Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walter R Walsh passed away at 106. I'm ashamed to say that I had never read or heard anything about him until I ran across this obit on my Facebook feed a few minutes ago.

Mr. Walsh was still winning handgun awards and coaching Olympic marksmen at 90, and aside from some hearing and memory loss, he was fit and continued to live alone at home. At the centennial of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 2008, he was recognized not only as the oldest living former agent, but also as older than the organization itself by more than a year.
Did anyone here know him? Given some of his "adventures" I'm kind of surprised I hadn't hear of him until tonight.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
As Grandmaw was wont to say on the passing of very old people, "Ah there was a man who feared the Devil!"
Geoff
Who is not pleased with the FBI disregarding the rights of free citizens of the Republic.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That man lived one heckuva life. Don't feel bad, Solomon. I didn't know of him either, at least not till Bro' Mas wrote about his passing on his blog on May 2nd.

I envy you, Charlie. You sure have met some interesting folks.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Thanks Terry. I have been lucky for sure.

Got to interview General LeMay, Louis Seecamp and Sam Cummings and spend a lot of time with bright people like engineers and chemists who make all this stuff work. I sat next to Bill Jordan on a plane leaving the shot show and see him get nose to nose with Charles Askins after Askins wrote a column saying he invented the "river holster".

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks Terry. I have been lucky for sure.

Got to interview General LeMay, Louis Seecamp and Sam Cummings and spend a lot of time with bright people like engineers and chemists who make all this stuff work. I sat next to Bill Jordan on a plane leaving the shot show and see him get nose to nose with Charles Askins after Askins wrote a column saying he invented the "river holster".
I got to meet General LeMay at the USAF SP Rifle/Pistol team matches in San Antonio in '79. A small man in stature, but an impressive guy none the less.

Okay, how far did Bill Jordan have to bend over to get nose to nose with Askins? ;) (I always pictured him as an averaged sized guy) And I would have dearly loved to have been there for that!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
When I was a "wet behind the ears kid", my father took me to see his friend (by then retired) CPT M.T. "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas, who my dad had made friends with during the Kilgore Oil Boom "mess".
(He had introduced me to the CPT before, at a time when I was little enough to be invited to in his lap.)
It just so happened that Chief Inspector Bill Jordan (of USBP fame) was visiting The Lone Wolf at that point & I got to meet Mr. Jordan, too.

As Inspector Jordan was VERY tall & The Lone Wolf was VERY short (He was 62" tall & weighed 104 pounds when he was sworn into the Ranger Service) , my dad asked Jordan to sit down in a chair so that he could make a candid photo of them together.
(I'd guess that you could say, "GIANTS come in all sizes." = CHUCKLE.)

yours, sw

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I guess I could have been a bit more cllear. Jordan sat next to me on the plane . The confrontation took place on the floor of the shot show in front of the AHG booth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts