Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have 2 different kinds of GI bore cleaner. The newer of the 2 is in small plastic bottles. I assume these are Viet-Nam Era stuff looks like oil.
The others are in 6oz metal cans and is milky looking. Was this the norm for the older stuff ??? :roll: Is it still good to use for corrisive ammo ??? :?
I like the newer oily cleaner to use at the range for a quick clean until I get home to do a good clean-up. The small plastic bottles are good to carry in the range box.
Anyone else use the milky stuff ??? :? :? :?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
It didn't use to be milky. I'll assume that some water got into it. It was a brownish-red fluid. Be advised that it's TOXIC. Use with gloves, and in a well-ventilated area. This stuff hasn't been bought by the military since the mid-50s. It will remove corrosive salts, though. :shock:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I love the old stuff in the green cans. I use it anytime I shoot corosive ammo and it works great. No need to use water first when using it. It don't do much for copper removal but it sure cleans powder residue very well. Like JR said it sounds like your got water in it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Milky Bore cleaner

JR said:
It didn't use to be milky. I'll assume that some water got into it. It was a brownish-red fluid. Be advised that it's TOXIC. Use with gloves, and in a well-ventilated area. This stuff hasn't been bought by the military since the mid-50s. It will remove corrosive salts, though. :shock:
The oldest formulation of bore cleaner was the ammonium persulphate formulation (an excellent copper cleaner) which had a reputation of being the "evil smelling brown sh*t"

It was superceded by the milky stuff which is a vietnam era recipe. That's the way it's supposed to be. It was milky.

Personally I prefer Ed's Red-

one lister added strong ammonia to it to be a copper solvent and he calls it Ed's PINK.

For that purpose I prefer Mpro7, but as a cast bullet shooter mainly I can get by with Ed's red.

Yodar

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
Yodar, I was in Vietnam in 1966, and we used a clear liquid cleaner. At the armory, they still had the older reddish-brown, toxic cleaner from the fifities. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
In VN and the whole era I used LSA and bore cleaner. The bore cleaner was a awful smelling stuff and we had it in the Reserve armories when I got home.

·
Registered
61 Posts
JR said:
Yodar, I was in Vietnam in 1966, and we used a clear liquid cleaner. At the armory, they still had the older reddish-brown, toxic cleaner from the fifities. :D
You are NOT allowed to be issued evil smelling brown GI bore cleaner if you are married. It will 86 both a carpet and a marriage in a second! However it IS an excellent arsenal formulation for removing copper and dissolving KCl

I still prefer Ed's Red (smells NICE) and the stains wash out

I am divorced

Yodar

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The VN era plastic bottled stuff I have smells pretty good. Somewhere near Hoppes color only thicker/oilier. Not milky either. LSA is though, but I don't like how LSA seems to dry up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts