Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have an M1 that needs some help. The bolt disassembled itself when fired - thought it was bad ammo, but now suspect the extractor is shot. The barrel is rough and the rear sight is loose.

Is getting a new bolt simply a drop in part and is a new barrel out of the question?

TIA,

Al

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
If the bolt simply disassembled itself then you don't need a new bolt. It is more likely that the bolt had been taken apart at some time then reassembled incorrectly. That resulted in the extractor plunger being turned to an incorrect position. When this happens, the carbine will usually function fine for a while until suddenly the extractor pops out and the bolt flies apart. Nothing unusual there. I would check the extractor for wear. If it is ok then just get a new extractor spring and plunger and reassemble the bolt. ( get the gi bolt tool for around $20-$25, you'll need it.)
Rebarreling is not difficult with the right tools, but make sure you or your funsmith have them. Otherwise the new barrel or the reciever can be unrecoverably damaged. Do not get a Chrome lined replacement barrel! They are usually bad and short chambered. They are very difficult and expensive to get headspaced. And you must have the headspace checked if you replace the barrel. Figure the barrel will cost between $125 and $250 depending on what you buy. Gunsmith services will run another $75 or more. As you can see, it is possible to replace the barrel, but it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Brian Dick is just down the road from me. I'll probably use him for any barrel work (or someone he recommends) as we have no smiths here in Columbia.

Any good sources for the bolt tool and parts?

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I suggest Nick Dailey. He's got decent parts at fair prices. He can be reached at [email protected]. You didn't specify what make your carbine is. I have an Inland round bolt that I've been thinking about putting up on eBay. The finish is worn, but the bolt is ok. If you are interested, let me know.

G

·
Saginaw S.G. type 2 bolts are notorious for coming apart, like this? Wouldn't happen to be an S.G. marked bolt... would it?? The ear lug also are known to break off these bolts, too. I have had (3) to disassemble themselves like this. Changing the extractor, spring, and plunger... usually corrects this problem on S.G. bolts, that disassemble themselves, I had found. :wink:

G

·
I also recommend getting TM9-1276/TO39A-5AD-2, which is the repair & rebuild manual the military used at depot and arsenal levels. This will show you the proper way to do the repairs you mentioned, for which you can quiz your potential gunsmith. In this case, the military way IS the right way, unusual but correct! :lol: :lol: Any other attempts at repair without following these methods will result in a "bubbaized" Carbine. If done properly, they will be "invisible", as they should be. None are very hard to accomplish, IF you have the right tools and knowledge. The Carbine is pretty specialized and has unusual characteristics, so make sure whoever does these repairs knows them well, and has the right tools and equipment. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts