Gunhub.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching Verona shotguns and I smell a skunk. They are made in Turkey and Italy -- but, advertised as being Italian.

I have posted the information I have on my website for those who are interested -- http://www.firearmbuzz.com.

We live in interesting times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello??

I think the Varona Shotgun story is explosive! Guns advertised to be Italian but made in Turkey.

Do any of you have an opinion? Isn't this the kind of thing we want to discuss on this forum?

Let me know.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Dean is currently away with Gaston Glock on Gaston's island retreat, Speir Island. When Dean gets back Sunday, I'm sure he'll have some comments about the shotgun origination issue.

Upon visiting your site what got my attention more were the links to Gunbroker.com, Cheaperthandirt.com, Cabelas.com, Remington.com, Taser International, Numrich Gun Parts, Verona Shotguns, and Gander Mountain but nothing to AmBack, AmBack Forum, AmBack Journal or The Gun Zone. :(

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Looking a little further, The Gun Zone would fit nicely in "Information and Resources". So would the Forum and Journal. The AmBack Store would fit in the "Hunting & Shooting" area.

RI... anywhere near Newport?

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Fernando said:
Dean is currently away with Gaston Glock on Gaston's island retreat, Speir Island.
Actually I was on the phone today with Mike LaRocca inquiring about my guns, and he mentioned that Dean-o was coming to his area for a wedding and was stopping by Mike's.
Mike

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Red,

I read your review and a few thoughts immediatly come to mind. The first would be - Have you not heard of outsourcing?? You make it sound in your review that something nefarious is happening and that there is a conspiracy taking place This is regularly done in most business's including firearms. This is not a new thing either. Sears and Roebuck never manufactured a single firearm, yet there are TONS of guns that were sold under that name. Heck, Radio Shack is the king of outsourcing!! They contract with manufacturers to produce items with their nameplate and to their specifications.

I am sure that Dean and others will chime in on this when they get a chance. But I can add that I have sold quite a few Turkish shotguns (Tristar adn Khan) and have never had a complaint and the ones I have handled personally have appeared to be of good workmanship and quality.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,756 Posts
Charles Daly High Powers say "Made in USA" even though they are Hungarian parts that are assembled in the USA by Dan Wesson. I heard the Charles Daly 45's said Made in USA also and I thought they were and Armscorp product from the Philippines, but I'm not quite sure on that one.

It might be a bit sneaky but it appears to be within the law.

Ed

Red that's a beautiful GR you have for an avatar. Is that your dog?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a problem with sourcing guns from Turkey, China or anywhere else. I do have a problem with advertising that guns are made by Italian master craftsmen...implying that they are of the highest Italian quality...when, in fact they are being made in a different country.

Some of the best shotguns in the world are made in Italy. I can understand BC Outdoors desire to grab a little of that reputation! But, the fact remains that it is nice to know what you are buying when you're shelling out hundreds of dollars.

Also, when I sent a polite inquiry, it would have been nice to get a response.

Nevertheless, as I said in the review, most of what I read about Verona Shotguns, largely from forums like this one, is positive. -- high value for money.

Finally, I am adding a new category on my website -- Gun Forums -- which will be available within a week. While I mention The Gun Zone in my write-up of Your American Backyard -- I think it does deserve more attention.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I am not familiar with the infamous Dean (I'm a newbie ), I look forward to his sage comments...although the waiting is getting a bit long. Should we start a new thread?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Patience in all things, Red…

Do I like it that A-O, when it was still based in West Hurley, advised that its Models 1911 were "Made In America" (big yellow sticker on the plastic gun case) when in fact the slides and frames were investment cast in Spain. A-O's hedge was that they were, at that time, machined in Vermont and assembled in New York. I pulled their pants down about it, and they went right on doing it.

Not all shotguns manufactured in Italy are top-line, "Old World" sporting pieces… one of the worst POS smoothbores I've ever seen, marketed here as, among other things, the Sile single shot, came straight out of the Brescia Valley. Sucker regularly discharged upon opening the action if the line was called and our friend the Ol' Sarge was still armed. (We all learned a great deal about the value of Cooper's Codified Four Rules of Firearms Safety back then, and the biggest hit anyone ever took was Ol' Sarge had to pick up a couple of laundry bills.)

And I've seen some fine pieces, certainly knock-offs of Italian designs, come out of everywhere from Spain to the former Yugoslavia. (I won't mention Japan, because that's not the opprobrius connotation it once was.… the Philipines and mainland China are another story.)

So no, in answer to your original inquiry, I don't like misrepresentation of any sort. Flying false colors is bad form in any business or discipline. Which neatly segues into…

In regards "your site," pretty professional-looking for a retired 'smith cum wood-butcher. What's up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In response to Dean...

My son is in the web business and in return for a small infusion of capital (very small) has provided me with a toy in my retirement.

I'm retired, but love the challenge of anything new...the internet is today's wild, wild west. So, here I am.

I have a few advertisors like the rest of the world -- same ones -- gunbroker, et. al. -- but making no money and caring less. I'm more interested in actually providing a site that gives honest evaluations of what's out there on the net.

I got involved in this when I tried to find information on Burnside Carbines and wasted days (finally bought a book).

If you spot something on the site that is just not right or sends the wrong message, let me know and I will fix it.

As for Verona -- I appreciate your comments. I agree with everything you say, except I (perhaps) get more riled by misrepresentation. My wife keeps telling me to settle down. Oh well.

Finally -- will, at a minimum, provide a link to to this forum...and, pending the result of my review, may highlight it in a directory or a review. That remains to be seen.

Best regards to you all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts