Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie, I didn't quite know where to post this, so since this was the last place I talked about it, I put it here. Feel free to move it anywhere you see fit. :D

Okay, went to the hospital Tuesday 0600. I did get to go home about 1000. My surgeon opened my right foot up and found that the bone graft he put in back in September 2010 hadn't taken...the bone was all "crumbly and brittle" (his words). He removed that bone, the main bone in the ankle...don't ask me, Google it or one of you guys with a medical background speak up...and cleaned out a small amount of infection in the foot. I am hoping, as is my surgeon, that the space left will fill in with scar tissue or something that will let me use that foot somehow. Also, there is STILL the possibility that I will lose the foot.

Sheesh! Ever go out with a girl that would kinda let you THINK you had a chance one minute, then smash all your hopes and dreams the next? Kinda feel like that! :roll:

Anyway, still on "take it easy" orders. Will get to try the foot out when or if it heals right.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Praying for you to turn the corner!

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
IrishCop said:
Sheesh! Ever go out with a girl that would kinda let you THINK you had a chance one minute, then smash all your hopes and dreams the next?
Story of my life before I met The Lovely Mrs. Snake. And, come to think of it, at least once or twice a month the last couple years, too. GRRRRR! :evil:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
You won't see me move it. Right place IMO.

Had you told me they had to put in a graft I would have been even more concerned but cleaning it out was certainly the thing to do since it failed. Maybe now the infection can clear up and you can get busy healing.

I think everybody here is pulling for you... I sure am.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I think everybody here is pulling for you... I sure am.
+1 on that. And my offer of the shoulder holster still stands if you want to try it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot, guys. Kind words from people I've come to respect mean a whole lot to me. The prayers are much appreciated.

I found out something really interesting last week. My Worker's Comp Rep is an R.N. We (her, my wife and I) were sitting in my surgeons office waiting for him. I was looking at several of the medical posters on the wall; you know, skeletal system, circulatory system, etc. I saw where the descending aorta split in two in the lower groin area and became the femoral arteries. I mean, I always knew that I guess. But I remarked on my smashed hip and my case worker said, "yeah, pieces of your hip missed that artery by about a quarter of an inch. I kinda got a chill running up and down my spine. I felt like the time I was searching the upstairs of an apartment for a murder suspect...I'm by myself, the High Sheriff is downstairs with the suspects girlfriend. I enter the last bedroom and break left, sweep right and there he is. He had a good half second to put one in my head. His gun was in the room, but not in his hand. I realized then how close I came to departing this earth. I got the same feeling. It took them a good 30-45 minutes to cut me out of my car. I would have bled out in a minute or two if that artery had been cut.

Anyway, Spwenger and Shep: Thanks for the thoughts and prayers...

Snake: Yeah, but what's a few times a month versus a life time of hot meals and clean socks, right? :wink: And thanks again for the offer. But now when I leave the house, I'm actually wearing big boy pants. I adjusted the belt slide on my Serpa Blackhawk to cross draw and carry my issue Glock most of the time. It's been cool and wet enough so a covering garment isn't bothering me too much now.

And Charlie: Thanks for the always kind words, and for doing your part in keeping this forum up and running. It's been a godsend to me.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Belated good wishes from me too, Irishcop.
Have been paying a little more attention to the General Discussions area .... :oops: ....recently.
You seem to be in better cheer than I think I'd be in that condition.,
Best of luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just saw this Irish cop. I also wish you well. Nothing worse than being laid up.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Damn... we keep learning about broke stuff. Hips are bad too so I've concluded you were totally messed up/// :wink:

My respect and admiration for your attitude and fortitude :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everybody. Thanks much. Here's to all of you, for your kindness and support...and great gun talk! :cheerschug:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
No matter what level of doctoring you are getting, somethings are always worth a second look and JAX mayo is not that far away. It's worth the trip.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charlie Petty said:
Damn... we keep learning about broke stuff. Hips are bad too so I've concluded you were totally messed up/// :wink:

My respect and admiration for your attitude and fortitude :thumbsup:
Thanks for that, Charlie. Oh, I have been depressed at times. But laughing is a lot more fun than crying! Coulda been a LOT worse. I'm alive. I didn't kill or maim an innocent. And hey, if Ironside could handle a wheelchair... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attached are links to some x-rays. Hope this works.

Ooops! Sorry, they're upside down!

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91 ... Leg001.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91 ... Hip001.jpg

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
Man, that's a lot of pins. Save copies of those x-rays for your next TSA groping.
They would likely give him to the bomb squad, who'd probably try to detonate him!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Man, thems a lot of pins. Just got on in quite a while and read this. Hope everything gets to be OK.

BobMac

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I'll bet those joints are a pretty good indicator of the weather eh?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SpecialEd said:
I'll bet those joints are a pretty good indicator of the weather eh?
Oh Man! I never believed in "felt it in my bones" before. But I CAN tell when it's gonna rain. And it HURTS!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shep854 said:
Patrick Sweeney said:
Man, that's a lot of pins. Save copies of those x-rays for your next TSA groping.
They would likely give him to the bomb squad, who'd probably try to detonate him!
Your probably right, Patrick. Only One of the many reasons NOT to fly. Remind me to tell you about the 747 I was on that blew a hole in one engine bigger'n ME!

Shep, I think that's what they call "Luck o' the Irish!"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts