Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first Rifle has been re-finished. All metal is re parked or re blued. As you can see the reciever has been parked and blued on the heel of reciever. The bullet guide , bolt lugs etc. have 'no' wear marks , the finish looks nice. The hand guard is birch I almost thought I had been sent a Greek by mistake.

The second Rifle looks like a rack grade. It's a got a '63 barrel and RAA on the stock. It looks like it has been used as a club of somesort, or a walking stick. The only reason , that I can see, for this to be a Service Grade , must be the "good" barrel.

http://www.msnusers.com/springfieldsa

·
Registered
741 Posts
You're kidding right?

The second one looks nice! I think you are looking at a silver repark...can't be sure from the pics but it doesn't look worn as there was no wear in the oprod track. The stock dings aren't that bad..I've seen worse on SGs before.

Looks like it's almost fresh from rebuild then took a beating while in the shipping boxes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: Really? I feel better then... :D I was really expecting something with a cartouche and lock bar sights....I guess my expectations were set a bit high...

You didn't like the first one???

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
reajoh said:
As you can see the reciever has been parked and blued on the heel of reciever.
That's not bluing. The heel of that receiver was annealed by dipping it in molten lead so it could be used to fire rifle grenades. This was before the valve-type gas plugs were developed.

I really like the lead dipped receivers & thought that one would clean up nicely. They both looked good to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So that heel would never take to re-parking? or was it dipped after the park? I guess it was done at the re-build? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
diffenet treatments to the same steel can cause different park colors, perhaps.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
reajoh said:
So that heel would never take to re-parking? or was it dipped after the park? I guess it was done at the re-build? Thanks for the reply.
It was done early in the war. The steel on the heel is just a different color now. The heel is parked, just like the rest of the receiver.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The second one looks alot like mine, I could not be hapier with mine. :lol: Some of the gouges are in the same place, must be the way they were shiped.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This place is GREAT! I feel much better about my new additions. Thanks for the replies! I just used that foaming copper/bore cleaner by Outers. It says it has no harsh chemicals and no amonia. Let me tell you, it brought out a ton of copper, at first , and a ton of 'dirt' after that. Sharp lands/grooves. Quite nice. If there is no rain Friday will shoot it at the range... :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quagmire said:
reajoh said:
It was done early in the war. The steel on the heel is just a different color now. The heel is parked, just like the rest of the receiver.
So., It's never going to take any treatment "evenly" in that area? I lean something new each time I visit, Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is a joke, right? What did you expect? The "blued" receiver is an annealed receiver. They dipped the heel in molten lead to keep it from cracking when the shot rifle grenades at baddies. It may have been reparked at rebuild, but it looks good. It will always have that darked shade regardless of whether you repark it.

Does the one have a WRA bolt? Looks like it. That, by itself is wroth $75 on the boards. Sell it, or trade it off for an SA and a GI stock that is more to your liking.

Your other is a six-digit SA. Understand that rifle saw about twenty years of service before rebuild. It was likely rebuilt in, you guessed it, 1963 at RRA.

Have you pulled them apart to see what else you got? Uncut op rod? IHS or WRA parts? Do the trigger groups match? What is the TE and ME? All of this is important. Show me a WRA op rod, and I'll show you an SA op rod PLUS a nice GI stock.

About the beat up wood, in a bunch of trips to the CMP North Store, it seems that they often trade off nice rifles with crappy wood and nice wood for crappy rifles. Just my theory. I hardly ever see lock bars any more. The are out there, but unless you are going for a "correct" Garand, who cares. The lock bars are a PITA anyways.

If you need more info on what you got, let us know. I think with some additional knowledge you will be very pleased.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
reajoh said:
So., It's never going to take any treatment "evenly" in that area? I lean something new each time I visit, Thanks.
It will always be darker there. Look at the center rifle in these pics:

click the pic for more images...

To me, nothing looks sharper than a green parked receiver with a lead dipped heel. I guess that's my ideal of Garand perfection. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got the birch stock that matches your rear and front handguard. If you would like to trade the birch handguards for the one's that would match your stock PM me :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No joke Capitan Emo. This is a message board where 'new' people can ask questions and nice and helpful knowledgeable persons , like yourself post answers...

The bolt is SA , on both rifles. They both have all springfield parts with the exception of the OP rods which are both HRA.

The six digit has a Springfield barrel '63 and the stock has RAA , from the re-build.

I dont know the TE/ME, I havent bought the gauges yet.

I've been entering what each rifle has on data sheets , I'll post 'em when they are completed. Thanks for all the help, again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will always be darker there. Look at the center rifle in these pics:

To me, nothing looks sharper than a green parked receiver with a lead dipped heel. I guess that's my ideal of Garand perfection. ;)[/quote]

Thanks I thought I had a problem. :oops:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Rack Grades don't have a "look", aside from possibly the wood. Here is what the CMP Description is:

Same as Service Grade above, except these rifles may have a gauged throat erosion of between 5 and 8 on a TE gauge or muzzle may show above normal wear or both. Bore may be pitted or have other deficiencies. Wood may show more use than Service Grade rifles.

With that description, I'd expcet to get metal that looked as good as on a Service Grade Rifle. Like they say, "Same as Service Grade above, except" and they mention bore and wood.

However, I've heard of the CMP trying to grade their rifles based on metal condition, ie, they send you a rusty one marked "rust", or something like that, and not following their grading criteria. That won't wash with me, and I won't order a rack grade via mail I know now to only pick a Rack Grade up at the CMP North Store. If they want to grade them based on metal condition, I say go ahead, but revise the grading criteria to include that, otherwise, grade them as the description above is written.

Danny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts