Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a 16 usgi 1905 bayonet for $75.

It was made by Union Fork and Hoe
Dated 1942
Flaming bomb with flames spread apart slightly
Rounded, non pointed tip - Not altered or sharpened in any way.
Not a reweld, Not a repro.
Black plastic grips
Slight rust

I talked with the guy and he states that it is the real deal. It is in good condition and does have some "surface rust" to it. It is not pitted at all according to him.

Does all the above info sound correct? He will give me a 3 day 100% money back inspection.

Any comments? I thought I would take a chance............

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing why the guy is willing to part with an original for around the price of a repro, if it were me...

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would buy it.........if it is a real 1905 you made out real good like a fat rat in a cheese factory......if it's a repo then you really didn't get taken because the price is the same for one.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
unless its stolen, or used to commit a murder... :lol:

but either way, or neither way, I"d probably buy it. the repro's ain't so great. So if you could get an original, I would!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was under the impression that the 16's were originally issued with wood grips, but i tend to be wrong about these things. Real or Repro, $75 for an uncut 16 is about the cheapest i've heard of. I'd say buy it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on ebay for higher guaranteed.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Dm1 said:
I was under the impression that the 16's were originally issued with wood grips, but i tend to be wrong about these things.
no you are right.......the very early ones had wood grips on them, for the 1903, during WWI....... during the early part of the part of WW2, they made them with plastic grips.......but it was not uncommon for the stock pile of early M1905s to be issued as well.......later they cut a lot of those earlier M1905s down to 10 inches, replaced the wood handle with plastic, later they just stopped making the 16inch bayonets all together in favor of the 10 inch bayonets....... for one reason to save on steel.....and the other reason for ease of taking them out of the scabbards that was attached to the backpack of the day. if you ever tried to take out a 16 inches bayonet from it's scabbard that was attached to the backpack you know what I mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bayonet question: I have a 16" bayonet I bought at an Army/Navy store in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, in the mid-1950s. Plastic handgrips, composition scabbard, all unused. I gather these now have some value; can anyone give me a range of value?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Louis,

I have heard they are selling for around $75.
But I would be more than happy to give you $80 sight unseen!
:D

Maddevildog

·
Registered
914 Posts
Louis said:
Bayonet question: I have a 16" bayonet I bought at an Army/Navy store in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, in the mid-1950s. Plastic handgrips, composition scabbard, all unused. I gather these now have some value; can anyone give me a range of value?
you're looking at anywere in the 225-275 dollar range........275 being a prestine one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get this, years ago i order a set of plastic 1903 grips from Sarco and they sent me a new condition 1903 bayonet and scabbard !! boy did i feel like the fat rat in the cheese factory :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does it look anything like this ?
[IMG=left]http://hunt101.com/img/250313.jpg[/IMG]
Mine is also stamps UF&H with the bomb burst and dated 1942
I think I paid $60 for it 3 years ago at a gun show.
How much are they worth now ?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
JBMI,
What you have goes for $250.00 to $275.00 at the gun shows here in northern Ohio.
It's funny in a way. We have the CMP north store right here in north central Ohio, so that keeps the gun show prices on M1's somewhat reasonable. But as we all know the CMP does not sell bayonets and the prices at the gun shows around here are what I would call out of control. Makes you wonder what will happen when the CMP announces that they have sold the last of their M1's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

The guy emailed me back after cashing my check and told me that "sorry, my partner already sold it."

Crap!

Told him to ship me one now, or I want my money back.

Too good to be true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts