Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please list your top three favorite, current or recent TV shows. (other than Justified, of course). I'm running out of material and need to try some new shows.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Criminal Minds
Hawaii Five-O
Blue Bloods
The Walking Dead
NCIS, NCIS LA, NCIS NEW ORLEANS
Person of Interest
C.S.I.

I know that's more than three, but I couldn't choose favs from among them -- and in fact they are not in any particular order.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Game of Thrones
The Americans
Walking Dead
Scandal
Nashville

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Agree with The Walking Dead, but I do suggest starting from the beginning of the series. I think you have to follow how the characters develop to really appreciate it. NetFlix has most if not all of them, Available on Amazon too, I think.

Game of Thrones is great, but again hard to start off in the middle. And it is HBO. The box sets of previous seasons are kind of pricey.

If your into the Super Hero genre, Arrow and The Flash, both on the CW channel are surprisingly good, and darker than one would expect for a comic book series.

I too enjoy the NCIS series of shows, and you can pick up reruns pretty easy on the USA network.

The wife and I just watched a new series last Tuesday called iZombie, which wasn't bad. Premise is a promising young doctor gets turned into a zombie, gets a job as an assistant ME in a morgue, where she gets her supply of brains to eat. Except when she eats them, she gets flashes of the deads memories, and helps to catch murderers. I know, I know, but it isn't badly done, doesn't take itself too seriously, and killed an hour pretty easily.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Two more:

Gotham is the origin of Batman and all the Batman villians (Bruce Wayne is about 12; his parents have just been murdered). Sounds stupid but it is surprisingly well done and interesting for network TV.

Dunno if you like comedies, but Modern Family is IMHO the best sitcom of all time. Stunningly well written, every character is a distinct personality and a gem. There's a lot of quick and very subtle stuff in there, too--I've now seen some of the reruns five and six times and I'm still finding new stuff to laugh at. (It might help that the Modern family is remarkably--almost eerily--like my own.)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
IrishCop said:
The wife and I just watched a new series last Tuesday callediZombie, which wasn't bad. Premise is a promising young doctor gets turned into a zombie, gets a job as an assistant ME in a morgue, where she gets her supply of brains to eat. Except when she eats them, she gets flashes of the reads memories, and helps to catch murderers.
Saw the TV adverts for it.
I wonder what Sheriff Rick Grimes of WALKING DEAD would do about a zombie superhero....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Saw the TV adverts for it.
I wonder what Sheriff Rick Grimes of WALKING DEAD would do about a zombie superhero....:rolleyes:
Hey, she walks, she talks and she isn't decomposing. And so far she isn't eating folks alive. What's not to like? :D

And a big plus one on Gotham. The guy playing Oswald Cobblepot AKA The Penguin should get an Emmy. No kidding.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
All of the above and 12 Monkeys, but as mentioned, better if you start at the beginning.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Game of Thrones is great, but again hard to start off in the middle. And it is HBO. The box sets of previous seasons are kind of pricey.
For a while just before the new season starts, HBO often puts all the previous seasons/episodes up on On Demand for a while so newbies can catch up. The new season starts next month, so they might be up there now.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys(keep them coming). We have watched GoT since the beginning and my wife and I and out two sons have all read all the books. We have also watched TWD since the beginning and my wife insists that we watch Talking Dead, immediately after each episode. We also watch Person of Interest and The Blacklist and sad-to-say, my wife's "supernatural" shows like Grimm, etc.

And we always start at the beginning, I can usually find the early episodes online.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Not really a series per-say but "True Detective" with Mathew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson was an excellent show!The dynamic between the actors/characters was really good with a dry humor.I personally am not a big fan of WH but found it a pleasure to watch 9 episodes.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The first episode of "Dig" seemed interesting.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys(keep them coming). We have watched GoT since the beginning and my wife and I and out two sons have all read all the books. We have also watched TWD since the beginning and my wife insists that we watch Talking Dead, immediately after each episode. We also watch Person of Interest and The Blacklist and sad-to-say, my wife's "supernatural" shows like Grimm, etc.

And we always start at the beginning, I can usually find the early episodes online.
I forgot GRIMM! Yea OK it's.... "wierd" but I like him. I sorta like the Blutbadt guy that befriended Nick. I recall seeing the actor who portrays him on an old episode of N3MBERS.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Not really a series per-say but "True Detective" with Mathew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson was an excellent show!The dynamic between the actors/characters was really good with a dry humor.I personally am not a big fan of WH but found it a pleasure to watch 9 episodes.
Agree completely. It was riveting television.

The other HBO series last spring--I think it was called The Leftovers or something like that--was also very, very good. Kinda supernatural, too.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
I forgot GRIMM! Yea OK it's.... "wierd" but I like him. I sorta like the Blutbadt guy that befriended Nick. I recall seeing the actor who portrays him on an old episode of N3MBERS.
Grimm's okay. I wouldn't put it in my First Tier of anything, but I always end up watching it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I've been watching a lot of Expedition Unknown and Mysteries at the Museum on Travel Channel. Other than that, mainly Food Network and Cooking Channel for me...

Oh, you mean "drama." LOL I'll just go back to my cooking show now... *backs away*

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Mountain Monsters is hilarious. These guys are always building elaborate traps which the monster always tears apart before they can get there. It gets old pretty fast though. Then there is The Legend Of The Superstitions. One episode of which showed the intrepid explorers struggling through the wilderness for hours only to find an indian medicine wheel on a ridge. They think it may have been put there by the dreaded Apache Black Legion to warn them off. A couple of days ago a fellow posted a video on You Tube that shows the medicine wheel is literally a stones throw from a paved forest service road. Oh well it's reality TV what do I expect.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Castle isn't too bad, either. Sometimes a little cheesy and facepalm-inducing, but...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts