Gun Hub Forums banner

This isn't your dad's station wagon...

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Super Six One 
#1 ·
I think the folks at Dodge just hit a home run with their new Magnum. A station wagon with 340 hp? Did I mention the aggressive stance? I like it!

#2 ·
That really is a neat thing. 340 hp and it can carry a days worth of range gear? I wonder if they'd trade one for a slightly used BMW 330 ci?

Oh- never mind. It only comes with auto transmissions.
What's that all about? How can it be a "performance car" w/o a manual trans?

#7 ·
Stick Shift?

You want a stick shift?

I learned on one of them things, back in 19-ought-50.

There have been a few automotive improvements since then.

Stick shift?

I trust all your handguns are revolvers, and single action at that.

Or, perhaps you prefer pinfires or matchlocks.

Perhaps Dodge should give stick shift customers one pepperbox with each stick shift.

#9 ·
Yeah, the auto trans of today are a vast improvement over the 3 speed Torqueflight that was in my first car (a '66 Barracuda).

Yet, the old-fashioned manual trans still offers several significant advantages over even todays autos;

1) A manual trans has a direct link between the crank and the driveshaft. Don't forget that in an auto the drive is from one "fan" spinning opposite another, driven by tranny fluid. Think for a minuite about that means for power transfer.

2) Last I looked, manuals were still quite a bit lighter than autos, and much easier on your wallet both initially and at the gas pump.

3) A manual trans offers more control for a skilled user than an auto

And, finally;

4) Manuals are more fun to use for a driver who actually enjoys the act of driving.

So, untill the day finally arrives when carmakers stop offering cars with manual transmissions, or I end up living in the Big City (never happen), I'll keep my olde-tyme manual.

#10 ·
Big Mike isn't a connoisseur of Torque and Horsepower...

Yeah, and all my guns are revolvers and flintlocks...
http://www.madogre.com/weapons_section.htm
Couple of slingshots too.

When the Nissan 300 ZX came out it marked the first time that the automatic version of the car was faster than the stick. Yes, there are some improvements... maybe even some advantages.
But he's right to a point. I'm old school when it comes to hotrods.
The visceral thrill of controlling 350 horses with your left and right feet is something special to me... I don;t care how much power a car has, because with an auto (even tiptronic) it's like wearing a condom.

#14 ·
I prefer the manual trans, but I don't own one at the moment. When we got married, my wife wanted to buy her "dream car" and I said, sure! What did I know? She wanted a bright red Camaro with t-tops.
I said as long as she didn't think I was going to grow a mullet to match it, that was fine. Then came the bombshell--V6, automatic trans, non-negotiable. Yuck.
Well, it was her dream car, so I found her one and we bought it. Yuck. I mean, it looks cool. It's a '95 with the Z28 wheels and all. But it's long, heavy, hard to park because you can't see the nose or the back, it's hell to get in and out, the doors are only about seven feet long, it's an oven in the summer because of the huge expanses of glass. . . . I could forgive all that in a screamer, but this car is a wuss. It has tiny brakes, a soft, spongy automatic, teensy little anti-roll bars, and a 3.4l V6. Not even the 3.8, but the 3.4. Ick.

My first vehicle was a 1977 Bronco (the generation that looked like a Ford Jeep) with a three speed on the column. It was practically impossible and I loved it. I wish I still owned it. Three on the tree, manual brakes, manual steering, a 302 4bbl, insane granny low, 4.11 gears front and rear, front Dana 44, rear Ford 9-inch axles. . . . that thing was bulletproof. It would go anywhere on 31-inch all-terrains.

#15 ·
Those old Broncos were really good trucks.
Back from those good old days when SUVs actually went off road.
Imagine that.

I remember those "3 on the tree" shifters. Kind of goofy for a lot of reasons, but fun nonetheless. The linkage would get so sloppy that you never knew if the thing was actually going to shift or just grind away.

Anyone else remember the Chrysler push-button auto trans?

#16 ·
Munenn said:
Those old Broncos were really good trucks.
Back from those good old days when SUVs actually went off road.
Imagine that.

I remember those "3 on the tree" shifters. Kind of goofy for a lot of reasons, but fun nonetheless. The linkage would get so sloppy that you never knew if the thing was actually going to shift or just grind away.

Yep, had a 1960 Plymouth Fury 4 door with the pushbuttons. That car was a tank!

Back on topic. I'm waiting for AWD in the Magnum. It'll replace my 4x4 P/U and Caprice.

#22 ·
My Dad inherited one in 1985 from his Aunt that passed away. It was a Dodge Phoenix with 22,000!!!! original miles. That sucker would fly!! I tried to get my Dad to sell it to me for my 1st car but he sold it. I was sick. :x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.