Gun Hub Forums banner

tomd

955 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am relatively new to the site and new to gun modification/build. I have a 240 wby mag in MK 5 Ultralight that I would like to modify to a 6.5/284 Norma. Case diameter at the head is .473 on both calibers, Magazine length is long enough to allow the 6.5/284 round to fit plus a little extra - approx .15. I would like to extend the barrel length to 26".It currently has a fluted barrel -24'". I dont want to replace it with a fluted barrel because I would like the rifle to be a little heavier on the front end to improve the pointability of the rifle - it floats around too much for my tastes as it is right now. I am thinking 1 in 9" twist to shoot 140 gr. ELDX bullet. It will be a hunting rifle not a bench rifle, although I would like it to have the capability of shooting 1/2" MOA @ 250-300 yds. I am not sure what barrel manufacturer I would use, so many choices out there. Not interested in carbon fiber. I would have a gunsmith do the mods, I would like to have the trigger modified to a single stage set trigger as well. Can it be as simple as ordering a new barrel chambered in 6.5/284, having the gunsmith mount the barrel in the existing stock/action,square up the bore to bolt face and bed the barrel/recoil lugs ? Any advice or answers to my ?s would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Does that mean you think it will work ? I have always shot out of the box rifles. Am I headed in the right direction before I contact a gunsmith ? The gunsmith that I used for years to do bedding, trigger work etc.. retired and I am searching for a new one. I would like to know if I am on the right track with my idea before I have the new guy do the work. Thanks !

#4 ·
I'm no expert in this area, but I have read a lot.

I've heard good things about the ER Shaw Co barrels. They might not make the VERY best barrels in the bidness but I understand their barrels are darn fine, and are especially good values these days. You might want to contact them and discuss your plan. They are now building and marketing their own rifles, after years of installing their barrels, so you might even want to think about farming out your barrel and action work to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.