Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those deals I would not openly discuss just because folks would think I was nuts. Talking to a friend who also does a lot of pistol shooting and independently came to the same conclusion I did gave me the courage to bring the question to others.

When Unique changed to a "cleaner" powder I immediately went up to the local dealer and bought all of the old stuff he had. I had been using it for years and liked it for its accuracy.

When I decided to try the new stuff. I found it cleaner, but found accuracy a little less than the old powder and leading became a problem. I have varied the loads, but not quite equaled the accuracy with the older Unique.

I tend to believe that the fouling left in the bore by the old Unique may have in some way enhanced the bullet lube or acted as a lubricant itself.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Interesting... I did side by side comparison in a couple of cartridges and didn't notice a significant difference in accuracy but I did not do extensive testing either

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've actually used the two in 45ACP side by side and didn't find any accuracy difference, but I did find a substantial difference in cleanliness.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is often reported that each firearm is unique as to the reloads it likes, maybe this is a variable amoung many?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It is often reported that each firearm is unique as to the reloads it likes,
Well they are and they aren't...

In terms of cleanliness I don't think there would be any difference among guns and unless you were using a really well built gun I don't think you could see much difference in accuracy either... at least not in practical terms.

I'm a bit peculiar when talking about 1911s and accuracy because I think about nicely accurized guns and good ammo fired from the Ransom Rest. But I don't think the average shooter, and I include myself, can tell the difference between a gun that shoots 2" at 50 vs one that shoots 4" when shooting offhand.

My "standard .45 load is 4.0 gr. Titegroup with a 200 gr. LSWC and I have yet to see a gun that didn't shoot pretty well with it... excluding guns that didn't shoot anything very well... :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry - I was talking about a 45 long colt through a Smith & Wesson, but you are probably correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts