Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THAT . . .

is the Quest, . . . CHUN!!!

Yes, but I don't think Chun King ever made anything like these. I just added three more highly desirables to my collection of hot sauces, and yes, I do eat these, usually on sardines, steak or burgers, and yes, I do approach with caution, having learned a very hard and valuable lesson with Da Bomb's Beyond Insanity a few years ago. Today's order was:

Alberta Crude
Blair's Possible Side Effects
Delicious Suffering

:duh: :duh: :neer: :neer: :pigsfly: :shocked: :shocked: :thumbsup: :biggun:

See ya latuh!!! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Delivery came in today. Since I had ordered three items, I got a free bottle of Tahiti Joe's Kumawanakilya sauce free. I decided to try the Delicious Suffering and Alberta Crude on sardines soon after. I found both to have extremely nice taste, and I'm looking forward to another try of each, because they both don't really taste that hot and the flavor was so good. I like it when the hot sauce warriors can make a sauce that also tastes good.

I only used a minimum amount of each sauce, having learned my lesson with Da Bomb's Beyond Insanity two or three years ago. You start small with these hot sauces and learn how much you can take pretty much on your first or second try. I think the Alberta Crude just might rate pretty high on the Scoville scale, which is not shown on their label, but the heat could be muted because of the presence of brown sugar in the recipe. I had a similar experience with Blair's MegaDeath, rated at 550,000 Scovilles but surprisingly "mild" supposedly because of the molasses in the recipe.

I have a bit of a problem with these Scoville ratings sometimes. If your sauce is rated at 550,000 Scovilles, but a sauce that's rated at only 234,000 tastes much hotter, how did it get the higher heat rating?

When you're The Great Dumboni, this stuff can make your head hurt.

I think it's time for some more bourbon or rye, or maybe tonight I'll go with a nice refreshing BombaGina.

:banghead: :pigsfly: :banghead:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ahh, yes! A fellow connoisseur of the, ‘inferno of the mouth’. :fire: I used to imbibe quite a few of these gourmet sauces, too; but, then, I started reading the labels and decided to go the fresh route – instead. Now I’m the scourge of Shop-Rite’s produce aisle: red habaneros, green jalapeños, orange scotch bonnets, pablanos, and those great yellow banana peppers. Among other things, I’ve learned to use them in: balsamic vinegars, alfredo sauces, all sorts of soups, and stuffed into meat roasts. (I'm going to have to try your trick with the sardines!) :D

Last year I gave up eating all refined sugar products; (lost over 50#’s) and this has caused me to crave, ‘hot’ flavors instead of sweets. The only bottled hot sauce I’ll eat, now, is, ‘Tabasco’ brand. (The label lists only: peppers, vinegar, and salt.) It’s kind ‘a funny, but, I really don’t miss the sweets. If I had to give up the hot stuff, though, I think THIS would bother me a whole lot more. :cryinlaugh:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhhhhh yes, and maybe someday when I get a chance to spend more time in the kitchen I will join you in the fresh pepper experimentation. In the meantime, these crazy hot sauces are like something I've been looking for all my life, since I've always loved hot food. Down on the farm in Puerto Rico, my grandmother, departed in 1986, used to have this small bottle of clear liquid, probably vinegar, with all sorts of crazy looking peppers and other stuff in it that was quite hot on the table. I used to put it on my rice.

I know what you mean about white sugar. Back in my bodybuilding days, I learned the physical culture life style and that white sugar, white flour and white rice were to be avoided as much as possible, limiting the intake or eliminating the intake.

My current hot sauce collection includes:

Mad Dog .357 Collector's Edition - 600,000 Scovilles
Blair's Megadeath - 550,000 Scovilles
Mad Dog .357 - 357,000 Scovilles
Blair's Possible Side Effects - 283,000 Scovilles
Da Bomb's Ground Zero - 234,000 Scovilles
Dave's Ultimate Insanity - 150,000 Scovilles
Da Bomb's Beyond Insanity - 119,700 Scovilles
Dave's Temporary Insanity Sauce - 57,000
Dave's Insanity Sauce - 51,000 Scovilles

Blair's After Death - Unknown
Alberta Crude - Unknown
Delicious Suffering - Unknown
Tahiti Joe's Kumawanakilya Sauce - Unknown

I also have a bunch of others which are not ranked in pyropepper.com's "World's Hottest" category like the ones above. Melinda's XXXX Habanero Sauce and Desert Pepper Trading Co.'s XXX Habanero Sauce are two of the other hottest sauces that I have and they both taste great. I'll eat those when I DON'T feel like dealing with Weapons of Mass Destruction. Otherwise, I'll pick from the list above. If you think those WMD's don't exist, just check out my refrigerator!!!

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :duh: :duh: :duh:

You've really got me going now, and here I am at work with no hot sauce in sight. As for tabasco, what is it, somewhere between 3,000 and 10,000 Scovilles? Quite tame, but good tasting, no question.

As for what to put those things on, yes, burgers and steaks of course, chicken of course, but it's also just so simple to get out two or three cans of Beach Cliff or Brunswick sardines and dribble a little WMD on those, spread it out thinly and eat them out of the can. Great quick meal, along with whatever else you feel like having afterwards, which is usually something to kill that heat!!!!

:banghead: :fire: :fire: :banghead: :duh:

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D Milk and crackers kills the heat! A little piece of cheeze may, also, help. :twisted:

PS: Like your idea for a quick snack; sure beats the Hell out of McDonalds' junk. (Remember to drink plenty of cold water, too.)

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes indeed. I usually kill the heat with soy milk, bread or cheese, and sometimes even a couple pieces of fruit helps a bit. Drinking the oil out of the sardine can also helps in that. Sometimes I opt not to really kill the heat.

:D :D :D :D :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :D

:pigsfly: :pigsfly:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh dear, now look what you've done. I keep opening up pyropepper.com and my debit card is threatening to jump out of my wallet.

IT'S THREATENING TO BECOME AS BIG AS MY BOURBON COLLECTION!!!

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! . . .

THUMP!!!

:m16: :cop: :banghead: :fire: :biggun: :biggun: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :help: :help: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
75 Posts
:eek: Oh, Did You Say; 'Bourbon'! :thumbsup:

Then, of course, you'd be familiar with each of these:

#1. Booker's, True Barrel Bourbon

#2. Knob Creek, Bourbon

#3. Makers Mark, Bourbon

#4. Jim Beam, Black Label, Bourbon

#5. Wild Turkey, 101, Bourbon

#6. Jack Daniels, Black Label, Bourbon

#7. Old Grand Dad, Bourbon

Yes, there are other great Bourbons; but, I'm sure we'll be able to, 'get by' with this measly selection; and, I'm sure you'll agree, then, that only, 'panty-waists' drink Scotch! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a measly selection at all Double A, and if you'd like to see my Top 25, don't forget to check out Spiritus Fermenti.

:cop: :cop: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D OK, I will; as a matter of fact, I'm heading over to the, 'Spiritus Fermenti' forum right now. But, before I leave, I'm kind 'a curious; 'Ice cream and bourbon, huh?' Exactly what flavor ice cream are we talking about, here. My first choice would have to be Cherry Vanilla! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So happy when after decades of waiting, Haagen Dazs came out with a Cherry Vanilla flavor, but let me name a few more, in no special order, because it's so hard to pick out a real FAVORITE. :D

Vanilla Swiss Almond
Butter Pecan
Coffee
Chocolate Chocolate Chip
Vanilla Chocolate Chip
Mint Chip
Cherry Vanilla

. . . and I apologize to any flavors I've forgotten, and of course you can throw in all those speciality flavors that come and go too, like French Vanilla Mousse, Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Raspberry Torte, Bailey's Irish Cream, etc.

:cop: :cop: :mrgreen: :pigsfly:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yes, and before leaving work yesterday morning, I went to pyropepper.com and put in another order:

Dead Heat Hot Sauce
Mad Dog Inferno Reserve
Predator (Great White Shark) Hot Sauce

I think that completes the collection for now:

:flameon: :duh: :cop: :fire:

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
I'm surprised that no one brought up one of the tastier condiments around, one to which m'daughter the celebrated Chef-a-go-go rock 'n' roll tour maîtresse de cuisine introduced me some years ago, and which has become a staple e'er since: chipotle pepper.

I cook with them frequently as we are a household which believes in a dictum I first learned from a Kenyan fo'c's'le mate during my two years beneath the mast of a West Indiaman windjammer 40 years ago: "A man should sweat when he eats," and I think back fondly of those carefree, good livin' days of an East Indian, ten-boy Curry and Lemon Hart 151° Demerara Rum, neat, as an aperitif.

Before she hit the rock 'n' roll road, m'daughter was the Specialty Foods manager in a couple of NYC venues, Eli's Old Vinegar Factory and the uptown Fairway, and was forever bring home samples of hot sauces and, well, specialty foods. Some were good, a couple were great, but none quite as simple, versatile and satisfying as a decent quality chipotle.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right you are Mr. Speir, and I'm familiar with the names of the places your daughter has worked by the way, although can't say I've ever been inside either place.

And although I can't speak for anyone else around, I'm quite familiar with the taste of chipotle as well as its various uses.

By the way, guess what's a key ingredient in several of the hot sauces I mentioned in this thread???

:D

But of courrrrrrrrrrrrrrse.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Latest delivery came in yesterday, and there was another one of those freebies from Tahiti Joe's thrown in. I think pyropepper.com is having one of those things where you buy three of any other product and get a free Tahiti Joe's hot sauce. I think that's why I ordered three sauces on each of my last two orders. It also makes the shipping costs spread out more equitably.

The coffin that Dead Heat's Hot Sauce comes in is a real hoot, along with the enclosed "death certificate." I've seen a few of those in my day. :eek:mg:

The freebie from Tahiti Joe's was something called Alaskan Gassline with a very funny label. I took it in good stride, despite the fact that they're making fun of our president, a man whom I support wholeheartedly. It has a picture of an Eskimo with George W. Bush printed on the underside of the brim of his hat which is turned up so you can see the name. The eskimo has his pants down and a polar bear is sticking the Alaska pipeline . . .

well, he's sticking the Alaska pipeline up his . . . Gass, and a seal is standing by cheering the polar bear on. Haven't tried either of the Tahiti Joe's sauces yet, but they get an A+ for the design and humor on their labels.

Overall, very pleased with the way the last two orders worked out money-wise.

Shift is ending soon, one or two more jobs to do, see y'all later.

:pigsfly:

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried Hot Sauce Harry's Death Sauce and Predator on sardines Monday afternoon. Both had nice heat and flavor, and were rather thin in texture. I was being very careful with them, because I found Scoville ratings on both of these. Death Sauce measures out to 100,000 and Predator at a whopping 175,000. Although they both have quite a bit of heat, because they are thin in texture, and not "gloppy" like Blair's, Da Bomb's or Mad Dog's, next time I'll be able to put more on.

A "drop" of each of these is actually a few shakes worth, whereas beware of putting just one "drop" of any of the others on anything. A drop of Blair's, Da Bomb's or Mad Dog's sauces is actually a pretty big "glop" by comparison, and it takes several shakes of a thinner sauce to equal one glop of a thicker one.

. . . next time I'll be able to put more on. Hmmmmmmm, lemme say that fast, . . . more on, moreon, moron, . . .

MORON!!! Heyyyyyyyyyy, now THERE'S SOMETHING I KNOW REAL WELL!!!

Well, errrrrr, someONE I know real well, . . .

ME!!! :roll: :duh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts