Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend at the club showed me his M1 find from a gun dealer the other day. I was looking it over and I see a typical CMP rack grade gun SA 2990888 or there abouts OK. Then I check the muzzle wear with the only thing I had a M2 round, swallows it up to the brass, look down the tube. Holy Moly whats this its got two concentric rings cut inside the barrel about one inch before the gas port. My question is has anyone ever seen this before and what could have caused it. I tried to take a picture of it but my camera won't focus enought to capture the image. At first look I thought someone had cut these grooves intentonally but on further inspection I think they happened through wear. It appers they must clamp the barrel in some tool about were they occured in order to put the splines on the end for the gas cylinder. What makes it sad is that this is an old Winchester barrel on a SA.
I advised him not to shoot this barrel at all and get it off there as soon as possible, I don't see how it could have shot very well at all anyway. It would be like shooting your bullet over a rough set of railroad tracks anyway instead of a mirror smooth barrel. TIA SS

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
An original Winchester barrel in just about any condition will sell for enough to buy a new Criterion barrel. There are guys out there that want Winchester barrels to do restorations that will never actually fire the rifles when they are completed.
:shocked:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts