Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new tumbler that will hold about 400 .38 special cases.
I want one that is both durable and fast polishing.
I have seen ones that vibrate and some that actually tumble the case, like a rock polisher.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I much prefer those that vibrate. FWIW: 400 cases is quite a few. Dillon's large on would surely do it but does take up a lot of space. I use the RCBS and probably do 2-300 at a time.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Charlie, is RCBS' tumble larger than Midway's? I'm using a Midway vibrating "tumbler" and think it does great. Of course my production is far smaller than that - normally 50 rounds of rifle brass at a time and with corn cob media. I read someplace, author unknown, heck it may have even been you, that vibrator types do a better and quicker job than true tumblers. I couldn't say one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I think they're about the same size.

I did a lot of work comparing types and dry vs. wet and can't really say one did a better job than another. I find the vibrating types more convenient. Nor can I say that there is much difference between walnut hulls or corncobs as media. But either type will work much faster with an additive such as Dillon's blue stuff.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think the Midway is the best bang for the buck right now. I think it will hold that many 38's. I have a Midway with about a half dozen different bowls for different chores. I also use a small Lyman for small batches that I work up from time to time. Vibratory is the way to go. Much, Much faster.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
David, I just looked up in the November Midway flyer and they have a Lyman Turbo Twin Tumbler on sale for $59.99. The part number is #286-322. This is a vibrator that is stated to hold 1200 38 sp. cases in the large bowl and comes with a 600 series bowl that holds about 600 38's. I don't know what the regular Midway will hold. I would guess about the same as the 1200 Lyman.
I would also take a look right here and see what Fernando has for sale.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charlie,
The 400 count is about what my wife and I use every other week. I have been using a friend's Lyman 1200 Turbo and it about fills it to the max.
I have checked manufacturer's web sites and only a few list capacity. None list motor size or speed. Hornady M2 states up to 500, which would do the job, as would the Dillon Large. Big difference in price, though.
I have not seen the Dillon. Any idea how much larger the Dillon is, space wise, than the Lyman 1200?
Joe, thanks for the lead on the Lyman Turbo. Sounds as if it is more than I need, but I might grow into it. I doubt if it would hurt performance to under fill as opposed to overfilling.
Fernando, nothing wrong with a 'deserved' plug, and from what I can see, the variety is overwhelming, for me anyway. Thank you.
Choices, choices.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I had one of the large Dillon units and it is at least twice as large in diameter. I have used the Midway unit and they're probably the best buy. although the RCBS seems to be sturdier.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check Berry's Manufacturing

I just got the Berry's tumbler, sieve, media and polish combo for about $90. You may want to give it a look.

Cheers,
Nemo

·
Registered
75 Posts
:D Love my RCBS Sidewinder! I have two barrels for it: One for dry polishing, and the other for wet. Needless to say I've got REALLY shiny brass! :wink:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess it must have been rude of me not to thank you all for your replies. For that, I do apologize.
I bought the Lyman Turbo 1200 Pro. I found it locally and it was among the lowest in price.
It works. It is fairly quiet, does hold 400 although the 'book' calls for 350. Not much to it, really. The machine just vibrates and agitates them like clothes in a washing machine. I use dry media, add some Dillon's polish, 3 hours later, they're done.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've been using one of the large Midway units since the early 90's, and have had no problems with it. It will hold close to 400 .45ACP cases.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have been using the same Ultra-Vibe 18 for longer than I can remember. I dump in a coffee can full of brass to polish at a time. The secret is in the corn cob media I use. I buy a 50 pound bag of #20 which is very fine from Coeval Inc. out of St. Joe IL. Add a little Dillon brass polish and it does a fantastic job.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree on the Ultra Vibe 18 I know have two of them and going to get rid of My RCBS Sidewinder still like new and a Like New Hornady M2 I myself wont own any other brass cleaner than a Ulta vibe but am still looking for a Ulta Vibe 24 if I can find one reasonaly priced

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have switched from using my Thumlers Tumbler rotary cleaner to using the Birchwood Casey Liquid only. Fill up the plastic tub with hot water and mix in the right amount on concentrate and let it sit for two or three minutes. Rinse and let dry. If I want to I finish cleaning them with the Lee shell holder for the hand drill with some #00 steel wool. I have noticed that I have less pressure when I full length size my 50 brass. Smoother maybe????

http://www.amback.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=49351

Terry

G

·
David Berkowitz said:
Any suggestions?
I have both. The first one I bought was Thumlers tumbler which is quiet and takes longer followed by a Thumlers case vibrator which is fast but makes more noise. The case tumbler came first and my loading activities backed up because even though it's pretty large for a tumbler it can only handle about 100 .308 cases at a time. I wanted to tumble rifle cases after full length sizing to remove the case lube. So I bought the case vibrator to clean and polish the spent cases and use the tumbler to remove case lube.

In the vibrator I use a mix of one part Lyman treated media to four or five parts plain walnut shell media and usually let the it vibrate the cases overnight. With fresh media the cases come out looking better then new. This unit will handle 150 .308 cases with room to spare so 400 .38 spl cases should not be a problem.

In the tumbler I use untreated corn cob media overnight to remove case lube.

http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts