Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a mini 14 on layaway that is selling for $500 a few weeks back. I even called around to see if anyone else had one cheaper, and nobody did, so I committed myself to the the stainless one for $500. I paid $280 so far. I went to a different shop today, and low and behold, a blued mini with flash hider and bayo lug(done by ruger, not aftermarket), $309. :cry: friggin figures. :lol:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
solved the problem today, though. I am selling my .45, and I put the other mini on 60day layaway. I figure for $309, I might as well. Its not like I couldn't get my money back out of it. especially with the factory bayonet stud and flash hider.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I owned one Mini-14, a nice pre-ban stainless job with full wood stock and factory peep sight. I think I paid $425.

I added an A2-like flash supressor.

Very nice, light, reliable carbine. Never failed to cycle and fire.

The only gripe I had was the somewhat poor accuracy. I traded it in toward my first AR15, about three years ago.

They make good plinkers but I wouldn't rely on one for a SHTF weapon since mags and spare parts are hard to come by, compared to an AR or AK platform.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plinking is pretty much the only use I'd really have for em. I don't really foresee any shtf situations coming up, but that doesn't mean I don't have a bunch of M193 and M885 sitting around :lol:

I already have an AR, and an AK but I didn't have a mini 14 yet, and now I'll have 2. hahaha. I like shooting .223 but brass cased stuff is getting spendy, and wolf can still be had at reasonable prices...and I'm not in love with the idea of shooting wolf in my bushy. :lol: I hear they aren't outstanding for accuracy, but as long as I'm getting 3'' groups @ 100, I'm satisfied. :D Thanks for the tips!

have you ever tried the polymer mags? I hear they work. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Never tried poly mags.

In the short time I had my Mini, I found that many no-name mags are worthless, the Pro-Mag 10-rounders are very good (usually) and most 30-rounders (except old pre-bans) are garbage.

I think I located new, Pro-Mag 10-rounders from John Mason (?) and once I tried a few, ordered a bunch.

(Too bad I gave them away years ago! I could have sold them to you for $5 8) )

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
There are a number of Internet Retailers selling Mini-14 20 rounders, new in the box, for $39.99. CDNN has them.

The militarized, but still semi-auto Mini-14 is the Model GB, and you got a smoking deal on it.

I often wonder where people plan on buying repair parts after a SHTF situation. In a true situation of that magnitude, you won't be able to buy much of anything. What you have is what you use. If you think that your weapon will need spare parts, better buy them BEFORE. Sort of negates the "parts being hard to find" objection.

The Mini-14, like any sporter weight rifle, will be subject to barrel heating. It's just a fact of life. Your standard Remington 700, or Winchester Model 70 will do the same thing. If you plan on hiding in a neighborhood populated by Zombies, or entire chapters of Hells Angels, might I suggest a Model 1919A4, or a BAR? :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BAR...that'd be tough to beat!

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
After you get both Minis, Dex, pick your favorite and I'll give you $300 for the other one. I'll even come pick it up myself, so no shipping hassles. :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No deal, Snake. Its gonna cost you that bridge you're selling! :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I often wonder where people plan on buying repair parts after a SHTF situation. In a true situation of that magnitude, you won't be able to buy much of anything. What you have is what you use. If you think that your weapon will need spare parts, better buy them BEFORE. Sort of negates the "parts being hard to find" objection.

1. AR and AK parts are cheap and easy to get NOW, which makes it easy to have two or three extractors, firing pins, etc. I believe it is neccessary to deal directly with Ruger to get any parts now and some parts, such as a bolt, require you to ship the rifle to them to make the repair. You can walk into a gunshop, or pick up a catalog, and get whatever AR or AK parts you need.

2. It is quite possible that if and when there are no places available to buy parts, an AR, AK or M16 will be around; don't you think? Odds are, the "good guys" or "bad guys" will be using one or the other.

Just my two cents.

Magazines would likewise probably be anywhere that individuals were using AR/M16 or AK rifles, right?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figure there's enough minis out there that would be pressed into the SHTF role should the S ever HTF, and my bet is if its widespread, and chaotic, you'll have your choice on the ground in front of you. Minis have been selling like hotcakes around here. It seems to go in phases, though. like one time, you can't find em anywhere, 3 months later, they're filling the racks. used ones don't stick around long. I played heck finding the first one. The second one kinda fell into my lap...at a steal. hahaha.

I agree though. Nobody I ever heard of sells a mini 14 parts kit. tons of aftermarket stocks and junk. No parts kits though. its not really a military gun, so there's no surplus parts (like AKS) and people don't build their own (like ARs) so its understandable, the lack of parts out there. But its like my signature says, its better to have a decent rifle in hand than the perfect one in mind. :wink: If one of my minis finds its way into my trunk with a few good mags and enough ammo to get me back home to better gear, s'all I need. I'm not trying to engage anyone anyway. My main concern is getting my fiance`, her kid, and myself to safe ground. everything else is a detail to be worked out. hahaha.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I think you got a pretty good deal on both. I have been looking for one for awhile $500 is a decent deal and $309 is smokin.

There was a used one in Reno for $425 I was hot to get but it was gone before I got to it.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
Numrich Arms sells most Mini-14 parts, including the Ranch Rifles. That includes most repair/wear parts. The Mini-14s that I see haven't needed much beyond recoil springs, even in the Range guns that went 44-45K.

If I'm able to scrounge battlefield parts, I'm able to scrounge battlefield replacements that won't be semi-auto only. Why bother with extractors when you can have the whole weapon?

Why would SHTF scenarios always involve action against the military/paramilitary? If you're actually fighting against a military, you're dead in any set-piece battle. Red Dawn was a movie.

If you're picking up AKs from any modern army, you'd better have a large supply of 5.45x39 ammo. They won't be chambered in 7.62x39, nor will their parts work in your old AK47s.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in a SHTF scene, its not the police/military I'm concerned about. We all saw what happened after katrina and the LA riots. the whole idiot mob mentality.

When I said about lots of rifles being everywhere, I was talking about civilian stuff. And chances are we're never going to see another revolution in this country. I think most people are too fat, lazy, and complacent to mount a revolution even if the government taxed their eyesight. :lol: But with terrorist attacks, and junk like that, you never know. My main concern in a situation like that is keeping my family alive, and safe. I couldn't care less about the glory of battle. :lol: (yeah, I guess I'm one of those lazy complacent people I referenced. hahaha.)

I don't foresee any combat-oriented uses for my rifles in the future. I do foresee a few cases of wolf .223 though. :D And if my fiance knew I was buying 2 new (to me) rifles, I wouldn't have to worry about looters, terrorists, or swarms of the undead. :lol: Am I right? hehehe

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dex,

If you can't hide the purchase, or convince her that the new blued Mini is your old M1 Carbine or something, try plan B, which involves making it quite clear you are trading one rifle away, in order to buy a new one! That means less cash spent and no change in room for shoes/other girl stuff in the closets!

I speak from experience.

:roll:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna go with a don't ask, don't tell policy. :lol: Well, mostly don't tell. When I started my new job, and told her how much my first check was, she goes "Must be nice." Well yeah...it kinda means we won't be living in a tent. :roll: but it mostly meant I was buying the stainless mini. :lol: She doesn't know what's in my collection, but that doesn't mean she couldn't name the things in my collection were she to take the time. She knows her stuff, which is cool. But it also kinda sucks for truth-bending purposes. hahahaha. Oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts