Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

…and on this date in 1911 the Model 1911 semi-automatic pistol was adopted by the United States military, today is considered a Holy Day of Obligation among Schmit's and my Lodge 1201 brothers.

RTWP and I will be observing at the mighty Pine Barrens Range with some Triton (ah!, there) 230-grain JHP.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I spent today (the day before my 50th b-day) driving back from Atlanta. Speaking of 50, did any of you SHOT attendees get a gander at Guncrafter Industries .50 GI ? I inquired about it earlier, but all I got was limp napkin tricks :D The price tag was a little steep, about 3K if I remember correctly, but it kind of intrigued me.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Happy Birthday Walt! As my sister says, I'm not 50, I'm 49.95 plus tax.

I don't have a 1911 so to pay my respects to Mr. Browning I fondled my high Power instead.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Funny you should ask Walt. I saw the thing at the Shot show and was given the assignment to check it out for a story that will be in the next issue ofAmerican Handgunner.

The cartridge looks very much like a .45 except bigger. It has a rebated rim to the same size. The case is 0.060" larger in diameter which means different magazines and frame mods.

There are two loads for now, both with Speer 300 gr. TMJ bullets at 700 and 900 fps. The recoil isn't bad at all. The lighter load feels pretty much like .45 ball in recoil terms and the heavy one much like early, hot, 10mm.

External appearance is identical to the 1911. I've shot it about 300 times now with no malfunctions at all. It really smacks the gong too.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I considered buying myself a .50 for my 50th. The pricetag kinda puckered me up, though. Guess I'll get some mag subscriptions instead... Plan to do a little quality time with my Kimber this p.m. after I get my chores done. Ed, I reckon rubbing a BHP is perfectly appropriate for the DAY - now, go out and shoot it ! :D

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
WaltGraham said:
Ed, I reckon rubbing a BHP is perfectly appropriate for the DAY - now, go out and shoot it ! :D
I was planning on doing exactly that this morning. I've got 6 mags already loaded. I just picked up the real McCoy last Thursday night (a true Browning HP and not a clone) and I put about 5 mags through her then. Fired some of the best groups in my life. BUT, I'm home with two sick little boys this morning. Fevers and sore throats so I'm being Mr. Mom. (that's fine by me)

Ed

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Nice article on the 50 G.I. Charlie - I got the impression that you found it more appealing than the .45 Gaffe. How'd you rate a stunt double in the pics? Were you off with the CobraSkin girl :twisted:

Nice Glock KB pic in there too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts