·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Even this one? Oh, the humanity! :eek:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
DavidE; Snake45; All,

My late father, of USAAF Bomber CMD, EUR would have said that the senior flag officers of the successor to his old armed service have become EUNUCHS, to even consider complying with such a STUPID directive from some faceless bureaucrat.

He would have counseled them to say: NO. and leave the answer as simple as that.
(In my 28 years wearing a uniform,I found that a simple NO is frequently the most effective answer to end the discussion.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The older I get, the more stupid our "leaders?" get.....Oh well, do we have any more morale busters?

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
We live in different times. Women are everywhere in the work place, and they don’t like it and I don’t see why they should have to just learn to like it. So either we make male only work places, bar women from serving in the military or most any other workplace; or the men just have to grow up when in the work place.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

Shortly before I retired, an Armor 2LT was "called on the carpet" by a senior COL/0-6 for "fostering a hostile work environment". - His "sin"????

He had FOUR PHOTOS on his office desk of his bride on their honeymoon. - "The Complainer" said that, "She's showing too much cleavage in that evening dress."
(One might also inquire what exactly that she was doing on HIS side of his desk. = Don't come behind my desk W/O asking!)

We need to tell all "the offended", "the complainers", etc (once and for all): GROW UP, SHUT UP and LEAVE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

I, for just one old soldier who paid my dues, is SICK TO DEATH of this NONSENSE.

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson; all,

We could also do DoD-wide what the USA MILITARY POLICE has done since we opened the Corps to women long ago.
(The MP Corps has the LARGEST percentage of females of any Combat Support branch. - Some 19-77H Companies, the combat MPs, have as much as 55% females. We treat both genders exactly the same & most neither expect/ask/receive for LESS than EQUAL treatment.)

When I was stationed at Ft Drum, 10th Mountain Div MP Co was popularly known as, "Tomboy Central." - MPs tend to be "just a bit arrogant" but 82ABN & Light Division MPs of either gender "give new meaning to": ARROGANT.
(Truthfully, "MP country" at Drum was well-known as a POOR place to get a date & a WORSE place to "smart off".)

When our young women/men arrive at One Station Unit Training (MPs don't go to Basic.),
they get THE SPEECH (When I was "permanent party" at USAMPS, CSM Slyvia Eugenia D__________ made THE SPEECH.), shortly after they get their paperwork completed, shots,uniforms, etc., which covers the following:
1. You are a VOLUNTEER. We did NOT ask you to be here; instead you ASKED to be here.
2. As all of us are volunteers, we Black-hats will NOT feel sorry for you for working extremely long hours without baths, hot chow, clean clothes, sleep and/or other creature comforts, which most GIs expect to receive.
3. Every MP is your sister or brother. Starting tonight after chow, we will assign you your first PARTNER. Your first responsibility to to PROTECT & SUPPORT your partner, as you may be frequently have nobody else to depend on for days at a time.
4. Starting TODAY, learn to:
a. steal sleep wherever/whenever you can, as you will NEVER get enough.= ONE sleep & ONE keep watch is the solution.
b. develop a private stash of chow, in case that you cannot get any from the army.
c. figure out a way to always haul at least a minimal about of dry underclothes/socks/comfort items.
(Most veteran MPs have a "jump bag", that is always in their vehicle, with their "essentials". - Ask a Blackhat for advice, when you & your partner have time.)
d. an extra loaded magazine for each of your weapons, in a foreign hotspot, may save your LIFE; extra ammo goes into your "jump bag".
ETC, ETC, ETC.

Folks, there's a LOT more to THE SPEECH but it all comes down to this: NOBODY cares if you are "uncomfortable", "offended" and/or "don't like something", when so many other servicemembers have it far worse.
AND
accomplish the mission or GET OUT & do something that you are better suited for than military service.

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

Shortly before I retired, an Armor 2LT was "called on the carpet" by a senior COL/0-6 for "fostering a hostile work environment". - His "sin"????

He had FOUR PHOTOS on his office desk of his bride on their honeymoon. - "The Complainer" said that, "She's showing too much cleavage in that evening dress."
(One might also inquire what exactly that she was doing on HIS side of his desk. = Don't come behind my desk W/O asking!)

We need to tell all "the offended", "the complainers", etc (once and for all): GROW UP, SHUT UP and LEAVE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

I, for just one old soldier who paid my dues, is SICK TO DEATH of this NONSENSE.

yours, sw
Clearly that was a case where the offended needed to be told to get over it.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Kevin Gibson; all,

We could also do DoD-wide what the USA MILITARY POLICE has done since we opened the Corps to women long ago.
(The MP Corps has the LARGEST percentage of females of any Combat Support branch. - Some 19-77H Companies, the combat MPs, have as much as 55% females. We treat both genders exactly the same & most neither expect/ask/receive for LESS than EQUAL treatment.)

When I was stationed at Ft Drum, 10th Mountain Div MP Co was popularly known as, "Tomboy Central." - MPs tend to be "just a bit arrogant" but 82ABN & Light Division MPs of either gender "give new meaning to": ARROGANT.
(Truthfully, "MP country" at Drum was well-known as a POOR place to get a date & a WORSE place to "smart off".)

When our young women/men arrive at One Station Unit Training (MPs don't go to Basic.),
they get THE SPEECH (When I was "permanent party" at USAMPS, CSM Slyvia Eugenia D__________ made THE SPEECH.), shortly after they get their paperwork completed, shots,uniforms, etc., which covers the following:
1. You are a VOLUNTEER. We did NOT ask you to be here; instead you ASKED to be here.
2. As all of us are volunteers, we Black-hats will NOT feel sorry for you for working extremely long hours without baths, hot chow, clean clothes, sleep and/or other creature comforts, which most GIs expect to receive.
3. Every MP is your sister or brother. Starting tonight after chow, we will assign you your first PARTNER. Your first responsibility to to PROTECT & SUPPORT your partner, as you may be frequently have nobody else to depend on for days at a time.
4. Starting TODAY, learn to:
a. steal sleep wherever/whenever you can, as you will NEVER get enough.= ONE sleep & ONE keep watch is the solution.
b. develop a private stash of chow, in case that you cannot get any from the army.
c. figure out a way to always haul at least a minimal about of dry underclothes/socks/comfort items.
(Most veteran MPs have a "jump bag", that is always in their vehicle, with their "essentials". - Ask a Blackhat for advice, when you & your partner have time.)
d. an extra loaded magazine for each of your weapons, in a foreign hotspot, may save your LIFE; extra ammo goes into your "jump bag".
ETC, ETC, ETC.

Folks, there's a LOT more to THE SPEECH but it all comes down to this: NOBODY cares if you are "uncomfortable", "offended" and/or "don't like something", when so many other servicemembers have it far worse.
AND
accomplish the mission or GET OUT & do something that you are better suited for than military service.

yours, sw
Sounds like good practical advice. But my point was that the US Armed Forces are not a men's club. If it's turned back into a Men's Club, then there's nothing wrong with girlie pics in the work place. But since we do have women in the ranks, we have to recognize that it's not a male only workplace. I see absolutely no reason why women should have to tolerate such things in ANY workplace. Now if they INVADE someone elses workplace, and they happen to have girlie pics, then the women will just have to suck it up, pack up all the prisoners and trump them into custody. Once we have properly taken over said invaded workplace, then we can sanitize it to US Military Specification.

If not having girlie picks in your workplace somehow offends your sensibilities; then who said your offense is more important than the woman's?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
At first glance of the headline, I did a "sheesh!" to myself. But after reading the article, I don't see what everyone (except Kevin) is so upset about. I was a USAF SP from 1975 until 1989 and a Training and Education NCO from 1989 to 1992. I NEVER saw a "girlie" picture in the workplace...that was just not acceptable, even back then. I thought they were talking about barracks lockers and such. Now I will freely admit that you could usually find some adult reading material stashed on various posts or in patrol vehicles, something to break up the monotony on a long midnight shift. But they were kept "hidden" and the photos were never displayed on office walls or even barracks walls. Pinups, if posted, were usually on the inside of our lockers, and nobody complained about those.

I think Kevin is right here. I don't think my wife or daughters ought to be forced to see that stuff in their workplace, unless they choose to work for Playboy or Penthouse or something like that. They didn't. (Dammit! Employee benefits coulda rocked!)

Hey, don't want to see any beefcake photos either. The ladies (or guys so inclined...it is 2012 after all) can keep that stuff put up, too.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson; IrishCop,

In my experience, what "the complainers" are offended about are rather ordinary photos of women, who are more more attractive than the "offendeds".

Irish, i AGREE with you. - I haven't personally seen any "girly photos" from PLAYBOY or anything similar in the workplace, since well before Desert Strorm.
Now what the complaints are about are things like the photos of the 2LT wife OR the autographed (VietNam era) photo of ANN MARGARET (It reads: With Love to my MPs, Ann), that the last time I was there was still framed on the wall in the MP break-room at Ft Hood.

Some people, imVho, just walk around LOOKING to BE offended.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hey guys, if you are not a deeply offended and abused minority, why socially you are nothing at all.

Geoff
Who is morally outraged by Polish Jokes...even though my ancestors were German speakers from what is now Poland.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Skeptic49,

You sound as cynical as the rest of us expierienced OF.
(CHUCKLE.)

btw, the glamour photo of ANN MARGARET once hung in The Top-5 Club at HQ, 18th MP Bde.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We live in different times. Women are everywhere in the work place, and they don't like it and I don't see why they should have to just learn to like it. So either we make male only work places, bar women from serving in the military or most any other workplace; or the men just have to grow up when in the work place.
Call me crazy but, yeah, I can see it Kevin. Guess it's just a sign of different times.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

That comment may well qualify as the understatement of the week.
(CHUCKLE. - All of us RVN folk ADORED Ann Margaret & she, even now, calls the RVN vets, "MY Guys".)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
tstar,

a popular sign in 18th MP country was: I'm not too fonda Traitor Jane.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Kevin Gibson,

That comment may well qualify as the understatement of the week.
(CHUCKLE. - All of us RVN folk ADORED Ann Margaret & she, even now, calls the RVN vets, "MY Guys".)

yours, sw
Ahhhhhh! Ann-Margaret! She was sex personified. As a pre-pubescent male in the early and mid 60's, she was hypnotic. I couldn't take my eyes off of her...I just couldn't quite figure out why back then. ;)

In the late 60's, it was Joey Heatherton. Damn. Why the hell is my mouth watering?

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
IrishCop,

With ANN MARGARET it was FAR more than just a sex object or a "pinup" for most of us. - At a time and place far, far away, she was "the girl next door" (or at least who we wished was next door) who openly said that she LOVED us all, when so many back home so obviously HATED us for being IN THE MESS.
YES, in some sort of collective way I believe that she DID/DOES love all her "guys".
(Nobody else went to the dangerous places in Indian Country that she visited like Firebases Tiger and Leopard, where"the brass" feared to visit. She sat with guys that were "shot to hell" in sickbay, walked the perimeters with GIs and did lots of other things that NOBODY else did. ====> YEP we loved her.)

NOTE: Until/UNLESS you have counseled a GI serving "over there" about all of his friends and most of his family, who sent his letters back marked "REFUSED", it's difficult now to try and explain about how much one lovely American woman's CARING meant to everyone.

yours, sw

1 - 20 of 24 Posts