Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an AR15 today with a mystery upper reciever. The lower is bushmaster, which I realize doesn't really mean anything in upper identification. Anyway, here's a description. Its a flat top with a folding front sight which I sort of think may be removeable. 16" barrel, not a thin barrel, or M4 style barrel. No markings like caliber, twist rate, nothing like that. I called them tonight to see if anyone there might know what it is, and the guy said the only marking he was able to find was something that looked like an old fashioned keyhole. Any idea of who made that upper? Or why it'd not have any kind of manufacturer's marking? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
A google search took me about one minute to learn that the keyhole is the marking of Cerro Forge, which makes raw uppers for a number of AR manufacturers, including several of the better quality ones. Sounds like a good piece.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also searched that, and came up with cerro. I'm wondering about the barrel now, though. I read that the big names stamp their barrels and smaller companies don't. I don't know. It was on another forum, so I guess its worth what I paid for it. I'm just hoping it's a 5.56 chamber. That's what all of my ammo is...

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Cap'n Dex said:
I found an AR15 today with a mystery upper reciever. The lower is bushmaster, which I realize doesn't really mean anything in upper identification. Anyway, here's a description. Its a flat top with a folding front sight which I sort of think may be removeable. 16" barrel, not a thin barrel, or M4 style barrel. No markings like caliber, twist rate, nothing like that. I called them tonight to see if anyone there might know what it is, and the guy said the only marking he was able to find was something that looked like an old fashioned keyhole. Any idea of who made that upper? Or why it'd not have any kind of manufacturer's marking? Thanks.
My Bushie M4orgery has that marking on the upper. OTOH the barrel is not the same & has markings. The upper must be one commonly used by Bushmaster, and others.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently, they make uppers for most of the companies out there. I also have a bushmaster, but never really bothered looking for any other symbols, or stampings. I bought it new. :D Silly question, this other rifle wouldn't be chambered in .223 and not 5.56, would it? Is there a company out there doing something silly like that? I'm thinkin I'm going to trade in or sell my rifle and buy this one because mine is losing its accuracy. I don't want to trade down. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No longer a mystery. Its a Model 1 Sales upper. From what I gather, they build upper halves using Cerro Forge upper recievers, and E.R. Shaw barrels, which the general opinion of those barrels is favorable. I put the gun on layaway last night. The upper locks tight with the lower, and its pretty light. I think this one will be my "CQB" carbine, and I'll just stick an economically priced folding rear sight on it to match the folding front sight. probably won't be a bad little blaster for the money. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts