Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys - got a letter today, she said the gas chamber cleared up her sinus infection.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys - her mother passed a while back and her father left her while she was still in the womb. She's lived with my wife and I during her diploma mill years.

She could have gone straight to Quantico after graduating from JMU but she chose to go the mustang route.

Pretty good kid but she's started eyeballing some of my guns; at least the ones that weren't lost in that tragic boating accident...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, graduation day will be one of the proudest days of my life.

And we're going for the whole 3 day deal.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where is she Walt? Quantico? Parris Island?

And what program? Is this basic or OCS or what?
"She could have gone straight to Quantico after graduating from JMU but she chose to go the mustang route."

The guy that recruited her told her that she would garner more respect as an officer if she went through boot.

And, being who she is that's what she chose.

She's in week 4 on Parris Island.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update - she got to blouse her pants, apparently that means that she and her platoon doesn't suck at COD. And she actually has her name on her uniform now.

She didn't drown during water training and next week she gets to learn the proper care and feeding of the M16A4.

Her letters sound like she's... kind of enjoying the experience.

I haven't told her that I'm drinking -all- of her beer while she's gone.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The kid has apparently undergone a religious epiphany - she's now a Catholic.

What prompted this you ask ?

The Catholic services have snacks... and better toilet paper.

I'm sure this will all be explained to me in April

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Apparently she didn't flunk IST, swim and unarmed combat qual and since her pants are bloused she's in phase 2.

She sez there are a lot of stupid out of shape people there, about a third have been sent home or recycled.

Next week is when the actual rifle instruction begins, I purposefully gave her very little training except for letting her disassemble and reassemble my Stag. After all, the Marine Corps does that better than anyone else on the planet.

Adrianne is in the middle of the shot.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Yesterday began Grass Week - the only time recruits are allowed on the grass.

Good news, she likes her new bunkie, bad news she's now right next to the DI's office.

In different news I had a tooth "extracted" today.

It ain't like the old days, didn't even need an aspirin.

Former Navy doc, though, and a shooter, so - Go Navy.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Adrianne begins the Crucible at 2 a.m. at the end of which she will be a United States Marine.

Memaw and I will be up to send positive waves in her direction.

And we are way proud.

On the down side, she doesn't get her 10 days of leave to come home and the public won't be allowed at graduation. She'll be shipped directly to school - or where she's needed. The situation has changed.

I understand the need for force protection but we hope to get to see her soon...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
As of this morning, my kid is a United States Marine.

Despite the facts that graduation has been cancelled for the public and that she won't be coming home on leave, her grandparents couldn't be prouder.

Semper Fi indeed...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks guys - she called yesterday and said that she was good except for the fact that her feet were shredded.

She was eating while she was talking - junk food from the MCX.

We're hoping she'll get to come home by the end of the Summer.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
She's a grandkid, lived with us after her mother passed while she went to college.

Paid for most of it herself then ran off and joined the Corps after getting an actual hard science degree.

Now she's going to get to see and do stuff I can only imagine.

Kathy and I are quite proud of her; except for the lying about being able to come home for Christmas part... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.