Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
That really is a neat thing. 340 hp and it can carry a days worth of range gear? I wonder if they'd trade one for a slightly used BMW 330 ci?

Oh- never mind. It only comes with auto transmissions.
What's that all about? How can it be a "performance car" w/o a manual trans?

· Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, the auto trans of today are a vast improvement over the 3 speed Torqueflight that was in my first car (a '66 Barracuda).

Yet, the old-fashioned manual trans still offers several significant advantages over even todays autos;

1) A manual trans has a direct link between the crank and the driveshaft. Don't forget that in an auto the drive is from one "fan" spinning opposite another, driven by tranny fluid. Think for a minuite about that means for power transfer.

2) Last I looked, manuals were still quite a bit lighter than autos, and much easier on your wallet both initially and at the gas pump.

3) A manual trans offers more control for a skilled user than an auto

And, finally;

4) Manuals are more fun to use for a driver who actually enjoys the act of driving.

So, untill the day finally arrives when carmakers stop offering cars with manual transmissions, or I end up living in the Big City (never happen), I'll keep my olde-tyme manual.

· Registered
118 Posts
Those old Broncos were really good trucks.
Back from those good old days when SUVs actually went off road.
Imagine that.

I remember those "3 on the tree" shifters. Kind of goofy for a lot of reasons, but fun nonetheless. The linkage would get so sloppy that you never knew if the thing was actually going to shift or just grind away.

Anyone else remember the Chrysler push-button auto trans?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.