Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
And lo the angels of he lord sent a plague upon the land, and it was plastic and the peoples of the land were smited!

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
"Of course, the SgtMaj may worship at the Dark Lord's Tenifer Temple and surcome to the preachings of his agent Gaston Glock. "

No, no, no Guns... the pizza pistol has virtually no plastic.

how do you do that bloody quote thing anyhow?[/quote]

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charlie Petty said:
You got a problem with that?
CP, you've seen the pic in my sig, so why would you think I had a problem with it. I just wanted to spred the news and if you've seen it before, sorry. :(

I especially like the part about guide rods...
Thought you would. As I told you in another post, my pistol is now sporting the factory guide rod once again.

Schmidt, shame on you. :shame:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Quotes

Charlie Petty said:
how do you do that bloody quote thing anyhow?
Charlie, look at the bottom right corner of a post and you will see the "QUOTE" button. That's all there is to it.

BTW, didn't anybody see this article two weeks ago when Dean printed it?

Ed

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, I need someone to explain how you do that [/img] thing...
I see the hot button, but where must the image be stored?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Image posting

If I have this right, type in your message first. Then click on "Browse" to the right of Filename at the bottom of the reply screen. From there link to the picture on your computer that you want to post. It doesn't have to be anywhere in particular as long as you link to it. Add a caption in the File comment field.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Ed. It works perfectly. Great picture of your friend.

·
Registered
477 Posts
While two of my three pet peeve 1911 travesties were covered (full length guide rods, and plastic mainspring housings), I didn't see a direct reference to my third peeve- forward slide serrations.

Perhaps a Wednesday night study group could provide some insight?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Congratualtions on your wisdom, but IMO only one of your gripes has any functional basis.

Full length guide rods are the devil's invention and more likely to harm than help, but nobody has been able to present a case where a plastic mainspring housing failed. I agree that they look cheesy if they don't match the other finish but they don't do harm. The gun continues to work just fine.

Actually I like the forward serrations although I don't use them. Since we've eliminated the blasted full length guide rod it is possible to do a "press check" which reduces the need for any other gripping surface. But I think they look nice. Mostly they are cosmetic and your choice is just as good as mine :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
FLGR's suck...

I still don't see the lure of the front serrations... I can do a press check just fine with ever 1911 I own, thank you, and only one has the front cuts.

Maybe it's because I'm not a MACV-SOG, Delta, SEAL, Commando, Ninja, or something. The way I see it, if the pistol has them, okay, if it doesn't, that is okay too.

Of course, I like to checker the rear of my slides, so WTF do I know.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Aw shucks Jules... I gave you a great setup on plastic mainspring housings...

Actually checkering on the back of the slide does look cool and you'd be amazed at how much better the gun works

·
Registered
74 Posts
"I gave you a great setup on plastic mainspring housings..."

Are you kidding, I replace every MSH with an arched that has the lanyard loop on it. I CCW with a lanyard and besides, I can kung-fu someone with it if I run out of ammo... Because, of course, I carry twelve 10rd magazines in-case the SHTF and the fight might get hairy.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Hoosier Barry said:
While two of my three pet peeve 1911 travesties were covered (full length guide rods, and plastic mainspring housings), I didn't see a direct reference to my third peeve- forward slide serrations.
I lived without'em for many decades, then found, after suffering nerve damage to my left hand and the loss of dexterity in two fingers, suddenly those forward serrations made a great deal more sense.

·
Registered
477 Posts
OK, I have to admit I've never had a plastic mainspring housing fail.
Of course, they come off pretty soon after the gun gets home, so that may be part of it!
But, I honestly have not seen anyone else's fail either.

Forward slide serrations.
I see their intended purpose (I see their ugliness, also-ha!). I can see Mr. Speir's case. I can understand the snake eaters and their ilk who wear gloves most of the time, since gloves complicate, well, everything.
I still don't like them. Maybe I connect their appearance with FLGR's? Maybe if there never were FLGRs, the serrations would not have appeared.

I usually prefer Commander size 1911s. I suppose as soon as I got use to using the forward serrations on a 5" gun, I'd pick up a Commander, go for the serrations, and stick my fingers in the muzzle.
There it is! There's my argument! If all else fails- make it a safety issue.

Get your ammo, arrows, spears, whatever, and prepare the attack-
I'm a Browning HighPower nut. So, of course, I think all pistols need the forward slide cuts of the BHP, or nothing at all!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts