, but he'd never make it through the primaries today, he's too centrist. You realize he raised taxes 6x during his presidency...that's where Bill Clinton learned to just never call it a tax increase, just call it something else. And Reagan was a ardent supporter of Keyneysian economics (which is the right thing to do, Supply side and the Laffer curve have been fully debunked), but conservatives still want to hear the mantra of Supply Side economics regardless of its complete failure. He was smart enough to leave party politics for the campaign trail and when it came to economics, he just listened to be best economists he could find; and it worked.

But Reagan was a good man, and regardless if his policies were not hard core to the right, they were the RIGHT policies at the right time. The ardent supporters of the right and the left have moved too far to the right and the left and just don't want to hear anything but their own rhetoric, and they actually believe their own rhetoric.
Is this really the time and place for this?:ek:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
TommyGunn:

The Longest Day was based on the book of the same title by Cornelius Ryan. The book is excellent reading since Mr. Ryan took historical facts and wove them together with personal interviews with the survivors of all sides in the battle in a most enlightening way. He also wrote A Bridge Too Far and The Last Battle using the same style.

I'm not sure if these books are still in print but if you get a chance I would strongly recommend them to anyone for reading. He managed to convey both the horrors of battle and the bravery of those involved in it.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
TooTall,

EXACTLY CORRECT.

As an "old 29er" of the 29th IN DIV (L), it is an "article of faith" that watching THE LONGEST DAY is REQUIRED every SIXTH of JUNE, to remind every "Light-fighter" of what our FIRST "29ers" did on Omaha Beach that BLOOD-SOAKED DAY.

To any Brothers of the 29th (who maybe reading this comment), I'll only say: TWENTY-NINE, LET'S GO!

yours, sw
29th MP Company (Retired)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Cornelius Ryan was an excellent historian. I've read Bridge too Far a few times, and the Longest Day. I've also read Stephen Ambros' "D Day", which was excellent also. I love how the Brit general waded ashore with his personal "piper" (bagpipe player). The Brits do have class.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Cornelius Ryan was an excellent historian. I've read Bridge too Far a few times, and the Longest Day. I've also read Stephen Ambros' "D Day", which was excellent also. I love how the Brit general waded ashore with his personal "piper" (bagpipe player). The Brits do have class.
Just saw the movie. Had I been there I'd get myself in deep kimshee with the Brits when I refered to the bagpipes as "bullet magnets." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The Longest Day theme by some folks who might just have to do the near impossible or die trying:

Geoff
Who wishes his hearing was better.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Thank you Geoff. That was beautiful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts