Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your trail gun? Is it a revolver or semi-auto? What caliber? What finish?

What do you carry in the great outdoors? What is your ideal?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Depend on where I am on the trail:

East Coast either a .44 Mag or .41 Mag Revolver with a 4 to 6 inch barrel.

Western States usually a .454 Casull

·
Registered
20 Posts
Favorite revolver = Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum.

Favorite auto = G21 w/ ported barrel, 24 lb recoil spring, firing .45 Super. (I'd use .450 SMC if I could find a place to buy them).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last season it was a Ruger SBH .44mag with 10.5" bull barrel. Had to use a shoulder holster so I could sit comfortable onthe ATV. I use "iron" sights. as well. recently picke upa bisley in ,45colt and it wil get the nod this year.
Whnever I am at camp you can always count on me having a 1911 straped on.

G

·
.45 lw Commander, and Smith 2214

I've never seen any point in wasting a big, noisy centerfire round when a .22 will suffice. The Smith weighs 18 ozs, the Commander 28 ozs, and the pair make for a very versatile combo. I like a hard cast, 160 gr swc in the .45, at about 1350 fps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D Don’t get out in the woods, much, anymore; but when I did I used to carry a Smith & Wesson Model 29-2 with an 8 3/8” barrel in a Safariland shoulder rig. I liked shooting this big revolver so much that I ended up with three of them. Our local gun club used to hold steel silhouette pistol matches on weekends; we would shoot our pistols all the way out to 200 yards. (I’ll never understand how we managed to hit anything at those distances; but we, often, did!)

Because, ‘boys will be boys’, sometimes, we played this game for money; and an interesting fact began to become apparent: (This is the first time I’ve admitted this; but, I’m no longer betting on a favorite shooter, anymore – so!) If two shooters who were, in all respects, equal to each other were squared-off, one with a Smith & Wesson 44 magnum, and the other with a Ruger 44 magnum, then, the shooter with the Smith was, at least, twice as likely to hit the far targets as the other guy with the Ruger. (Now, don’t get all upset; I’ll freely admit that Ruger has always built a stronger revolver than Smith – OK.) After witnessing this phenomenon a number of times, I formed the opinion that the shooter with the S & W enjoyed the advantage of a significantly better trigger pull with: less creep, less backlash, and cleaner let-off, than the Ruger shooter with his Blackhawk. (Granted inside 100 yards there was little, if any, difference in the scores; but after 100 yards the Smith’s cleaner, crisper trigger pull would begin to take a toll.)

The point of this post is, simply, this: If you’ve got two, equally talented, big bore shooters - one with an older, carbon steel S & W 44 mag., and the other with an older, ‘ordinance steel’ Ruger 44 mag. - going head-to-head at 100 yards, or better - PUT YOUR MONEY ON THE GUY WITH THE SMITH & WESSON. This way you’ll win more than you lose!

That’s, ‘Why’ I would, always, check if the Ruger shooter were using a, ‘stock gun’ before we started to play. Cheating, you say? Naaa … just a little Saturday afternoon fun at the range! Nobody lost anything like their house, the kids’ college tuition, or something like that – honest! By the way, there are a lot of really good buys on older Smith & Wesson, carbon steel revolvers around right now. They may have been, ‘cop guns’ or show a lot of holster wear; but I’ll, just, bet ya that there’s a lot of life left in these extraordinarily well-made old revolvers.

(PM me if you’re looking for a nice, old, vintage, 44 mag. Blackhawk. I’ve, still, got several around here, somewhere, for you to choose from!) :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tote a Ruger Bisly in .45 Colt, a Colt 1911 .45 ACP, a Smith .44 M-29 .44 Mag, or a Ruger Single Six .22 LR, it just depends on what I'm doing in the woods, if I'm hunting the Ruger .45, or Smith .44 is riding on my hip, if I'm cutting wood, the , I take my 1911, or my .22 and if I'm fishing I always pack my .22 LR

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Trail guns

Just plain out in the woods (East Coast, usually Appalachians or Blue Ridge):

S&W Mod 60, .357Mag, 3" bbl, adj. sights. 1st & 2d rounds up Speer 38/357 snake shot. 3d-5th rds are 38+P Blue nose Glazers. Speedloader with 5 357Mag HP. Strong side hip holster, usually Galco.

Out with any children who have an OK from their parents to shoot:
S&W Mod 63, .22LR, 4" bbl, adj sights, all .22LR HPs, and a full box or so of .22LRs of some variety. Strong side hip holster.

Out in suburban woods, where my Conceal Carry permit is OK: Sig 239 in 357Sig, or Sig 225 in 9mm, either with two extra mags. 1st 3 rds up are Glazer Safety Slugs. Rest of 1st magazine, and the other two mags are a good hollow point; I use light, high velocity, rounds.
Galco shoulder holster.

Today I had a great day with a bunch of shooting buddies. My "trail gun" happened to be a Sig 232, .380 cal., all stainless, night sights, 3rds Glazer up front, followed by four mags of HPs. Why? Because I hadn't shot it in a long time, magazines needed to be rested, & I prefer to unload the Navy way; through the muzzle. Had three other handguns, but only one rifle with me -- I was undergunned! The venison burgers were great, as was the company.

In all cases, day or night, SureFire flashlight is directly available to my weak hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hiking and canoeing S&W mod 60-4 3" barrel adjustable sights.
Walking and hunting S&W mod 586 4" Half lug, moonclipps
Town carry S&W 940 or 1911 or both

·
Registered
965 Posts
Blued Ruger Vaquero, 5.5" bbl, in Western rig.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My trail gun:
[IMG=left]http://www.madogre.com/images/ghill_rifle.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Showoff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trail for me is most likely out in the farm areas and such . 1911 style or K Frame most likely, whether I'm toting a shotgun bird hunting or not.

Course a Keltec P-11 makes an interesting trail gun when visiting a farmer and the groundhogs ...err...mis-behave. " Walk out over this a way with me"...Can't have the horses getting broken legs can we now. :wink:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Stainless Ruger Security/Service Sixes/GP100s in .357 Magnum. Silvertips (145), Gold Dots (158), Supreme Partition Gold (180).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts