Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be very, very interested in aviation and planes, especially war planes. Very sad story of the F-22 came 'across the wire' within the past hour. I just read the article, and was intrigued by that quote referenced in the subject line. I've heard of that, but didn't know protocols such as those still applied. Wonder what its true top speed is. I'll bet Ol' Snake P-51 can give us some Eye Deers.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/17/ai ... ng-alaska/

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I hope they find the pilot OK.

The mach speed the F-22 pegs out at may be confidential ... if you wanna know I bet the Russkies have a very good idea of what it is .... :ek: :shocked: :ek: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
814 Posts
All my aviation knowledge is either theoretical/academic, or concerned with not getting arrested by TSA for being a smart-ass.

Why would a crash site be a haz-mat scene?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
if the plane was smoldering, and they use advanced composites in the construction. Other possibles are advanced hydraulic fluids that remain fluid at both very low and very high temps, if they are burning or perhaps spread around?

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for the sake of my own curiosity, anyone care to take a guess at the top speed of the F-22? Mach III? IV? 3.1416? Hee, heee!!!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
From what I understand, its not that much different than a F 15. Buddy's kid flies strike eagles and he said biggest difference was the efficiency. where as the F15 has to be in burner, and thus guzzling fuel to be mach +, the F22 will do mach 1.x on regular thrust. This cuts its heat signature and its fuel consumption a whole lot.

IIRC, the F22 will go twice as far if not further, than a F15 when traveling at supersonic speeds. All because it does not need afterburner to get there.

F15 will do some things better according to kid, like hauling the big loads, but his feelings are that carrying big loads is becoming less necessary due to impressive increases in accuracy just in the past couple of years. Whereas you needed a 2k Pdr to kill a target in the past, when you are able to fly the bomb right into a window or airduct, or hit the exact pylon on a bridge or a single guy walking in the woods, 200 pounds will do the work of 2000, and with the stealth, you can drop the bomb and be on the way home, ordering dinner, before anyone even knew you were around. He talked about them dropping a weapon on some guy driving a moped in a country we are not at war with, and the guy on the ground able to more or less, fly the bomb right into the guy. The weapon did not go off, but they had a direct hit on the guy with the casing, more or less, killing him with a cast iron bullet dropped from 60K feet, 20 miles away.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The ultimate US of A weapon is not the Fusion Bomb, it is a 250 lb bomb casing filled with concrete and delivered to a point target half a meter in diameter.

As for "top speed" it is irrelevant. The top speed of the F-104 Starfighter of my youth was over Mach 2...over the airfield it launched from and returned to immediately because it was out of internal fuel. External fuel tanks limited the speed to around Mach 1.4, but they hardly ever went supersonic.

I'm worried that the pilot hasn't activated his emergency locator transmitter.

Geoff
Who knows the more they over think the plumbing the easier it is to stuff up the drain.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
Why would a crash site be a haz-mat scene?
Almost everything is a hazmat scene these days. Or claimed to be. :ehsmile:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
guntotin_fool said:
He talked about them dropping a weapon on some guy driving a moped in a country we are not at war with, and the guy on the ground able to more or less, fly the bomb right into the guy. The weapon did not go off, but they had a direct hit on the guy with the casing, more or less, killing him with a cast iron bullet dropped from 60K feet, 20 miles away.
:ek: Uh, we killed someone with whom we're not at war? Surely you meant " ... we ARE at war with ..." :wink:

·
Registered
814 Posts
The guy, yes. the country he happened to be in at that particular moment, no.

But then again, we're such peaceable, friendly folks, that we aren't really at war with anyone or any country.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
For political purposes, activities which might or might not take place using manned aircraft are often "blamed" or credited to a drone. Such is not always the case. The F22 and the strike eagle both use a class of weapons determined to be "Stand Off". The JSOW is but one. The newer varieties of the SDB are others. Some have glide ratios of 25 or more to one. That means if dropped at 10K feet, it can travel 250K feet laterally. And can do this stealthily. That gives friendly Gov'ts or Gov'ts who wish to be cooperative but who have home town contingencies to deal with, a lot of deniability. Meaning if we stay outside 12 mile territorial limits, and launch at 50K feet, we can still strike some 200 miles inland without ever tipping our hand.

Mr Sweeney had it correctly, the man was at war with us, the place where we caught up to him, was not at war with us. Hitting him with 5oo pounds of anything traveling some 900 mph did the job.

Remember in the Clancy book when a pickup is struck with a bomb to make it appear a carbomb was detonated? Not so fictional an account.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
:ek: Oooooo-Kaaaaayyyyy.....

Easier than sending "Men-In-Black" into a dangerzone, or foreign soveirign territory, I suppose.... :twisted:

·
Registered
814 Posts
That, and a force multiplier of a subtle sort. If the bad guys "know" that simply not seeing planes in the sky does not mean they are safe, they have to either got to a lot of extra effort to stay hidden or safe. Or, they have to accept that now and then inshallah is not just a daily ritual word.

Of course, the cost of that level of multiplication is millions of dollars, but we settled that particular argument a long time ago: we'd rather spend a truckload of money, than risk a person.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I expect in many quarters, deniability is the more important issue. In many areas of the world, Americans/Occidentals are too easily identified. We're too well fed, we're generally taller than the indigs, we have most of our teeth and the ones we have are in pretty decent condition.

Glide ratios have to take the elevation of the target into account. Unless the OP referred to a recent incident in the Gaza Strip, there have been more than one of these. That one allegedly did involve a warhead and there was reference to "a missle", which, I guess an air dropped bomb could be considered. There's been local speculation that allowing import of new vehicles in the certainty that the "important people" would end up with them assisted targeting. Along with the possibility of a few extra chips in the EMC.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Shhhh. Allowing/encouraging import of Mercedes/SUVs to target high-end folks (no-doubt with built in tracing and listening electronics) is very clever.

Who told you, and when? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts