Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have been a Warren Zevon fan. It shook me up when I recently learned that he was dying of cancer. I came across the below article and feel it deserved to be shown here. I have also included a link to the NY Times site where you can read the article and see some images of Zevon.

Fernando

In His Time of Dying

January 26, 2003 By JON PARELES

In the lobby of the Ed Sullivan Theater, two perky handlers for ''The Late Show With David Letterman'' were giving their nightly pep talk to the people headed for the front rows. They encouraged laughter, the more enthusiastic the better. They warned against whistling, which could overload the microphones. They also had one more caution. ''If you hear sad news, don't make that sympathy sound,'' one instructed. ''You know, 'Awwwwww. . . . ' ''

The audience understood why. The show's only guest would be Warren Zevon, the songwriter known for the twisted humor of songs like ''Lawyers, Guns and Money,'' ''Werewolves of London'' and ''Poor Poor Pitiful Me'' and for troubled love songs like ''Hasten Down the Wind'' and ''Accidentally Like a Martyr.'' Zevon, 56, is a dying man.

He has mesothelioma: the same kind of lung cancer, he dryly noted, that killed Steve McQueen. He has been informed he has only months to live. And in the part of that time that he is not spending with family and friends, he is writing and recording songs.

click here to go the complete article

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the latest on Warren Zevon's condition...

Ailing Zevon's album brings artists together in emotional tribute

By Geoff Boucher
Los Angeles Times
Originally published August 19, 2003

Warren Zevon is dying, and he wants to make a record."

It was a jolting and macabre message to be sure, and that only propelled it faster through the wiring of famous friends, managers, agents and labels that links rock musicians to one another.

The ones who know Zevon best probably allowed themselves a sad smile. This was exactly the sort of thing you would expect from the singer-songwriter, whose grim and funny music always seemed like a margarita stand in a mausoleum - sure, the songs all seemed to say, have some fun, just don't forget where this big party is going to end.

Click Here for the complete story.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there are any Zevon fans here you should show him your support and buy a copy of "The Wind". He is running out of time and it would be great if he knew just how much his fans love his work.

You can order the album from either VH1 or Amazon.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Got a copy after hearing a couple of cuts on Imus. Ain't really party music, but considering the circumstances I didn't expect any. Lawyers, Guns and $, as well as Roland are on my top 20. I gotta say he's going out with his boots on...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fernando, I already have a copy of "The Wind" coming from Tower records. "Excitable Boy" has been in my collection for a loooong time...

Warren's gonna be missed.

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the last song on "The Wind". I hope everyone that has read this thread has gone out and bought the cd.

Fernando

Keep Me In Your Heart
Written by Warren Zevon & Jorge Calderon

Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for awhile

If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less

When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun

There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo