Gun Hub Forums banner

Velocity specs, .45ACP

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SpecialEd 
#1 ·
What is the milspec velocity for the .45ACP 230 gr. FMJ? The few I've chronoed come in at around 750 fps, but I've heard that the standard is 825-850 fps. So what IS it?

#5 ·
Actually I just did some comparisons shooting the same 230 gr. ball ammo in 5 different pistols. The velocity ranged from 812 to 873 fps.

Interestingly that is about a 7% variation and I seem to recall hearing that the .45 GAP "trounced" the ACP by... wasn't it 7%???

Why is that? :p

#6 ·
Charlie, roughly how much do you lose when going to a 4" or Commander size barrel?

Thanks,

Ed

P.S. I'm not asking you to run back out and test them I'm just interested in ballpark figure off the top of your head.

#7 ·
Actually I had two Commander 4.25" barrels also. The difference was 50-75 fps or about 8%.

Do you see a theme emerging here? If we have a 7% difference from high to lowand add another point for the 3/4" of barrel. For practical purposes it don't mean doodly. Do not get fixated on numbers or small differences because there are so many possible variations among guns and ammo that ,unless the sample is really big ,we can't say a difference- let's say 10% for the hell of it- may be nothing more than random wandering of numbers.

For example the two Commanders averaged 766 and 812 with ammo from the same box. Which one is RIGHT???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.