Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of leaving me at home alone on a Saturday, sooooo, I took a trip to my favorite local gun store. Being the low down dirty piece of scum that I am, I bought me a new toy on the day before Mother's Day!

I know...no class. But Deb is understanding and I do spoil her too, so it balances out.

I picked up a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. I don't own a 9mm, and when I picked this up, it just felt right in my hand. Single stack mag, not a bad trigger (pretty good, actually), 3 dot sights and low and behold a manual safety, about where this 1911 guy is used to it being.

Got a kydex holster (made by a local guy who does pretty good work) and some ammo. Been carrying it around for a couple of hours and it is hardly noticeable.

I'll run it through it's paces later and let y'all know how it shoots.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a M&P 45C inbound.

Figured I had it coming since my lovely wife is getting a pressure washer for Mother's Day...

I too have no class.
Well Walt, it's nice to know I am in good company. :D

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Congratulations.
I picked up one of those controversial new Remington R51 back in early April. Have yet to get it to the range. This is an "updating" of a gun Remington put out a century ago in .32ACP and .380ACP. The new one is in 9mm. and it doesn't use a conventional Browning tilt or cam barrel, it's "fixed" -- in that while not made as part of the frame, it does not tilt like most semis we know. It's based on the old Pederson system -- and it turns out it is a controversial gun as many people are claiming Remmie made errors and is (maybe) recalling them ... or "fixing" the design. I don't really know what this means as it's all internet yadayadayada so far. Remington isn't announcing anything, and to be sure some people on the blogs report the gun does work well.
Anyhow I want to like this gun because it fits my hand real well and points real nice.

As far as S&W I have a M&P 40 I have had for several years and it too has a very nice grip, and has been proven very reliable. I like it more than Glocks -- so take THAT--Gaston!!! "Glock perfection." Ha ha ha.
OK Glocks are nice guns too ... but they have no spirit. They just work.

But you know, as far as "spirit" is concerned, nothing in guns has that like the Colt 1860 Army .44. And while purty, those ol' cap & ball guns just ain't practical today. They say this fixed ammo thing is just a fad & it'll pass.
But WHEN?!?!?

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I've got a M&P 45C inbound.

Figured I had it coming since my lovely wife is getting a pressure washer for Mother's Day...

I too have no class.
No lousy vacuum for Walt's wife, she gets a full blown pressure washer. You gonna' have her start on the house or the garage first? ;)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
A buddy at the range let me shoot his new Remington and while it has absolutely nothing in common with the Model 51 it did feel good and had a very nice trigger.

The Model 51 was a Pedersen design from the 20s. It is very thin and has a grip shape that is wonderful. Unfortunately like everything Pedersen did it had more parts than it needed and would cost a fortune to make today

I have been a fan of the M&P from day one and even with the high capacity it feels good to me.

I have never been a fan of "compact" whatevers and when I could compare side by side almost always prefer the full size.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have never been a fan of "compact" whatevers and when I could compare side by side almost always prefer the full size.
Yep, but you have pretty big paws and probably don't climb on and off a lawn tractor a few dozen times every weekend.

I really like the M&P platform and find that the smaller frame of the compact means I get poked less while I'm working around the property.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
No lousy vacuum for Walt's wife, she gets a full blown pressure washer. You gonna' have her start on the house or the garage first? ;)
Welcome back, Ed.

I got to buy it and use it...

She just laughed.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was a full sized gun guy most of my adult life. When offered Compact or mid sized Glocks for a duty weapon, I chose the full sized version (The 31 then the 22)...and that was as an investigator.

But I guess I'm kinda wimping out as I get longer in the tooth. My last 4 purchases have been two J frames, a PPKs and now a a Shield. I confess that when I wrapped my chubby but short fingered hands around that single stack grip, it just felt right.

I know the J frames don't really have a "full sized" version, and neither does the PPKs, so maybe I'm off point here...but I am buying - and carrying - smaller guns.

And I'm the guy that owns two Model 29's, an XD Tactical in .45 and two full sized 1911's.

Guess I'm just fickle. :D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I know what you mean Terry. I've got a few handguns, and I tend to prefer semi-autos, but the one that always feels "just right" in my hand is my wife's 3" J-frame. It's got the round-butt with Hogue grips, and just kind of melts into your hand.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I find once a gun is large enough that you need a holster, a full size just carries better. The sub compacts (and I've had them all) all want to "squirt" out of an IWB, especially when I sit down. The slide on my LW Commander gets far enough under my belt line to sorta lock in place.

The sub compacts are best in an OWB that rides about as high on the belt as you can get it. But I just prefer an IWB with a full sized pistol.

Like the old saying goes...A pistol should first be comforting; then comfortable. For me, the Commander is both.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I do like the M&P's, all but the trigger. The two piece trigger really offers no "safety" that I can see. Any contact can discharge the pistol. At least the Glock has the little dingus in the middle so you at least have to contact the full trigger; yet we see incidents anyhow.

But I did setup a .45 M&P with a thumb safety, Apex aluminum one piece trigger and a 3.5lb disconnector. Added some night sights, removed the backstrap and re-profiled the grip for a small hand and then textured the whole thing. Had a hard time giving it back to the guy. Works just like a 1911 but light weight, and a big mag full of bull-etts!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do like the M&P's, all but the trigger. The two piece trigger really offers no "safety" that I can see. Any contact can discharge the pistol. At least the Glock has the little dingus in the middle so you at least have to contact the full trigger; yet we see incidents anyhow.

But I did setup a .45 M&P with a thumb safety, Apex aluminum one piece trigger and a 3.5lb disconnector. Added some night sights, removed the backstrap and re-profiled the grip for a small hand and then textured the whole thing. Had a hard time giving it back to the guy. Works just like a 1911 but light weight, and a big mag full of bull-etts!
Kevin, the Shield actually has a thumb safety. A small nub, it is easily deactivated with a downward swipe of my thumb...my knuckle lines up perfectly with it.

Now re-engaging the safety is a different story. It's a little more difficult.

I love my 4" aluminum framed Kimber. I don't use IWB, but it carries well too.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know what you mean Terry. I've got a few handguns, and I tend to prefer semi-autos, but the one that always feels "just right" in my hand is my wife's 3" J-frame. It's got the round-butt with Hogue grips, and just kind of melts into your hand.
Bingo, Cap'n! We're all different, and what might look like the perfect gun just isn't, once you pick it up.

When I chose the Shield, I also looked at an XD and a Glock, both with double stack mags. They just didn't hit that sweet spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts