Gunhub.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone has ever listened to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show, but he airs live at 1406 hours (Eastern) on Sundays, and if there's no carrier station in your area, you can "stream" it over www.kbnp.com.

What's especially valuable is that all of his shows are available from his archives… those can be streamed as well, or if you're still on a DUN (s-l-o-o-o-o-o-w), you can download them straight to your hard drive.

He's graciously suggested that I might come on with him sometime, and I might actually try to stammer my way through a short segment if Tom is that desperate to fill some time.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Maybe he could do a 3-way with Dean and yourself on the phone, CP, and get fair and balanced transnuncication... :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Gee thanks, Walt. A mental image of Dean, Charlie, and Tom G. in a 3 way anything is NOT what I needed.... :wink:

"transnunciation"?????? Good 'un....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tommy The WannaBe Gun Guy on The Radio-

Greetings from Anchorage ladies and gents!
Please pardon both my typing and wordsmith skills for I'm just a shooter/reloader/guncrank and yes a 60yr old biker with a compulsion for firearms.
We get Gun Talk here mid-morning Sunday which is about my coffee and road trip time for church at Rabbit Creek Range every week. As a so called gun guy I've found myself holloring at Tom that he needs to buy a clue cuz he obviously hasn't studied the questions posed!
Yes Tom, there is a carbine chambered in 454 Casull (no decimal cuz it ain't a .454!) available from Rossi and Tom there ain't no such thing as a three inch S&W .500!
At this hour that's all that comes to mind this deep in the Absolute but there were more.
I'm still extremely happy we do have Tom on the radio and the guy (whos name slips my mind) on the cable Shooters Show. Hell, I watch Burt shoot anything on the cable channel hokie it may be there's a Barret (I don't care if APD sold theirs cuz they suck on paper!) and a by god survivalist on the tube!
PS, I did email the TV show inquiring about what bullet trap they used indoors (with No Response!) out of curiosity since I've owned my own 10 lane Detroit Armour business and was curious about a home trap a little more inexpensive than the Savage system.
PSS, IMHO, Tom ain't a gun guy!

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
I didn't hear the program, but I can assure you that there is a 3" ( or 4") 500 S&W. I know these things because I held it in my own hands at the Shot Show... probably the same place Tom did.

No, there wasn't any indication that they were going to catalog it. I thought it was a joke although I'm sure that there would be a few sold to people with absolutely no pain receptors remaining...

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I thought I remembered you mentioning a 3" S&W 500 at last year's SHOT on P*, but unfortunately, I couldn't check the archives.
I've heard mention of it once since then, too, but I can't remember where.

G

·
0 Posts
I'll wait till they come out the the Ultra-Light PD model! :roll:

I went to the Gun Talk web site looking for a station listing but to no avail. :(

Though I did read over the sight and joined their forum. While reading the site and "highlights of shows" I had an idea for one. This is never a good thing - me having ideas, as most people who hear them think I need professional help. We'll see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am afraid that I have to agree with Monte! I listen to the show every week and am continually frustrated with Tom's inability to discuss/answer peoples questions. He is not a "gun guy". Perhaps he could host a "flying" program. None the less, I am happy the show is on the air; just wish they would actually get a host who knew something about firearms. Sorry if this seems a little harsh.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are we talking about the same guy?

Tom is one of the most knowledgeable people about firearms I know. He's Grits Gresham's son and practically grew up with a gun in his hand. He is, I believe, a graduate of multiple shooting schools. We just spent a bunch of time together in California getting ready to host SHOT Show TV, and he's pretty much spot on when it comes to things that go bang.

Michael B

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ye Gawds and Small Pistol Primers!!!

I'm down with Bane on this one, and I don't care whose son Tom is. "Ain't a gun guy?!?!" A vile calumny! As egregiously inept an assessment as I've ever seen anywhere on this Forum!

And I don't even know, Tom… but I listen to his show whene'er I can, albeit mostly through the archives! I think I've caught one (1!) mistake… he'd forgotten a piece of information that one of his guests had slipped into a rambling reply two weeks earlier. But that's no reason to label him lousy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to upset your applecart boys! I listen every week; people are always calling in and asking about this or that gun; and I get the impression that Tom has to look it up in a book ! A few weeks ago someone called in regarding a P7M8; and it took Tom a minute to ask "is that the one with the squeaze cocker" Give me a break! I have heard many similar questions regarding rifles that he knew nothing about. Now on shotguns he seems to know what he is talking about; well, that and flying. When it comes to an awful lot of it; he doesn't know his 9mm Kurz from his Largo! And just because he has attended a bunch of shooting schools doesn't mean he knows a damn thing about guns; only that he knows how to shoot that one! What does that have to do with anything? I myself have called in many times to answer someones question that Tom did not know; or to correct him on an answer he gave. I can't believe you guys have really listened to the show. A very disappointing host; but then I guess some people are easily satisfied. Best Regards.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JAD1225 said:
Sorry to upset your applecart boys!
Actually, from the tone of your posts in this thread, It seems as if you're delighting in it.
A few weeks ago someone called in regarding a P7M8; and it took Tom a minute to ask "is that the one with the squeaze{SIC} cocker"!
Fair enough, but I'd wager any or all of a nickel that if someone had asked about a Super Blackhawk, he wouldn't've had to ask "is that the one you have to thumb cock first?"
I myself have called in many times to answer someones question that Tom did not know; or to correct him on an answer he gave. I can't believe you guys have really listened to the show. A very disappointing host; but then I guess some people are easily satisfied.
And there it seems to be the crux of the issue…
  1. "Rank 'n' file" people who know even a teensy bit more about a particular subject than someone who's talking from a professional position about that same subject, tend to get all huffy and proprietary about their own knowledge. I know… 30-40 years ago I was that way m'self. But once the other perspective is experienced, we tend to not get so huffy about it. Look at our own Charlie Petty… he's forgotten more stuff than me 'n' Bane put together ever learned, but the only times he gets testy is when someone here… no names, but their initials are MO and sometimes FC … comes on and casually disseminates misinformation like they're "in the know." (And we're not talking opinions here!)

And Dan'l Watters, who's cursed with an encyclopedic recall of everything ever written about small arms, frequently corrects me, calmly and courteously, on stuff he learned from me (and others) 12-15 years ago. I imagine he's done it with others as well.
    [/*:m:3qxt10gr]
  2. It's not so much that we're "easily satisfied" so much as I guess we're tickled to hear something come over the airwaves that's not screaming alarums and scarums about "deadly dum-dum bullets" or "high-powered assault weapons" or "closing the gun show loophole," so some slack is probably cut.[/*:m:3qxt10gr]
I have listened to Tom's archived shows, and marvel that he is able to do what he has been doing, particularly live and in real time. I did radio for almost seven years back in the '70s and '80s… Keeerrissssst!, Bane used to listen to me when he was wood-shedding a book in a publisher's house out in Southhold one Winter… and I worked from my own well-polished script 85% of the time. When I wasn't, I'd be stammering all over the control panel.

I'm glad that you take the time to call in and contribute to the show… and I'll wager a whole six bits that Tom is positively awash in gratitude for the help.

He'll never say so, of course, but I will… I think you need to have a little bit better of an attitude about it, is all.

And as I say, I don't even know the guy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I appreciate your opinions Mr. Spier; but you seem to be responding regarding the quality of the show which is not what I was referring to at all. I merely stated that in my opinion he was not particularly knowledgeable regarding firearms. Sorry if you are reading "attitude" into my posts; usually when that happens, the attitude is coming from yourself since you are "reading things into" what is being stated. I have posted a poll over on The High Road; lets see what happens. Now you all rush over there and vote for that member of the "good old boys" club OK!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
JAD1225 said:
I appreciate your opinions Mr. Spier(sic)
'Nuff said.

THR, huh? I guess that's the be-all, end-all of anything concerning guns. I need not wonder why I find myself spending less and less time there....

Edit added: The poll at THR was posted by "care-less". Definitely 'nuff said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I sure don't know everything. Not even close. Military and antique guns are a weak point for me. I like hunting guns the most, so that's where most of my background and reading has been.

But -- and this is something often lost on folks -- it's a call-in show. If I answer the question, that's the end of the calls. If I ask for callers to help out . . .

Another point is that I sometimes get someone taking me to task for something I said, but when you go back and listen to the recorded show, I did not say that.

For instance, I've talked about the prototype 3-inch barrel .500 S&W before. I also announced the new 4-inch barrel model which will be shown for the first time next week at SHOT.

Besides, if I get it wrong, the phone rings off the hook! And that's a good thing.

Oh, and we won't mention that it's live, with a computer monitor and 5 screens delivering info, and the clock running, and the producer talking to the host through the headphones, and the email pouring in, and the guest is talking while the caller is interrupting, and now the music is playing, and the computer WILL cut off everyone when the commercial starts running . . .

Hey, it's fun, but I've hit a few foul balls, fersure. Part of my job is to make folks feel superior, and that part is easy for me. <grin>

Oh, this Sunday, Paul Erhardt, from Sigarms, will be on the show, and he has FREE STUFF for Gun Talk listeners.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thank you, Tom, and keep up the good work. Every positive voice for our side is a help, and no one's perfect.

How many talk shows would be on the air if every host had to know everything there was to know about ANY subject? Even I know that goose egg....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.