Gun Hub Forums banner

Use a .275 Rigby for this you think?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Daniel Watters 
#1 ·
Wooly Mammoth Filmed in Siberia. Is it time to dust off W.D.M. Bell's .275?

'Woolly mammoth' spotted in Siberia | The Sun |News
This is either a hoax, or a Brown Bear with a large fish in its mouth. But it sure would be incredible if it really was true.

#2 ·
Vote bear, the closeup version makes it more apparent..

#3 ·
:cluebat:

Bear with fish. As William Moore said it's clearer in the close-up.
No one knows how to focus video cameras after .... how many years have they been available?:duh:

#4 ·
Bear and I bet this is more video that would support that once he hit the other side of the river.At first I thought elephant by the front shoulder position but the trunk is a different color because it's a fish the bear is trying to keep out of the water.

#10 ·
The .416 Remington was one of the most problematic rounds Remington ever had for the first 6-7 years of its life. Right off the bat, many complained that it didn't hit with anywhere near the authority of the .416 Rigby, which it was supposed to have duplicated the Rigby's ballistics. Well, it turned out that the .416 Remington was prone to pressure spikes, so it was down loaded with the expectation it would be used in the very hot Africa sun. Several .416 Remington's were chronographed moving around 1,200-1,400fps rather than the 2250 they were supposed to produce. This was produced by a two fold issue of down loading and powders expanding in the heat, and pushing the bullets far beyond their crimp which lowered chamber pressure considerably. Another problem with the powder expansion was bullets not only moving past their crimp, but actually pushing all the way out of the cartridge while in someone's pocket.

Finally, Remington came across some powders that truly did achieve Rigby velocities without requiring "special" loading techniques (early .416 ammo, if you were to pull the bullet and dump the powder, you wouldn't be able to get it all back into the same case again). .416 Remington is stable, consistent and reliable now; but MAN did it have its teething problems. The .458 Winchester had many of the very same issues when it first came out. So much so that Jack Lott created the .458 Lott specifically to deal with all the issues the Winchester cartridge had. The funny thing is, the .458 Lott is probably more popular now than ever before…and now there really no longer exists a true need for the Lott since the Winchester .458 is very much a perfected cartridge.

#13 ·
to all,

make my "dangerous game rifle" a "modified" Browning Automatic Rifle in .400 Brown-Whelen Improved. =====> the .400BWI will competently take elephants, cape buffalo & other BIG game, W/O "beating you to death", out of a gas-operated/modified BAR & loaded with Barnes SOLIDS or JSP will cost about 50 cents a round. - the equivilent & well-regarded in Africa .404 Jeffery's costs over 12x as much per round & cannot be reloaded for less than 2.oo a round.
(fyi, i'm "negotiating" for a 30.06 BAR with a TRASHED barrel, for CHEAP. - it will, if i get it, wear a new blackened Shilen tube in around .70 muzzle diameter.)

yours, sw

#15 · (Edited)
to all,

btw, the .400B-W Imp shoots GC linotype RN cast bullets VERY well & that bullet with shoot clear through a BIG bear or elk/moose or other similar game for 25 cents per round & equal to the OLD loading for the .404 Jeffery's. = pardon me, but that is CHEAP big-bore shooting & about all you can expect from 30.06 brass & a standard length action.

yours, sw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.