A few comments from an old, but NOT bold, state/federal LEO of nearly 30 years police service.
1. We have over 80 federal agencies, which have sworn/armed police officers. - That's about 78 TOO MANY.
(We would do well to ABOLISH virtually all the federal agencies police departments & put every LEO under either the USMS or the Postal Inspectors, as those two agencies are mentioned IN the Constitution. - Fwiw, it makes ZERO difference what badge that a peace officer carries & what we currently have is a STUPID, WASTEFUL, difficult to control, MESS.)
2. All too many of the police of those agencies are NOT "professionals", are POORLY trained & therefore EXCEED THEIR AUTHORITY & make STUPID decisions, due to IGNORANCE of the laws, ARROGANT ignorance of the FACTS & "A desire to please the politicians".
3. All too many LEOs believe the politicians at the top of the agency are "demi-gods" & fail to question what they are directed to do. = Everyone should read/understand the late US Senator J. William Fulbright's classic book THE ARROGANCE OF POWER to see WHY so many members of the federal bureaucracy make such STUPID ERRORS in LE (and in NON-LE situations!) situations.
(While Fulbright's book is not about law enforcement, he was "dead on target" about the federal government's ARROGANCE.)
What causes so many errors, which cost LIVES is: "We have the power & therefore we can do whatever we want to do." = The MESS at Waco, which caused 2 BATFE agents to be KILLED, was the direct result of the "bosses" wanting a "really big show" on TV. - I had a friend, who was then a Texas Ranger, who offered to go quietly apprehend David Koresh about 12 hours before "THE MESS" started. - He was told, "Never mind, as we have already notified the press and "it's necessary to make a SPLASHY ARREST on TV, to make a point".
4. Training should be "at full speed" & as realistic as possible because "criminals don't do half speed". - YES, some people MAY (and likely WILL) get injured or even killed in realistic training, but that is the UNAVOIDABLE COST OF preparing people to cope with bad/dangerous situations.
(At USAMPS, we presume that 1% of students WILL be "moderately or severly injured" in training. - "Black Hats" try to prevent SEVERE injuries, but experience over 5 decades tell us that we WILL have some accidents in training MPs, MPI apprentices & CID agents. = Since 1960, USAMPS has had 4 DEATHS in training accidents.)
Note: I spent about 4 days in the hospital in 1969, as a result of being injured at USAMPS in MPOB Class 3-69. - Nonetheless, I believe that the training that I received then kept me ALIVE later.
5. The current mess that we have in government is a result of LIARS, FOOLS, ARROGANTLY IGNORANT LOONS, BIGOTS, race-BAITERS, IDIOTS & COMMON CRIMINALS in the current regime, starting with ZERO & trickling down to the junior WH staff & "Eric Holder's Department of IN-Justice".
(The entirity of BHO's regime needs to be investigated by a neutral, hard-nosed & honest SPECIAL PROSECUTER & any law-breakers should be apprehended, indicted, tried, convicted & sentenced to LONG terms of confinement in the federal penitentery system, as the regime appears to be LESS COMPETENT that Jimmy Carter's administration and LESS HONEST than Richard Nixon's "crowd of crooks, kooks & outright criminals". =======> Judge John Sirica, where are you when the USA needs your toughness, honesty & diligence? )
just my opinions, sw