Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started watching this this afternoon; am about an hour into it.

I don't think I have ever seen a bleaker or more depressing movie, and I'm including 28 Days Later and Children of Men.

It actually reminds me of a novel I read back in the '70s called Power Play, about what happens when the lights go out in the US one night and never come back on. At first people think it's just temporary but eventually, when the grid never comes back up, civilization pretty much grinds to a complete halt and it's road warrior time. Father, Mother, Son, the mother dies early in the story and the father and son have to press on through a hopeless and hostile environment. If I'd written that book, I'd have my lawyers talking to Cormac McCarthy's lawyers. :? The Road also reminds me in spots of The Turner Diaries, and maybe Survivors and a couple other post-apocalypitic books I've read.

Interesting movie but not sure I'd recommend it for "date night." :?

·
Registered
83 Posts
When they filmed that movie, they searched for the most desolate, grim and nasty locale available.

They chose here.

Much of it was shot on Presque Isle, a peninsula off Erie, PA. They filmed in mid-winter, when you might as well be on the moon.

In the summer, a glorious riot of greenery, wildlife, beaches. In the dark reaches of January... well, I think Death has a winter cottage there.

I am less than 20 miles east, on the shore of Lake Erie. Winters cab be brutal here, we tend to get the weather that Buffalo rejects as too nasty.

But the Summers make it all worth it. Prettiest sunsets anywhere. Lake Erie is alive with game, long healed from the dark days of the '70s. We swim and kayak, are seldom indoors. We appreciate the summer more than most, maybe. A trade off for the days when you feel like poor Viggo. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can imagine it very well.

·
Registered
814 Posts
One of those movies that I'm glad I saw, but you couldn't pay me to watch it again.

I thought it would be grim, and I was flattened by just how dark, awful and depressing it was.

Kind of like "Harry Brown" by Michael Caine. Another movie I'm glad to have watched, but will never watch again.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patrick Sweeney said:
I thought it would be grim, and I was flattened by just how dark, awful and depressing it was.
It just might be the "grayest" movie ever actually filmed in color. :ehsmile:

Am now up to the part where Robert Duvall appeared. He was pretty darned good. If I hadn't cheated and Wiki-ed the movie in mid-viewing, I don't think I would have recognized him.
:shocked:

BTW, I'm pretty sure the guy The Man shoots fairly early on is the same actor who plays the stoner, white-trash dad on the Fox comedy Raising Hope.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
There was a similar Swedish movie some years ago about post nuke Europe half zombiesk half shoot me now depression, it was a very sobering look at "civilized" people reverting to survival. Most disturbing were scenes of canablism and rape.

This movie was of a teacher and his students trying to get back home after a field trip gone to hell. My cousins wanted me to watch it as during the reagan administration, they felt such a Europe was just a blink away

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patrick Sweeney said:
Garret Dillahunt? Also the Terminator in Sarah Connor Chronicles.

A character actor with a long and deserved resume.
By gosh, you're right!

Not many can carry off being an evil heavy and also be good at comedy, too. I always put John Lithgow at the top of that pile.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
He also played two different roles on Deadwood.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patrick Sweeney said:
A character actor with a long and deserved resume.
Speaking of character actors, the King Of Them All in my book is Stephen Lang, who first came to my attention in the old TV series Crime Story, prolly most recently seen in Avatar. He's so good he's often completely unrecognizable. Many, many times I've been surprised to see his name in the end credits of a movie or TV show, having just watched him for an hour or two and not recognized him at all! :shocked:

·
Registered
814 Posts
And a really nice guy, too. I taught him how to run a Winchester M1901 shotgun for the movie Public Enemies.

Look at his roles; a stone-cold lawman, Pickett, a scarred Marine centuries in the future, and a German red brigadist in NYC 30 years later, still up to no good.

The only thing I haven't seen him in is comedy.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patrick Sweeney said:
I taught him how to run a Winchester M1901 shotgun for the movie Public Enemies.
That's one where I didn't catch on till I saw his name in the end credits!

Really liked him in Band of the Hand, too. First use of a minigun in a movie?

·
Registered
814 Posts
The script had more of him, and with the 1901, too. But, it ended up on the cutting room floor. One of these days I'll rent the extended, directors cut version (if it gets made) and see if they put that back in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
McCarthy

McCarthy's books all seem to leave me feeling slightly unsettled. I read them, and then wish that I hadn't . I imagine that this movie would do the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting...I've read the book but haven't seen the movie, and a few days ago I asked a friend about it. His remarks echoed those here, and particularly Snake's and Patrick's - he said it was very bleak, a good movie to watch..once.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finished it, and ended up not hating it nearly as much as I thought I would at the halfway point. It ends with a glimmer of the possibility of some hope. Maybe.

I might watch it again, someday, but not for a while.

One thing that disturbed me quite a bit was the wife. Years ago, The Lovely Mrs. Snake battled depression, was finally diagnosed with it, and has been on meds for years, which have changed both of our lives. Some of the things she's told me since then about how she felt before her diagnosis reminded me of the wife in this movie. You can see such a person suffering, and you know there's no reason for it, really, and yet you are powerless to do anything about it. That's bleak. :(

·
Registered
814 Posts
No, bleak is having a means of dealing with that problem, but knowing that your supply if said solution will run out some day.

Seeing "some day" loom on the horizon turns bleak to grim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts