Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i alone in thinking we will never see another new design that will be all metal (steel, aluminum, etc.) and actually have style?

Like everything else, people are interested primarily in cheap, and just dont seem to care that their pistol looks like someone plagerized a 2x4!!!

Pistols made before WWII often had a sense of style. Many were rather aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I even like the aesthetics of Beretta's open slide design; think it looks great (even though it's popular to bash it. I thought the old Beretta Puma's were very stylish.

I think the Sig locking system kinda killed off style. It just makes way too much sense from a manufacturing standpoint to not use it in new designs. Buy by design, it's ugly.

Dont get me wrong, for use with large organizations LE or military, the trigger cocking guns just make a lot of sense. But on the smaller scale, it would be nice to see something new that had some style.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Okay. Ms Bellucci is living proof of Intelligent Design. God HAD to create that. :D

Kevin, I fully agree. I always just figured it was because I was an old fart, but polymer pistols and such always struck me as just having no...soul. Un fortunately, that is just the way things are now.

The damned things work, can generally take more abuse (or neglect, rather) and are undoubtedly cheaper to make...they just don't get me salivating.

Take the SIG line you talked about. My issue gun when I first joined the Sheriff's office was a P-226. Reliable, accurate and pretty tough. It was one of those designs (metal or not) that just didn't crank my tractor.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
IrishCop,

As you know, my daily carry handgun is a P225 BUT I most heartily AGREE. - Sigs have no "soul".
(BUT at least they aren't a "plastic [email protected]@rd.)

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Maybe we should create four classes of guns:

1. Practical: plastic pistols , synthetic stocks and MSR (modern sporting rifle) AKA: AR

2. Fun: your favorite here

3. Classic: SAA, Luger, 1911, Win M92, M70, 03 Springfield etc.

4: OMG: gotta have it...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've found wat too many number fours Charlie.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The simpler it is, the more style I see in it.

Then again, I'm by nature a simple guy.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Charlie Petty,

AGREED.

My #4: a MAXIM gun in 7mm, 7.65mm or 7.92mm, with all the circa 1910 goodies and/or a Colt's "Tater Digger".

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Charlie Petty,

ONCE I get retired "way down south", I can afford a Maxim gun as they sell for about 2000.ooUSD "down there" & they are lawful to own IF you are licensed for ANY firearm.
(I used to have an Army buddy in MI that owned one, that had been in his family since 1919. = He got it as part of his inheritance & it was FUN to shoot, though HUNGRY for 8mm ammo.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Kev makes a very valid point.This is why I stick to M1s and old S&Ws and 1911s, modern guns have no soul. I'll take Blued steel and Walnut every time. My shooting bud Chuck, says it's just like Rock-n-Roll, nothing good has been out since the mid-80s!

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Kev makes a very valid point.This is why I stick to M1s and old S&Ws and 1911s, modern guns have no soul. I'll take Blued steel and Walnut every time. My shooting bud Chuck, says it's just like Rock-n-Roll, nothing good has been out since the mid-80s!
Quoted for Truth! (Well, there has been SOME good music since the mid-'80s.)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here’s the thing. I’ll be the first to admit that the Glock’s of the world and all those like them are “better” guns. For a military sidearm, the Glock approach just makes way too much sense to ignore. First they’re cheap, and for a military that’s important. They’re very reliable which means people can spend more time training to shoot them, rather spend all their time learning what to do when they go wrong. And the design just lends itself to being fixed easily, whether in the field or at the depot level. Use of a great number of stamped parts mean parts can be held to tight tolerances for next to nothing. So for a large LE department, or a military; all that just makes way too much sense.

But for us civilians; we really don’t need any of that stuff. We’re a force of one, so we can maintain our arms well. And while it’s nice to have your gun shoot 4,000 rounds in a shooting school without any problems, let’s be honest…that’s not a requirement. When was the last time you heard of anyone shooting 400 rounds from a handgun in combat? Realistically, all you need is for your gun to function perfectly every round of ammo you have on you. After that, it’s all just academic.

So since you actual NEEDS are quite simple, we have a whole lot more latitude in our choice of personal sidearms. So we can afford to choose something that has a little style. Now there are many who just won’t carry an expensive handgun out of fear of losing it after a shooting. Personally, I don’t see the sense in that. Your chances of needing a sidearm to save your life or the life of someone else is about the same as being struck by lightning; I’m willing to risk it, but some just won’t

For those who realize they’ll likely go through life having never pulled their “Roscoe”, we can choose something that just turns our crank. Now my “working” gun is a S&W M1911PD (for now) and has been for the past 10+ years. It’s a “nice” gun, but it’s not a “classy” gun. It’s a fairly well featured LW Commander, but it’s nothing special to look at. My other pistol is a Colt’s (current make) .38 Super that is kinda classy. I took the std gun and fire (Nitre) blued the pins, grip screws, hammer, thumb safety, slide stop, and barrel bushing with a nicely contrasting “fire blue” or lighter blue color for a nice contrast. And then fitted a set of Elephant Ivory grips with Colt’s medallions. I replaced the synthetic trigger and MSH with steel, and since I was going for a classic look, I went with a short steel trigger, and an arched MSH with lanyard loop.
Now THIS gun has style…and I carry it from time to time. It’s not my “working” gun, but I like to carry it just because even prettied up, she’s still a “working gun” and something I can use for defense.

Life’s just too short for ugly guns.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quoted for Truth! (Well, there has been SOME good music since the mid-'80s.)
Yeah, the new guns are a technological achievement and they're "good" as a tool. But there's nothing that warms your heart.

As for music, each decade produces some classics and truly good music. But its the rare exception rather than the rule. Some of the stuff my 15 year old daughter listens too makes my heart just want to stop...I mean, if that's the future, why go on?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
OK folks,
Just what modern guns, purely on appearance, trip your trigger and would send you to squander your lottery winnings, if you had any?

Geoff
Who notes on pure appearance, he likes the early model Ruger 22/45 lightweight with the barrel cap...the current version...not so much...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I'm afraid I agree with Kevin when it comes to new guns but there are a few old ones that will cause my wallet to spring open. Almost anything in handguns that wears King sights will do it unless it is just stupid expensive. And I'm sure that there are others that I don't know of now but will know when I see it

One from not long ago that I truly regret not buying when I had the chance was one of Kimber's 20 ga. O/U shotguns with side locks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts